Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a few questions on installing a front sprocket. I've got the service manual, and it says you have to slack the chain, and break the chain apart with a tool. Does this really need to be done? I would think you could just unbolt it, slide the sprocket off, replace with the new one, and just keep the chain together.

Any suggestions?

Larry

PS - I'm going one down in the front, so I can keep the stock chain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
loosen rear axle nut and put adjusters all the way forward. that should let the wheel go far enough forward to slacken the chain, and let you pull the sprocket out. if not you'll just have to take the back wheel off, and that'll definetly do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Sprocket replacement

Just replaced my front sprocket last week and had the same thoughts going in... Unfortunately, you will need to break the chain, as there is not enough clearance to simply remove it from the front sprocket, regardless of how slack the chain is. Make sure to have a proper masterlink on hand. Good luck and enjoy your new powerband.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the idea that you can unbolt the sprocket, slide it off with chain attached to it, replace sprocket into chain, and slide back on? Am I wrong on this one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
theoretically...it sounds right....also make sure you have some good degunker on hand to clean the chain while you are right there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Wow. Congrats to those who were able to replace the sprocket without removing the chain. That didn't work on mine.
Had to do it the hard way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Tron said:
I have the idea that you can unbolt the sprocket, slide it off with chain attached to it, replace sprocket into chain, and slide back on? Am I wrong on this one?
it can be done but the rear wheel should come off first, that is the easist way. or at least pushed forward enough to get the chain off the big sprocket first. "you can do it!" :think:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I got mine off without taking the chain off but to get the stock sprocket off I had to remove the clutch slave cylinder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
1stduc said:
I got mine off without taking the chain off but to get the stock sprocket off I had to remove the clutch slave cylinder
Did you have to remove the rear wheel for that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Front sprocket removal

Ist Duc is correct. Loosen the rear wheel and move it forward to loosen the chain. Remove the retaining screws for the clutch master cylinder and carefully move it out of the way; then remove the front sprocket. No need to remove the rear wheel. This is a 10 minute, or less, job. Make sure no one pulls the clutch lever while you have the master cylinger off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
wdbrown said:
Ist Duc is correct. Loosen the rear wheel and move it forward to loosen the chain. Remove the retaining screws for the clutch master cylinder and carefully move it out of the way; then remove the front sprocket. No need to remove the rear wheel. This is a 10 minute, or less, job. Make sure no one pulls the clutch lever while you have the master cylinger off.
Good stuff -- thanks!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top