Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,
I thought you may want to know I have officially taken on the role of Ducati Sport Classic/Paul Smart Converti-Bar Guinea Pig.

I ordered and received the full system from them yesterday. I have always been told that these folks are first rate both in product design, build quality, and customer service. The Converti-Bar experience is everything so far I have heard and read. If they work as well as they appear they will, these guys make a product and run a company the way you would expect, but rarely experience in life. Everything from the customer servcie to the timely delivery and quality of instructions and packaging is very well thought out.

I should have them on the bike by Monday night after work. I expect the position of the grips will be moved back somewhere around 1 1/2" to 2" closer to the rider (they are multi adjustable though) and I'll likely raise them about 1" higher than the clip-ons when they're slid up to the base of the top tree.

I'll keep everyone tuned...-Capt

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You bet I will. They are very clean and "finished" looking. I think they will blend in real well and add to the high-quality appearance. -Capt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dale,
Use the universal kit for 50mm legs. If you go this route, go ahead a get thier bar-ends at the same time. The stock bar-ends are just black plastic/urethane(?) caps. You'll need a set of real bar-ends. And they're cheap...$9.95 for a set when you order the whole kit. Top quality stuff, much less in price than using ST3's or others. Lots of fitment options as they're adjustable...kinda like a Rubik's Cube... -Capt

·
Registered
66 Posts
New here, and ready for the results

Great to see some of the same guys from the Yahoo sportclassic group. I PM'd you about the Convertibar install, but this is as good as you can get, lots of people who want to know. How did it go? Any room on the PS1000 for the high angle convertibars? Any troubles with fairing clearance? Did everything fit? Inquiring minds and bikes want to know.
It's interesting to read the convertibars home page, 4 different cycle mags that featured articles about these convertibars! Must be a common problem with us aging baby boomers---- Huh me?
Thanks Capt,
Tom Muller
PS1000LE and a old 77 Darmah Bevel Drive

·
Registered
623 Posts
My dealer told me the raised clip-ons from the ST3 fit the Sport. Don't know about the PS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Converti-bars Update

Hi guys (Tom specifically),
The Converti-bars are a very nice package. On the PS (which is my model) there are some clearance issues, but I don't believe it will ultimately present much of a problem. Here's why: (and this was a primary force in me selecting the Converti option) because they are designed to rotate multi-directional, you can adjust the clip-ons back toward the rider. As you rotate the grips back, the clearance issues become less (if at all) a problem as the vertical clearance rises substantially.
Now that said, you will need to do 2 things.

#1 adjust the fork-stops to reduce the turning radius. It's not that bad, and you can leave enough "sweep" for turning in fairly tight areas. For me, having a very short turning radius is not necessary so I don't mind some reduction. -But, it needs to be considered, if you going to change you clip-ons, at all. (I have reduced my stops (moving them out) about 5/32" (aprx.)

#2 You will need longer throttle cables. This is due to the fact that as you rotate the clip-ons back, the radius the cable has to travel around the tube increase making for a tight fit, which is not acceptable.
I am in the process of installing a set of Ducati cables for another model I believe will be compatible, after careful evaluation, measuring, etc. Unfortunately, (and this is why I have not yet updated everyone) I am taracking them from Italy. They should have been here in the last several days, but haven't shown up yet. I expect that I will know more on Monday the 16th, Wednesday at the latest. As an alternative, Terry Cable will lengthen your OEM cables for about $35/per and does this in about 2 weeks.

The converti-bars do work very well, and offer a great deal of adjustment. My goal though has not been height as much as reducing the reach (thereby elevating the rider's body in the process). The ST3 risers are like $450 USD and are not adjustable (to my understanding) and that's just too much. I understand Ducati HAS DEVELOPED and is selling risers with 40mm increase for the Sport for about $100. This sounds good too, though not a custom fit like Converti's product. Hope this all helps! Also hope to have pix and final feedback/adjustments to all soon!!!!-Capt

·
Registered
66 Posts
kingcapt said:
Hi guys (Tom specifically),

#1 adjust the fork-stops to reduce the turning radius. (I have reduced my stops (moving them out) about 5/32" (aprx.)

#2 You will need longer throttle cables. As an alternative, Terry Cable will lengthen your OEM cables for about $35/per and does this in about 2 weeks.

My goal though has not been height as much as reducing the reach (thereby elevating the rider's body in the process). Capt
Great info Capt.! The turning radius is absolutely a non-issue for me, I noticed at slow speeds my Smart tends to be very difficult to handle normally. It wants speed, below 5 MPH I have to keep my boots down and ready to steady the balance, conversely the faster I go 90+MPH it rides on rails.
Regarding the cable length, I'm sure the whole thing is electronic, no mechanical connections to the handlebars that I can find, so the trick will be to drag out the soldering iron, and some shrink tubing, and extend the length.
I'm (and others) are really interested in how it all works out for the conversion. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent staring at my stock clipons trying to imagine how much room I'll have with the convertibars for hydraulic lines, electronic cables and clearance issues. If the imported cable assembly you are expecting works out, It will be a major coup for us who don't want to take a chance making the standard wiring harness a lot uglier with a badly soldered connections, and the probable intermittent connections that result from a poor job. It's an interesting predicament that's unique to the Paul Smart, everyone else can modify without worrying about the fairing.
I hope to work through this one myself, in the next week my bike goes to Pro Italia for the 600 mile service, it will be interesting to have an expert with lots of experience to field some of these questions.
Thanks for coming through with the invaluable info Capt.
Best to all, and Happy Easter,
Tom Muller

·
Registered
131 Posts
wa6usa said:
Great info Capt.! The turning radius is absolutely a non-issue for me, I noticed at slow speeds my Smart tends to be very difficult to handle normally.

Regarding the cable length, I'm sure the whole thing is electronic, no mechanical connections to the handlebars that I can find, so the trick will be to drag out the soldering iron

It's an interesting predicament that's unique to the Paul Smart, everyone else can modify without worrying about the fairing.
Tom Muller
I love how well the PS handles at walking speeds, and the turning radius is fantastic for moving the bike around. Think about getting used to her at slow speed first, it really is a well balanced bike with moderate steering geometry.

Pretty sure the throttle cable is a pull cable with spring return.

Lots of folks on the Supersport forums have been through all this with every type of risers, bars, cable mods, fairing support mods etc trying to squeeze more comfort out of them. I spent hours and hours fine tuning my SS with CycleCat risers and custom length bars and without bending my fairing support struts to get vertical clearance, I am 1/2" more rise and a little more comfy angle, at a cost of $450. Some folks start bending fairing supports and the plastic fairing will flex to accommodate. However on your PS I would think about what putting preload on those components will do to the life of them.

Another thing to consider before making mods, check the finger clearance between grip and fairing at parking lot full lock maneuvers

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, SS is corrrrrect, Sir! teh throttle is actuated by 2 cables: push/pull arrangement. The wiring harness, switch gear will not need to be altered unless you are planning on mounting a set of 18" Ape Hangars. The Throttle cables require additional length if you are set on rotating the clip-ons rearward toward the rider. This is because the cable needs to wrap around the fork tube. The only time you would need to add cable length is if your purpose was rotating the bars further back. Height adjustments (within the limits of the PS fairing) do not require additional cable length.

And whatever you do, don't stress anything, whether it's the fairing supports, wiring harness, brake lines, etc. If your going to make a modification, always do it at least as cleanly and professionally as the factory would. Never allow anyone to degrade the fit, functionality, or appearance of yer scoot for the sake of some gizmo. -Capt

·
Registered
76 Posts
E bay?

Wasthat your bike on Ebay? Sorry you are selling.

I wasjust about to get the Cycle Cats but after I saw your pictures I'm going to do the convertibar set up. I read all the st3 and 100.00 riser tips too.

I got st3 risers on my o6 SC but the smart with the fairing will take some extra work. I lowered the bike and got a custom seat from Sargent. I think the converti bars with all that will give me max comfprt at 5'4" and short arms and inseam? :)

Did you have to relocate your reservoirs or lengthen your cables?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, that's my baby.
You'll need longer cables. I used 1000DS Multi-Strada cables, as they were "push/pull" style cables. The Converti's work well. They provide you with quite a bit of adjustability. And they are top-shelf quality items. -You'll likely find that a substantial part of the "comfort-factor" is bringing the grips closer to the rider's position. The height isn't necessarily the main issue. It's the stretch that distorts the rider's geometry, or body position that causes the discomfort. Good luck with the mods. -Capt

·
Registered
276 Posts
I jumped on cycle cats, I'll have to see how yours goes. I have an ST3, so it won't be a dorect comparison.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hi,

which model cycle cats did you get for your sport classic?

thanks. :)

ducaati said:
I jumped on cycle cats, I'll have to see how yours goes. I have an ST3, so it won't be a dorect comparison.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cycle Cats

I noticed that the Cycle Cat has an "F" riser and an "S" riser. The difference is that the "S" puts the clip on more to the side than on the front of the fork. This might have the same effect as the convertibar moving the bar back and up rather than just up. Clearance of the fairing and shortening the reach to the bars could be accomplished same as the convertibar but with the Cycyle Cat looks. I haven't pulled the trigger because the extra "downtube" of the convertibar that lays alongside the fork kinda turns me off.

I was thinking of getting the Cycle Cat DBR-7 but asking for an "S" riser with 2inches of rise. :D Any one have any real world experience with this?

·
Registered
285 Posts
No Go with the cycle cat

I had been waiting on Cyclecat to get these bars out to me since early this year, then I hear they will be available in May...well it's August and It's time for Cycle cat shove off. I'll never buy another thing from them again.

I looked at the convertibar option and went for it. Hopefully they will be here soon. I too did not like the look of the lower portion of the clipon hanging down but, you can't see much behind the fairing for one, and two, I'll cut that crapper off once adjusted to my liking. Problem solved, now I just need to order up those longer cables!!! Shite.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I 'll be waiting to hear. Strange about Cycle Cat, they shipped to me very quickly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts