Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current Multi 2013 Pikes Peak has this serious problem:
- Driving on freeways, I was keeping the throttle stable, unchanged. After 4 to 5 seconds (without changing the throttle), the bike started losing steam. The speed remained the same, engine RPM was too. But the fuel consumption increased a lot and I felt the bike was losing power. After I released the throttle, increased the throttle and kept the throttle stable, the symptom was repeated.

Could you guys please tell me what problem the bike was having?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm guessing you have a bad throttle assembly, these are all ride by wire now, so it's all electronics.

But what I don't understand, you said speed, rpm all remained the same, but you are losing power and your fuel consumption is going up, so where is it losing steam? Where are you getting indication that fuel consumption is going up, from your dash?

The other thought is your clutch plates are worn and slipping, but that usually is indicated by a rise in rpm with no corresponding speed change.

Reactions: cwelkie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing you have a bad throttle assembly, these are all ride by wire now, so it's all electronics.

But what I don't understand, you said speed, rpm all remained the same, but you are losing power and your fuel consumption is going up, so where is it losing steam? Where are you getting indication that fuel consumption is going up, from your dash?

The other thought is your clutch plates are worn and slipping, but that usually is indicated by a rise in rpm with no corresponding speed change.
Thank you for your answer! Let me explain again, with constant throttle, RPM, Speed remained the same but the bike was lugging and yes the fuel consumption (as reported on the dashboard) increased a lot (I guess the bike needed more fuel just to produce the same power, which is the big problem). To fix it, I just need to release the throttle and then pull it again, but then after a few seconds with constant throttle, the problem happened again!.

·
Registered
869 Posts
What kind of rpm's and speed is this happening at?

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Timing retard due to really bad knock? It would cause all the things you're describing but I've never seen a vehicle respond to bad gas the way you're describing.

With OBD2 the ECU trims the timing in bands (load dependent) and can slew that trim value pretty quickly... but I've no idea how the 13 ecu manages timing and knock sensing. Seems like if it did detect knock and adjust timing it wouldn't recover so quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timing retard due to really bad knock? It would cause all the things you're describing but I've never seen a vehicle respond to bad gas the way you're describing.

With OBD2 the ECU trims the timing in bands (load dependent) and can slew that trim value pretty quickly... but I've no idea how the 13 ecu manages timing and knock sensing. Seems like if it did detect knock and adjust timing it wouldn't recover so quickly.
Let me describe it again: let's say I am riding at 60km/h, 2nd gear, RPM is about 4k. The fuel consumption is at 6l/100km. After a few seconds with constant throttle, the bike starts losing its steam (lugging), and weak, the fuel consumption keeps climbing to about 9l/100km and stays there. To resolve the problem, I need to release the throttle and pull it back. But then a few seconds later with constant throttle, the problem resurfaces.

What should I do? The bike was desmoed 3 weeks ago.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Wonder if one cylinder is cutting out? Rpms and speed may stay the same, but you'd be riding a 600 instead of a 1200, and would definitely feel a loss of power.

Can't explain the increased fuel consumption though...

·
Registered
348 Posts
1 cylinder

Wonder if one cylinder is cutting out? Rpms and speed may stay the same, but you'd be riding a 600 instead of a 1200, and would definitely feel a loss of power.

Can't explain the increased fuel consumption though...
IMHO, if you had 1 cylinder not firing the ECU would try to keep the RPM at what the throttle was set to by feeding in more fuel, that's how RBW systems work.

at my last desmo service the techs found that both my main plug leads where shot and my secondary plug leads where way out of spec, they replaced the whole set under warranty. Faulty plug leads could cause the problem you describe (so could a lot of other things as well). may be worth checking but ducati OEM plug leads are mucho $$, try MAGNECOR Race Wires: WELCOME TO MAGNECOR!

best of luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts