Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
is it safe to put injector cleaner in my sport1000?
Reason I ask, is the bike is just starting to feel a bit "fluffy" at low rpm... starts fine and runs fine.. plugs are new.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've done it after the bike sat awhile but considerering our sensitive gas tanks, don't know if I'd do it again.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see... I'm kinda lucky that here in Aus, we don't have compulsory ethanol... not yet anyway. So maybe I could get away with doing it once...

Seeing as usually a single bottle is designed for a car tank of approx 50litres, I assume I should use only 1/4 of the bottle per tank in the Ducati?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yeah, reduce the amount. Also, our tanks are built almost like saddlebags draped over the engine. I made sure the tank was full, then added the cleaner with the bike vertical and rocked the bike side-to-side to make sure it was thoroughly mixed then hit some twisties. Is this the OCD method?

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I regularly use Chevron's Techron (the concentrate) in all my cars and bikes. Sometimes the difference it makes is remarkable.

Techron is (was?) also sold by Yamaha as "Ring Free." it cleans out everything - carbs, jets, valve seats, rings, combustion chamber. Indeed, instructions advise changing the oil following a dose.

Great stuff.

-don

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I regularly use Chevron's Techron (the concentrate) in all my cars and bikes.
-don
Same here. Most auto supply stores carry it.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Yeah, reduce the amount. Also, our tanks are built almost like saddlebags draped over the engine. I made sure the tank was full, then added the cleaner with the bike vertical and rocked the bike side-to-side to make sure it was thoroughly mixed then hit some twisties. Is this the OCD method?
The proper method would be to add the additive when parked at the gas station and then fill the tank. This guarantees it will get thoroughly mixed.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The proper method would be to add the additive when parked at the gas station and then fill the tank. This guarantees it will get thoroughly mixed.
That's what the instructions say but being that our tanks carry their fuel in either of the two halves separated by the motor I chose to make sure it was equally mixed in both sides. Having the bike on a sidestand when filling doesn't seem like it would distribute the additive well to both tank sides.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Whenever possible I fill up at a Chevron station. They say Techron is already added to their gas. Not sure if it's the same amount as adding it separately.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The Yamaha branded product makes no reference to non-metal fuel tanks.
Is this because all Yamahas have metal fuel tanks?

ethanol fuel corrosion protection for silver solder, copper, metal and aluminum fuel system components

The last Yamaha I owned was an RD400, bought for a great price just as the RD350LC came out - so you can tell I'm not up to date with Yamahas!

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
That's what the instructions say but being that our tanks carry their fuel in either of the two halves separated by the motor I chose to make sure it was equally mixed in both sides. Having the bike on a sidestand when filling doesn't seem like it would distribute the additive well to both tank sides.
You're WAY over-thinking it :think: I know that pouring it in after adding gas and then rocking the bike to-and-fro will not be even close to effective.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Whenever possible I fill up at a Chevron station. They say Techron is already added to their gas. Not sure if it's the same amount as adding it separately.
Yeah, I was gonna suggest that. I believe the other major brands have an additive package in their high octane fuels, too.

I wonder that if using a low or mid grade octane normally, then filling the tank with the high octane soup every third or fourth (or whatever) tank would be the same as just using the additive in terms of cleaning the system?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was talking to the Owner of the local (Columbus, Ohio) Ducati dealership when I had my bike in for service. We discussed the fabled "spreading tank syndrome", which he feels it's due to the Ethanol used in our fuel here in the States. I don't know enough about it to agree or disagree. The other topic was gasoline additives. His shop uses Sea Foam, which is available at most auto parts stores. All I can share is that I use Sea Foam in all my vehicles, my Sport 1000 included, and don't have any problems from a fuel delivery stand point.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I use 'BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus with Techron'. Part# 82 140413341. It does improve performance with my bike. 1 oz/gal every 3k or so.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
on the audi forum i post on, they all swear by Seafoam. not quite in the same as a fuel additive to clean, seems a bit more intense as you try to put it in to the throttle body directly, gas tank and oil, then run it, and change the oil. but dunno if id do it in my duc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts