Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in process of looking at the MTS. I believe I have determined that this is the bike for me. I base this mostly on the riding position and the type of riding I do. Long distance journeys off highway and would like the ability to hit a dirt road now and again.

I need to RIDE one of these, but I continue to look.

Wondering what the opinion is on this bike listed for sale:

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2005-DUCATI-Multistrada-1000S-DS-90036496

Anyone with an 2005 model care to share their horror stories? I currently have a 1998 ST2 and brought it back from the dead-lots of money. Great bike, but I want something a little more upright.

Thanks.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think that is a great bike, but I think it is too expensive. At least where we live here in Cen Cal. I know of two bikes here locally that would rival that one, for 2-3k less. Perhaps it is our recession is deeper than yours up there in Seattle?

However, these multis are very easy to fall in love with. Particularly with your st background. Other than that, used multis will drop further in price as soon as the new replacement is rolled out.

My advise in a nutshell, is either find a cheaper one or wait for the new model to come out and play.

mark

·
Registered
560 Posts
Ooops. I see you are in Nor cal, isn't the bike you are interested in in Seattle?

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, that one is in WA and I live in CA. If I buy a used one, I want to find one with the bags-and anything else would be a bonus. I will be in San Francisco tomorrow and will take a look at a new one. Saw a white one today in Monterey. Buying a brand new one seems to have pros and cons. More money-and more will be spent on exhaust, bags, etc... A used one may be all setup, but may cost more if it wasn't well taken care of.... Also, trading in v.s. selling privately may be easier, less $$$ in my pocket but a dealer today said about $3,500 for my ST. I'd be lucky to get $1,000 more if I sold it outright I'm guessing. Maybe I'm wrong but selling a 10 year old bike can drag on for sure.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Way too much for a 2005 with 6500mi on it. Sorry fellas. I guess I got a steal for mine (despite the valve guide issue). You should be able to get a 2005 with 5k miles on it WITH the valve guides done for under $8k easy.

It is a nice looking bike. I just think you could do better. For that much money you could probably get a 2007 or 2008 with the same miles. Hell Pro Italia has an 06 with 1500 miles on it for under 10k. It doesn't have the bags, but you can get those fairly easily.

Also check out the multistrada.net site. You will get a good idea on what the going price is for the MTS.

Good luck.
JS

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,715 Posts
That is a clean looking bike, but the Termi's appear to be slip-ons as i still see the cat converter. I'd say the asking price is a tad high as well, but it is just an asking price which really means nothing to me (i'm sure the owner will accept much less). Regardless, I'd love to see you on a 2007 as a few improvements were introduced for that model year. And Flyhack is right; you can buy bags relatively easy in the secondary market.

Best success with your search....

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I DO NOT want another project bike.... I think I will keep an eye out for 07's and up...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an 05 with bags and was toying with selling it so I asked my dealer what it should be worth realistically right now. He said $7-$7.5. Hope that helps some. By the way, my bike has 15K miles.

Shep

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
However, these multis are very easy to fall in love with. Particularly with your st background. Other than that, used multis will drop further in price as soon as the new replacement is rolled out.

I'm not so sure about that happening, I could be wrong though. Yeah, there will be some stepping up to the new one, but I believe the "old" one has way more loyal owners who are happy with the bike the way it is. The thought of jumping into a 4 valve bike that theoretically is a long distance bike is a negative from the maintenance standpoint. The 2v powerplant on the 07 1100 is a torque machine and surprisingly fast with an excellent reliability history. If you do your own valve clearances you will enjoy doing the 2v vs the 4v. I suspect the new bike will cost more, but I could be wrong, they could pull a 1098 lower price strategy like they did in 07. If thats the case then that would have a negative impact on used prices. At this point I have no desire to dismount my Multi. I just finished a great motorcycle camping trip and the bike performed flawlessly. The only performance upgrade I'll do to the bike is install a FatDuc Manipulator. Doing that is like a night and day improvement in terms of smoothness to the bike.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Here you go

You should buy this one:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=68290

Local and I sold him the Remus. Bike is in great shape and well taken care of. Price is down to $7,000.00.

I almost bought it but was offered a great deal on a Hypermotard that I could not pass up on.

·
Registered
339 Posts
In case you are still looking I have 06 1000 S that I'm selling for a friend (actually I'm thinking about keeping it for myself because I'm slowly falling in love with it) It's a clean bike with full Termignoni system, different air filter etc. The bike is well sorted out and runs perfect. Needs nothing at this moment. Valve guides has been done by Pro Italia. He bought the bike there for 10500 6 months ago, selling it for $8K. No bags on it though....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts