Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an Evotech TT on a Monster last year and although it was essentially easy there were a few tips posted by forum members that made the job much easier. There were several photo essays for the Monster, but I believe it's a more-involved install.

I've seen nothing like that for the SF so I assume it's a piece of cake. That would be good.

Is it as simple as it seems? Any dos or don'ts to be aware of?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You sir are correct, it is very easy. When I installed the motowheels tail tidy I was easily able to remove the OEM license plate hunk of metal. The tail tidy bolted right in with the stock bolts. I even removed the tail fairing and installed the stock signals in the vents. Everything easily came apart and went back together with no problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright I'm an idiot.

I removed the two larger flathead bolts from the fender unit (located underneath the rear section of the bike) but that fender didn't want to budge. My lighting sucked so I could only see two additional bolts to loosen and they were on the signals. Not surprisingly, loosening those two bolts didn't really help the fender drop.

So what am I missing? Where are the additional bolts that need to be loosened before this damn fender unit will pop down?

·
Registered
798 Posts
You can find exploded assembly drawings of the entire bike in the Spare Parts Manual on the Ducati website. I tried to attach it but it's too big for the forum software.

-Mike

·
Registered
230 Posts
Anything has got be easier than the Comp Werkes FE. Had to do it twice...first on my SF848, then on my SFS. Geez!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've installed two Evotech tails and in both instances the instructions were useless and misleading. Tonight's install was no exception. It's best just to go with common sense and ignore the instructions altogether. Even the bit about mounting the signals (and the supporting diagram) was unnecessary.

I did blow a fuse (for the lights) which isn't uncommon. Easy fix.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those comments forced me to be more careful, but there was no pinching. The terminals for the license plate light did get away from me and make contact. Probably happened when I turned the bike on to check that I had the L and R signals in their proper places.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just finished my R&G tidy install; the tidy itself was fine but the wire cover was a PITA. it's just not big enough to get the wires in with the supplied connectors for the tail light lamps; I spent an hour dicking around with it. The net of it was, for the wire cover I got one screw in, and wound up using zip ties to hold it to the main piece.

The install was not too bad other than that, but the tidy/kit itself had three other flaws:
1. it did not fit correctly when first mounted, as the piece that extends up to hold the plate light contacted the bottom of the fairing, below the tail lights. I was able to bend it back into shape without an issue, but it was off.
2. The holes in the plate mount do not line up with the holes on my plate (RI fwiw). I'd think that license plates have a standard size, so this was weird. I wound up drilling new holes into my plate to get it fitted. Also, there was no mounting gear to attach the plate to the plate holder, which was ok as the ones supplied with the stock piece were reusable.
3. The directions, although direct, were rather brief and could use a little bit of expansion.

I like how it looks on the bike, but I need to take it off and fix the wire cover at some point. I might make some small spacers to give it more room, as the wires just don't fit. Also, I'll use small nuts and bolts as opposed to the supplied screws; one of them stripped the aluminum on the tidy when I was screwing it in (I overtightened it apparently).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sorry to hear that.

Luckily, this Evotech was properly constructed, it's just the instructions that sucked horribly, ironically, since it's the easiest part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts