Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Do I understand someone has posted instructions on how to install the Ducati heated grips? I tried the forum search function with no love. Can someone direct me to instructions?

Since we're on the topic, has anyone found heated grips they prefer to the Ducati heated grips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
489 Posts
The installation instruction itself comes with the grips. The bike is prewired. The harness you should connect the grips to is under the gas tank. You can use this link to see the workshop manual that will go in the details of how to remove the gas tank - technical documentation. But in short you have to remove all front fairings including the beak and the gas tank cover. That will enable you to remove the gas tank. After that its plug and play.

One more thing of note is that even after you have done that you would still have to make a trip to your local dealer to enable them in the bike's computer. I think having a Tuneboy might remove that need but I am not 100% sure on that.

Hope that helps.

Hi All,

Do I understand someone has posted instructions on how to install the Ducati heated grips? I tried the forum search function with no love. Can someone direct me to instructions?

Since we're on the topic, has anyone found heated grips they prefer to the Ducati heated grips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responses, guys! I may roll withthe Ducati factory set-up, however like the idea of finding an aftermarket that is cheaper and that gives better adjustabilty of the heat (understand only the low setting on the Ducati grips is usable, as the mid/Hi ar too hot).

·
Registered
489 Posts
I rode with mid this morning in a 45 degree weather and in summer perforated gloves :)

Factory setup once done is a lot cleaner. Not sure if it matters to your aesthetic eye or not. It did to me.

Good luck.

Thanks for responses, guys! I may roll withthe Ducati factory set-up, however like the idea of finding an aftermarket that is cheaper and that gives better adjustabilty of the heat (understand only the low setting on the Ducati grips is usable, as the mid/Hi ar too hot).

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I rode with mid this morning in a 45 degree weather and in summer perforated gloves :)

Factory setup once done is a lot cleaner. Not sure if it matters to your aesthetic eye or not. It did to me.

Good luck.
That sounds nice! I tried tuning mine on but I wouldnt notice anything. How long before they start heating up? I pushed the starter button for a couple of secs and nothing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, aesthetics will count for me. I'd not want a fugly frankenswitch bolted on to the handlebar if it can be avoided. This is in part why I am considering the Ducati system. But Oy!, it's spendy! Guess that's the price of admission to Ducati-land!

·
Registered
602 Posts
That sounds nice! I tried tuning mine on but I wouldnt notice anything. How long before they start heating up? I pushed the starter button for a couple of secs and nothing.
Do you have heated grips? If you do, did you install them yourself? If you do and you did, has your Duc shop plugged in the DDS to your Multi to activate the heaters?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Do you have heated grips? If you do, did you install them yourself? If you do and you did, has your Duc shop plugged in the DDS to your Multi to activate the heaters?
It is supposed to. The dealer installed them for me before the purchase. I just dont see them working. The button is the one with the killswitch right? I feel so dumb.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The button is the one with the killswitch right?
Actually it is the starter button. I would suggest for you to read the part of the operators manual regarding the heaters and if you have no success have your dealership demonstrate how/if they function.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is supposed to. The dealer installed them for me before the purchase. I just dont see them working. The button is the one with the killswitch right? I feel so dumb.
pressing the starter button with engine running brings up the heated grip menu on the dash - you have to toggle On and then select level if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It is the starter button that you press and cycle through the heated grips menu. But only when the bike is running.

If you look at the picture below the heated grips menu should be in the round part of the dash on the right where it shows modes:

If your dealer set it up for you then maybe they forgot to turn it on electronically. The grips are plug and play. But still have to be electronically enabled.

·
Registered
489 Posts
P.S. If you turn them on the Max setting you should start feeling it within a minute or two for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Heated Grip install

I installed the grips on my bike a couple weeks ago. It's nice to have a helper for removal of the beak (if you do it in one piece) and removal of the tank. The plugins are under the tank up by the headstock. You'll find a bundle of electrical stuff covered by a rubber sleeve. Open the sleeve and roll it back, fumble around in that mess of wires and there are two identical plugins that have a dummy plug (blank) inserted into them. Remove that blank insert and your ready to plug in your grips. It's the same setup as you'll find at the GPS power plug available on the left side of the bike just below the ECU. Tank removal has a couple tricky steps. First you'll need to separate the relay blocks from the mounting hardward that is attached to the tank. One block just slides up and out, the other requires pushing the rubber tit out of its hole (PIA to get back in). Once the relay blocks are loose you can cut the zip ties holding the wiring harness to the tank. For removing the tank I stood on the left side of the bike, lifted the back end of the tank and kind of pulled/rolled it towards me. In the mean time a helper needs to keep and eye on the front fairing and spread it open a little bit and keep and eye on the relay holder bracket that it doesn't catch on or scratch the fairing (especially during installation). The rest of it is basically unscrewing fairing bits and disconnecting connectors. Put a rag under the fuel connections before you disconnect since a few tablespoons of gas will dribble out. Total job took about four hours of uninterrupted time. Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts