Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone uses aftermarket injector cleaner in their injected bikes? If so with what results?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Just wondering if anyone uses aftermarket injector cleaner in their injected bikes? If so with what results?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I've run a few bottles of TOYOTA Injector Cleaner through my 2007 ST3 over the last 2-3 years.

It made a significant improvement the first time, so they must have been fouled a fair bit.

Have made it practice to run a bottle through every 10,000 klms since then.

I've also relocated my fuel filter to external from the fuel tank.
Fitted a Baldwin BF-840 in place of the OEM. Quarter the price and readily available.

I run the injector cleaner through it, then immediately after change the fuel filter.

Haven't had any fuel issues since adopting this practice.

The Toyota cleaner was recommended to me by a Ducati mechanic as a product he'd found works.
Other brands probably work just as well, but since I've found the Toyota cleaner works well, I stick with it.

The instructions on the bottle say to put the whole bottle in 75 litres of fuel.
I put the whole bottle in a 20 litre tankfull.
Bike seems to run OK at that ratio, and it only takes the one dose to do the job.
I make it a point to do this when I'm going on a sedate'ish type 4-500 klm ride where I will burn the full tank in a few hours,,,,, then refill with straight fuel for the ride home, so the injector cleaner is used and flushed from the system in the shortest possible time.

Cheers
Trevor

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The instructions on the bottle say to put the whole bottle in 75 litres of fuel.
I put the whole bottle in a 20 litre tankfull.
Bike seems to run OK at that ratio, and it only takes the one dose to do the job.
I make it a point to do this when I'm going on a sedate'ish type 4-500 klm ride where I will burn the full tank in a few hours,,,,, then refill with straight fuel for the ride home, so the injector cleaner is used and flushed from the system in the shortest possible time.

Cheers
Trevor
Hi Trevor

thanks for the info. I like you thinking on the the hi ratio flush through not something I would have tried without seeing someone else do it first :)
Do you get the Toyota engine flush direct from a dealer- its not something I've seen on the shelves here anywhere.

Rob

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been making & using a Homebrew *Seafoam* in my carbed 900SP & Fuel injected Ford Falcon for months & it really makes a difference i reckon.
Its just 50% Diesel
30% Naptha (lighter fluid or Shellite)
& 20% Isopropyl alcohol (bunnings or any hardware /office supplies)

I add about about 250ml to a full tank in my SS
If you read the MDMS on most of these fuel cleaners & products they're the main ingredients along with Tuolene (paint thinners) or Xylene (dry cleaning fluid)

I don't make the Homebrew Seafoam because I'm a cheapass ..just can't get it in Australia easily for some reason..
I do it about every 6th refill & on the car i let it suck into the pcv valve as well & it makes a hell of a smokescreen for a little while but my car runs much smoother...LOL

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Two words: Chevron Techron

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
In every test of injector/carb/petrol system cleaners I've ever seen, the vast majority of cleaners aren't worth a crock of shit, you may as well stick $5 notes in your tank for all the good they do.

BUT by the same token, there have been consistently three brands that have performed to some level and indeed some of these brands have a very loyal following.

Chevron Techron as Stick states above is seemingly the best of the bunch, though from what I can tell it's only really the concentrate that is really effective. (Not to say the fuel with Techron available at pump doesn't work, it's just a lot lower level of Techron in the fuel).
Unfortunately the Techron concentrate doesn't seem to be available in NZ as Caltex (Chevron/Texaco's trading company in NZ) don't bother importing it. It is available on Ebay in box lots quite often if you want to try that. Techron is a patented product, main effective ingredient polyether amine.

From the makers: Techron® is Chevron's latest representative of a family of compounds, called polyether amines, that are highly effective at fighting deposits in an engines intake system and at avoiding contribution to combustion chamber deposits. Sixteen years ago, after discovering that these compounds were effective deposit control additives, Chevron patented them and has been reformulating and improving them ever since. There are many Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) technical papers, peer reviewed by the industry, that tout the benefits of polyether amine deposit control additives versus other types of additives.

Google Techron and polyether amine for more info if you're so inclined. :)

The other two that seem to get favourable mention are (in no particular order) Seafoam Sea Foam | Products and Berrymans Fuel Additives / Treatments | Berryman Products

Just google either brand name and you'll get heaps of hits on various car, bike boat etc forums. Again neither brand is readily available in NZ, though can be purchased off EBay/the net.

I have had experience with Seafoam - purchased some off a seller on Trademe (NZ's version of EBay) and tried it in my CBX which was being a tad slow to get running on all cylinders when cold, probably some gunk in the slow speed circuit or something. Anyway, after running one tank through there was a noticeable improvement and with every tank full it's getting better, to the point where I don't think I'll have to bother taking the carbs off for a clean out as I thought I might have to.

I'm sure other people may have other favourites but the above are the ones that stood out to me when researching the subject prior to purchasing the Seafoam.

My 2 cents spent... :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard some very dodgy things about the regular 91 octane fuel we have here in NZ - basically it comes in as 89 and get "bumped up" by adding cement dust.

I run all my petrol vehicle on the 95-98 now.

But the 1000ds has started giving the odd hic up on static, small throttle openings i.e while sitting at 50-60km in traffic I get the impression the injectors may need a clean up. Specially as having done the valve guides and replaced and reset the TPS i know they valves etc are nice and clean.

I'm interested in giving Hammo's homebrew a crack unless I can source some seafoam or techron. Just have to track down the ingredients...

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I'm interested in giving Hammo's homebrew a crack unless I can source some seafoam or techron. Just have to track down the ingredients...
Here you go: Seafoam Fuel / Motor Treatment | Trade Me

I'm pretty sure you could make Hammo's homebrew version for less $$ for a larger quantity if you can track down the ingredients and have the time, as you can see above their nothing special and I know people on other forums that have made their own with good success.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Happy to split the cost with you on the Trademe deal if you only want one of the 2 cans he's selling.
Colin.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't know what shipping or customs would entail but SeaFoam is about $7.50 a 16 ounce can in the States. It might worth getting some blokes together for a group buy.

I use it at 1 ounce per gallon in all my motorcycles anytime I think the bike may sit for a week or more.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Happy to split the cost with you on the Trademe deal if you only want one of the 2 cans he's selling.
Colin.
Hi Colin

thanks for the offer. Darfield where the seller is based is just up the road from me so if I decide to buy some I'll just pick up.
If theres enough interest in NZ I'm happy to discuss a bulk discount with them.

I quite like the idea of making my own home brew though....

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I agree, it's worthwhile! I put injector cleaner through my carby Supersports and it definitely made a difference to my BMW M635.

Many (about 20) years ago I remember having a stand up row with a dealer in Nelson about an FZR1000 I wanted to buy. It ran like a bag of shit, and I asked how long it had been sitting for. Several months was the answer. I said no injector cleaner, no sale. He reluctantly emptied the tank, put new gas in and the cleaner I suggested.

While I was waiting he sent me out on a 900SS demonstrator (he was also the Ducati dealer) I rode up and down the road to Canvastown so many times I ran out of fuel. He came and picked me up with the FZR, now running perfectly. I did the same run a few times on the FZR and stopped for a cigarette (it was a long time ago) to weigh up my thoughts. Two German Tourists, who were cycling in the area, stopped to chat (he was into bikes), and said "Don't buy the Yamaha, buy that Ducati, it sounds Wunderschoen!"

I realised they were right and didn't buy the FZR. And the rest is history... So its kinda thanks to injector cleaner that I'm where I am today... :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

While I was waiting he sent me out on a 900SS demonstrator (he was also the Ducati dealer) I rode up and down the road to Canvastown so many times I ran out of fuel. He came and picked me up with the FZR, now running perfectly. I did the same run a few times on the FZR and stopped for a cigarette (it was a long time ago) to weigh up my thoughts. Two German
Mate you'd be lucky to get out of Nelson nowdays for a test ride- back and forth to Canvastown, now that would be fun...:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use techron good stuff... I also use sea foam had a XR 400 that was sitting in a shed for 2 years dumped it in with some good gas and boom like new..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use STP or similar cleaner now and then.
The reason?
I bought an old Honda that had been standing for years with fuel in and it ran like pig s..t.
After one bottle of STP cleaner to 17 litres it was better and after another treatment it ran well.
Here in Sweden the 95 octane have a 5% ethanol mix and that may help as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts