Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Installing motowheels slipper clutch...HELP!

9740 Views 30 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  JDuc
We're currently installing our MotoWheels slipper clutches:

Linky

We took one of them appart from how it came from Motowheels, started installing and left the other one intact so we could tell the order of everything when putting the first one back together.

Well...we're confused.

You put the basket in, and put all those bolts in, then you put the hub in, then put the plates in, then there's this spider spring. It has 6 legs. It goes in, then there's this washer that fits down in the hole that goes around the push rod. Then there's the nut that holds all that together...

Then what?

The way it all came from Motowheels, the next thing is this steel curved washer then this thicker standoff....but how are you supposed to keep the washer in place? It drops down and hangs off of the pushrod and there's no way to hold it in place, same with the thicker standoff washer.

I put a bit of grease on the steel washer and placed it against the nut to hold it in place, then put everything together, put the 6 springs in and tightened everything down.

When I pull the clutch, it doesn't pull even, the pressure plate doesn't pull in evenly and I'm sure that's not right!

Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone?
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
no mechanical know how?

how about a degree in mechanical and manufacturing engineering technologies from one of the top engineering schools in the nation?

how about working for race teams myself? (not just mearly working for a mechanic, probably just handed the guy the tools he asked for....heh)

The simple fact of the matter is that installing the slipper clutch without removing the spacer and replacing it with the two pieces in question, did no damage whatsoever. It also didn't make a difference when we installed the two pieces that were in question. This was the only area where we were truely stumped.

Having mechanical know how includes knowing when to ask questions. Having mechanical know how includes being willing to try things on your own, and not forking over hundreds of dollars to someone else on something as simple as a clutch install simply because you don't want to do it or don't have the nuts enough to even attempt it.

I'd appreciate your not coming in here and trying to exert some superiority over someone you know absolutely nothing about, because quite honnestly, it shows your age.

On another note, thanks to everyone who actually came in here with some insight. Especially blade625CT. Your last post was the one that we needed.

Even without pulling that piece, when we installed everything the first time and left the two pieces in question out, it still did it's job just fine. We pulled that spacer and installed the two pieces and everything works just fine, the same as if we hadn't of removed that spacer infact.

I do have a concern about placing a friction plate against the metal ring that's around the slipper portion. Those flat topped screws that are recessed into the ring are NOT 100% flat. We're concerned that putting a friction plate against that will eat up the friction material in a heart beat. We just want to check on that.

BTW: I've hosted pics of the process here:
http://www.mj-garage.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=1

If anyone sees anything stated wrong please let me know.

· Registered
309 Posts
since it is hard to read clutch stacking is
1.Friction
2. 1.5mm dished steel
3. friction
4. steel 2.0 mm
5. friction
6. steel 2.0mm
7. friction
8.steel 2.0mm
9.friction
10. steel2.0mm
11. friction
12.steel2.0mm
13. friction
14.1.5 dished steel
15. friction
16. steel 2.0mm
There will be 2 steel plates left over ( a 1.5 and a 2.0mm)so that you can adjust the amount of back torque slip by removing say, a friction and installing one of the steels.
Anyway hope this helps
J

Attachments

· Registered
309 Posts
thisnjducquacks said:
mmm yeaaa....
Part of the reason in having a forum like this is to help others with the same interest as you(Ducati's).
I am part of the "old school" mentality that believes owning a bike means also working on it YOURSELF and not just throwing money at it and trusting some mmi flunky to make things right.

I also understand that there are newbs that can't do squat(not meant for the O.P)
This is why my friends and I have, about once a year a "Tech" day to help and show the mechanically challenged how to maintain their own bikes.

I don't get why some people have to try and shit on someone else for asking advice.
Guess it makes them feel superior, when in actuality it makes them look foolish.

J-

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I really appreciate your post 2DucJ. I wonder why MotoWheels doesn't send out that exploded view with these kits? It's something I would consider manditory when shipping a product like this. It sure would save on the Advil on their end from having to answer a bunch of questions, etc.

:)

G

·
O i work on my bike please dont be confused by that...however...i would never tackle a project without making sure i knew what i was doing...ie have instructions...thats just me...IMHO...anyways not gonna argue not worth the time...and dont glorify yourself so much who doesnt work on their bike that owns one...(not many)...throwing money at a problem might be(not saying this is you) but going at a tech issue with your bike having no idea what your doing...in the end your dealer is prolly gonna fix it

· Registered
309 Posts
JDuc said:
I really appreciate your post 2DucJ. I wonder why MotoWheels doesn't send out that exploded view with these kits? It's something I would consider manditory when shipping a product like this. It sure would save on the Advil on their end from having to answer a bunch of questions, etc.

They probably would be getting calls saying "What does it say? I can't read what it says on the right" :p

· Registered
309 Posts
2DucJ said:
I also understand that there are newbs that can't do squat(not meant for the O.P)
This is why my friends and I have, about once a year a "Tech" day to help and show the mechanically challenged how to maintain their own bikes.

J-
:D That is all

· Registered
92 Posts
This njducquacks:
Dude you gotta chill man, your not making any friends here. Come on, think before you speak. Or please don't. Guy asks a question, that's why this forum exists. He does not need some smart ass dissing him, If he wants to work on his bike, so be it. If he [email protected]&ks it up, he pays. Done deal.
Kind of like everyone else here. Just a dude trying his best to do what he enjoys. Kind of like you?

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
it's all taken care of now.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.