Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Installing motowheels slipper clutch...HELP!

9742 Views 30 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  JDuc
We're currently installing our MotoWheels slipper clutches:

Linky

We took one of them appart from how it came from Motowheels, started installing and left the other one intact so we could tell the order of everything when putting the first one back together.

Well...we're confused.

You put the basket in, and put all those bolts in, then you put the hub in, then put the plates in, then there's this spider spring. It has 6 legs. It goes in, then there's this washer that fits down in the hole that goes around the push rod. Then there's the nut that holds all that together...

Then what?

The way it all came from Motowheels, the next thing is this steel curved washer then this thicker standoff....but how are you supposed to keep the washer in place? It drops down and hangs off of the pushrod and there's no way to hold it in place, same with the thicker standoff washer.

I put a bit of grease on the steel washer and placed it against the nut to hold it in place, then put everything together, put the 6 springs in and tightened everything down.

When I pull the clutch, it doesn't pull even, the pressure plate doesn't pull in evenly and I'm sure that's not right!

Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
309 Posts
I have a m.w slipper clutch in my 996.
i made the same mistake on thinking it was the same as the STM..It isn't.
If you have a fax I can send you a copy of the instructions.
BTyou don't use all the steel drive plates, they give you etra ones so you can adjust the stack and slip.

J

· Registered
309 Posts
since it is hard to read clutch stacking is
1.Friction
2. 1.5mm dished steel
3. friction
4. steel 2.0 mm
5. friction
6. steel 2.0mm
7. friction
8.steel 2.0mm
9.friction
10. steel2.0mm
11. friction
12.steel2.0mm
13. friction
14.1.5 dished steel
15. friction
16. steel 2.0mm
There will be 2 steel plates left over ( a 1.5 and a 2.0mm)so that you can adjust the amount of back torque slip by removing say, a friction and installing one of the steels.
Anyway hope this helps
J

Attachments

· Registered
309 Posts
thisnjducquacks said:
mmm yeaaa....
Part of the reason in having a forum like this is to help others with the same interest as you(Ducati's).
I am part of the "old school" mentality that believes owning a bike means also working on it YOURSELF and not just throwing money at it and trusting some mmi flunky to make things right.

I also understand that there are newbs that can't do squat(not meant for the O.P)
This is why my friends and I have, about once a year a "Tech" day to help and show the mechanically challenged how to maintain their own bikes.

I don't get why some people have to try and shit on someone else for asking advice.
Guess it makes them feel superior, when in actuality it makes them look foolish.

J-

· Registered
309 Posts
JDuc said:
I really appreciate your post 2DucJ. I wonder why MotoWheels doesn't send out that exploded view with these kits? It's something I would consider manditory when shipping a product like this. It sure would save on the Advil on their end from having to answer a bunch of questions, etc.

:)
They probably would be getting calls saying "What does it say? I can't read what it says on the right" :p

· Registered
309 Posts
2DucJ said:
I also understand that there are newbs that can't do squat(not meant for the O.P)
This is why my friends and I have, about once a year a "Tech" day to help and show the mechanically challenged how to maintain their own bikes.

J-
:D That is all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.