Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a brief sequence showing installation of a Steering Damper on an 848SF. I used alternate bolts initially as I did not have the official Duc bolts the first go-round.

Consult the Ducati parts from 1098SF for what's needed. The lower handlebar bracket and the damper arm are the primary missing bits that the 848SF lacks. Removing the Ignition assembly bolts that were set with break off heads is the hardest part. After they are removed it's a simple assembly process that takes ~15 minutes.

1) Take apart key area to access ignition assembly:

2) Drill out and remove this bolt (2)pl using a #3 Ez-out:

3) You can use a couple $.75 bolts from your local Auto Parts as shown here or part #38 (from the Ducati microfiche) for $13. each

Note the washer underneath to provide similar height to the Arm Assembly as attained with the stock bolt.

4) Here are the Ducati bolts for the same application:

5) Tighten till heads break off:

Bolts in place:

6)Final assembly with a Bitubo Damper:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just bought all my parts from a 1098S needed to do this. Cost me about $140 for the setup and I got OEM damper from another member here as a trade.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Great job BD, looks pretty sweet!

I'd do that myself but it mounts right where I balance my six-pack:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Burndog,

Top write up, i had had three head shakes on bike in 2850miles, three to many.

I am going to fit a damper, please can you confirm that Ducati parts listed on your other thread, is all the parts required.

Thanks for info.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Burndog,

please can you confirm that Ducati parts listed on your other thread, is all the parts required.

Thanks for info.
Hello,
The other part list (from another thread) was not 100% accurate as I ordered a couple extra bits and missed the weird screws pictured in the OP (#38).

From the Microfiche image these are the parts you need:
31 - lower bar clamp
32 - damper arm
33 - nut to hold to part #38
38 (or alternate bolt from local auto parts)

Not sure you need these as I think they come with the Bitubo kit:

Regarding the alternate screws, consider these at your own risk. I installed them and had no problems but I would hate to see a bind of some other case where someone got hurt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just want to say thanks to "Burndog" for taking on this retrofit and posting the details. I installed my Bitubo damper last night and it was relatively easy thanks to your instructions.

Cheers!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The side mount looks interesting, but I think I'm gonna go with the top mount version. Just not sure about removing those two bolts. But if I can do it with the vice grips, shouldn't be too difficult.

Is the stock damper adjustable?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts