Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just got the Shift-Tech gas cap for my Multistrada (2019 Pikes Peak), model ST1286. I did some searching for info but I can't find instructions for installation of the cap - or, rather, removing the top part of the old one. I've taken out the six bolts but the original gas cap doesn't want to come out.

Is there something else I have to do, other than carefully using a bit more force?

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi all,

I just got the Shift-Tech gas cap for my Multistrada (2019 Pikes Peak), model ST1286. I did some searching for info but I can't find instructions for installation of the cap - or, rather, removing the top part of the old one. I've taken out the six bolts but the original gas cap doesn't want to come out.

Is there something else I have to do, other than carefully using a bit more force?

Thanks!

Could be the 2 vent hoses if its the same as the 1200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is a good question...I have one too but something didn't feel right when pulling up the stock cap so I abandoned it. Would love to know if anyone has any directions or insight. I have an 18 1260....

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
Could be the 2 vent hoses if its the same as the 1200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Different bike homie. But could still apply, suggest the OP look to see if he still retains the evap canister.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
it's for the Scrambler but it's the same principle as for the 1260 cap, you can also search youtube for TWM gas cap. You remove the oem cap, split it and mount our cap to the oem base section, sounds confusing but once you look at some of the videos online you will see how it goes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve changed mine and took the tank cover off, from experience it’s the only way to do it.

The good news is you only need a 3mm and 4mm Allen key to do the job. Both side panels (front and mid) need to come off to access all the fixings for the cover. Then just gently ease the cover off.

When reassembling I sprayed some WD40 round the seal to make it a little easier.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Quick questions for you guys:
What's the big attraction to replace your locking fuel cap on a sport touring bike?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want to get the shift gas cap because its annoying to shove the thick gas pipe in the tank since the oem gas cap keeps coming in the way. No other reason.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Shift Tech Cap on my Scrambler. Very Nice stuff, But alil tricky to figure out how to put it on.

On my MTS I went with the SSR Cap. It fits on super easy and its a complete replacement. No Need to Split the oem cap from the plastic. Remove all of it, and bolt on the SSR.

I have a pic of in my build thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts