Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new SC Project 2into1 exhaust along with the Leo Vince cat eliminator and DP 2into1 race ECU the other day (pics to follow!) and have a question about the VDST. When I first installed the ecu I hooked up the VDST and kind of fumbled my way through the TPS reset, but did it and the bike seemed to run nearly perfect as it was. I then adjusted the air screws slightly and the idle is now very steady at 1300. My maiden voyage was yesterday and not only am i in love with the new exhaust note, but also the power/drivability!

Based on what I had seen others using for the fuel trim setting I decided to go with a setting of 6 to start off with. Based on the smell of the exhaust it seems as though it may be running a little rich, but not too bad. So I went for another ride today to try it out again before knocking it down to a setting of 4, and after the ride decided to do it.

Now here's my question concerning the VDST... When I first hooked it up to reset the TPS and set the trim i kept getting a warning screen that said engine trouble each time I switched between different screens and then hit the throttle with the bike running. When the warning screen comes up and says engine trouble i click the button that says "OK" and it brings up the window that shows any trouble codes. However, there are no codes showing up and the bike runs fine. Have others using the VDST had this happen to them as well or do I have an actual problem that's just not showing up as a trouble code. I went through all the different menus in the VDST to try and see if I would see anything, but nothing... All systems seem to check out fine and I can see the O2 is disabled as it should along with the exhaust valve. I'm wondering if it because the O2 and the exhaust valve have been disconnected/removed that i see that warning window pop up :confused:

I'm not sure why I see that warning screen, but I just don't like it. Meanwhile the bike runs hard and has no popping on decel, and based on the smell of the exhaust it can't be lean. Hopefully this screen is nothing and everyone is expereincing the same thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke with one of the tech guys at Technoresearch about the warning screen that would pop up telling me I had "engine trouble":eek: but would show no codes or faults and the engine light in the dash wasn't coming on. He's checking into it, but he said he thought it was a bug in the software and advised me to download the latest software rev from their website. FYI they just put out a new revision on 3/19/09 so those of you using the VDST might want to download it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I currently have V3.01.B20, and have never seen the warning you describe.

The trim can vary with different bikes, pipes, etc. Mine smells a little rich too but so did my VRod when it ran its best. I'd be reluctant to change things too much just to meet a number but will eventually check the CO. Pull one of your plugs after a few days and see if it has some color compared to the chauk white of the stock setup.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
No prob with the VDST, I am running +14 on mine and she runs beautifully, getting about 165 - 175 km till the orange light of death comes on depending on how spirited we get.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got some pictures, but was kind of cramped being inside the garage. I'll update with some outside pics soon. FOr those wondering about the sound... It's Brutal! In a good way:D

·
Registered
243 Posts
firstly, that system looks ace ( I have the LV's on mine).
The only way to tell if your running properly is with a dyno/gas analyzer. With unleaded fuel, plugs and tail soot arent that useful ( only for very gross assessment). My fuel trim is at '0' and running perfect ( for a V twin) AFR's.
Before the dyno, I was pretty happy with +2. Started at +10 and it was WAY rich.
Thank for the heads up re the VDST software too.
Jonathan

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I would like to have it run on a dyno with gas analyzer but don't know of any in my area. I think BCM ducati in New Hampshire may be able to do it, but my local dealer doesn't have one. I thought it was old that the dealer didn't have one, but he's an old racer himself and got my HM running great when I first got it. Not sure what it was that did it, but it ran a lot stronger after he fiddled with it for 2 weeks.

Anyway, I never liked the single sided exhaust on the hyper, but after seeing this exhaust I had second thoughts and decided to go with it. The Leo Vince and the SC Project exhaust are very well made although there were no instructions with the exhaust... No Plate bracket or turn signal relocator bracket are supplied with it either. I ended up making my own brackets and used the original plate bracket and light from the stock license plate hanger. Nothing anyone couldn't make with a trip to home depot, dremel, and some paint. If anyone is interested I still have the templates for the plate bracket and the turn signal bracket.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have the same set up - ended up get an evotech tail tidy and butchering it up - its sounds fierce doesnt it :p
fierce is a good way of putting it! :)

Love the sound, look, and most importantly the extra power! Although it was alittle bit of money to get it all together, what a difference it makes. I love this bike even more now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quick question.... or two

First off, I love the way this pipe looks. I've been looking at the arrow system, I'm not real crazy about the termi 2 to 1, mainly do to the pipe route.... The SC Project exhaust looks awesome, I'm pretty sure it's the nicest 2 to 1 system for the hyper I've seen.
So the question is... looking at the website I wasn't real clear, but does the exhaust come with the carbon tail pieces?
Next question... if I get the pipe now, and don't remove the cat for the time being, can I keep the stock ECU in the bike, maybe with a fat duc?
Maybe a third and fourth question... was it super expensive to get it to the states and did it take long to get?
TIA

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off, I love the way this pipe looks. I've been looking at the arrow system, I'm not real crazy about the termi 2 to 1, mainly do to the pipe route.... The SC Project exhaust looks awesome, I'm pretty sure it's the nicest 2 to 1 system for the hyper I've seen.
So the question is... looking at the website I wasn't real clear, but does the exhaust come with the carbon tail pieces?
Next question... if I get the pipe now, and don't remove the cat for the time being, can I keep the stock ECU in the bike, maybe with a fat duc?
Maybe a third and fourth question... was it super expensive to get it to the states and did it take long to get?
TIA
I had the same thought about the termi 2-1. Seemed as though it just didn't fit the bike or flow with the lines as much. I liked how the sc project exhaust tucked in tight and was shorter. Yes, the sc exhaust came with the carbon panels which was another deciding factor. For $600 plus $120 to ship to the USA it was still a good buy despite having to make my own turn signal and plate brackets. You can use it with the stock cat and it should be fine with a fatduc as well. I actually have one that I'm no longer using since I no longer use the O2 sensor so if you want to buy it at a slightly lower price than new let me know. I only had it on the bike for about 500 miles before putting the bike away for the winter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More Pics

Got carried away with the artsy pics on a few, but for those who wanted to see it from the side.

·
Premium Member
2016 KTM Super Duke 1090R
189 Posts
:cool:looks good.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I really like that exhaust. Anyone knows if the muffler clamp can easily be moved farther down the subframe to make it sit more towards the center of the muffler rather then towards the upper edge as in the picture?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
2-1 plate + signal relocator

Yeah, I would like to have it run on a dyno with gas analyzer but don't know of any in my area. I think BCM ducati in New Hampshire may be able to do it, but my local dealer doesn't have one. I thought it was old that the dealer didn't have one, but he's an old racer himself and got my HM running great when I first got it. Not sure what it was that did it, but it ran a lot stronger after he fiddled with it for 2 weeks.

Anyway, I never liked the single sided exhaust on the hyper, but after seeing this exhaust I had second thoughts and decided to go with it. The Leo Vince and the SC Project exhaust are very well made although there were no instructions with the exhaust... No Plate bracket or turn signal relocator bracket are supplied with it either. I ended up making my own brackets and used the original plate bracket and light from the stock license plate hanger. Nothing anyone couldn't make with a trip to home depot, dremel, and some paint. If anyone is interested I still have the templates for the plate bracket and the turn signal bracket.
Hi MotoDuc

Would you be kind enough to post-up the templates for the number plate bracket and turn signal relocators you made? I'm in the same position (with the same kit) and would really benefit from them - and I'm sure others would too.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

This is a scan of the template i made for the license plate. The bracket for the turn signals isn't worth making since you can get it from ducati for less than $20.

This scan is to scale so you should be able to print it out and just trace it to a piece of stainless sheet metal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts