Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on a spirited ride through the dragon Saturday a $%&@ing pot hole jumped out and got me. I was leaned over in a left hand turn when I hit it. The guy behind me said he thought that my bike blew up with crap flying everywhere. The bike hit hard but remained on two wheels and stuck in neutral. The shift lever was curled up under my foot peg and both rims are damaged along with a few scrapes on the center stand. I did bend then break the shift lever but was able to get some welding done to get in 2 more days of riding (Thanks to Billy Brown of Tellico Plains, TN)
My insurance company wants me to take it to a dealer to get an estimate but my closet Ducati dealer can be a little cold & distant (his people are great). Do I take it to them and offer up some cash for the estimate because I plan on doing most the work myself or take it to the local multi line dealership where I have a friend in management? There is a part of me that hates to see anyone spend an hour writing up an estimate when I know that I will do everything myself.
Front Wheel.jpg Rear Wheel.jpg Shifter.jpg

·
Sophomore Member
2,784 Posts
Dang, that sucks. I bent a wheel on my Multi last year. I sent it to Ron John’s outside of Knoxville. He did a good job for reasonably cheap. It might be worth just eating the damage and getting the wheels straightened and replace the shifter instead of filing a claim. Depends on a lot of things including deductible. The dealer will replace the wheels for $$$$$.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Do as your insurance company asks and go to the Ducati dealer for a really nice inflated estimate. Act as if you plan to have them do the work so they pad the bill nicely. Dealers make a really nice profit on insurance repair. They will make it up many times over on the people who have them do the job.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Insurance companies prefer dealer estimates but if it really is that inconvenient then get the independent estimate. Tell them the insurance company requires it but you may do the work yourself anyway if they cut you a check. Doesn't work if your insurance company insists on paying a shop for your claim directly so you better find out.

The damage looks like very little labor involved, just parts so it should just take a few minutes to look up prices at the dealer, they may do it over the phone/email saving you a trip. Where else is your independent going to get an OEM wheel ?

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
If you find you’ll be forced to use the people who made the estimate, that would be one more reason to have the Ducati dealer do the estimate.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I hit a pot hole... At first glance it only bent the front rim...then the brake rotor had a shimmy... eventually the vibration broke the top triple clamp...then the lower fork leg...ended up replacing the entire front end...out of pocket...it was a painfully expensive exercize...I don't know if a dealer would include all those parts in their estimate...but keep an eye on them

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I bent both OEM rims on the south side of Mt. St. Helen's... luckily didn't break seal, introduce a vibe, or do any other damage. Those broken fork pics really hurt, I can only imagine what that must have felt like because even my (much milder) pothole experience was brain rattling.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dunno about down there, but up here if there aren't signs you can sometimes go after the county for repair costs due to unmarked bumps/potholes?

·
Sophomore Member
2,784 Posts
TN is a PITA about it. You have to show proof that the state has been made aware of the pothole and not fixed it in a timely manner demonstrating negligence. Yeah, good luck with that.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,347 Posts
Why don't you offer to pay for the time the dealer spends on the estimate, then their is no obligation to have them do the work. Their time will have been paid for and you can decide who will do the work.
As an owner of a small building business I get sick of people expecting "free" estimates. My time is worth every bit as much as others and believe our free estimate culture is bullshit!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I thought it better the state didn't know my name...I've been a menace more times than I wish to admit to...felt it cheaper to remain anonymous...lol...and the fork and triple clamp was partially my own negligence in not appreciating the impact of riding on a warped brake disc...I ended up upgrading to ohlins front and rear and selling off the broken bits so in the end it wasn't all that an experience

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think it's a state by state deal, but when I've had major collision damage estimates done before, both on cars and MCs, the shop charged an hours labor, which was reimbursed by the insurance company. May want to ask them about that, if they charge for it no reason to feel guilty at all.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
It’s just the cost of doing business. If they say they give free estimates , then take the freebie
They aren’t doing it out of the goodness of their heart, they do it because they make more than they lose doing it. “ Free Estimate “ is the oldest scam in the world, it’s to get you in their building.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just be glad you didn’t get hurt. The end result could have turned out much worse. Good job keeping the bike upright, I’m sure there are many riders on this thread may have had a different outcome after hitting it, including not hitting the hole as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Lol that's some Schrodinger's cat stuff right there... "a different outcome after hitting it, including not hitting the hole as well. "

·
Premium Member
12,238 Posts
Having expensive insurance coverage and using what you pay for...
A skilled rider may have been able to Bunny Hop over the offending hole....???
Roads are roads and take your chances if you are not familiar then oh shits will/may happen. Yeah it sucks fix it or f¥@k it.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
I hit a nice deep pot hole a couple of years ago on my SS. More of a sink hole, actually, with a vertical exit wall . It was in the shadows and I didn’t see it at all. I stood on the pegs and gassed it as I dropped in, not braking , and that probably saved my front wheel. It did not save my gonads from being slapped rather harshly by the seat when the rear wheel hit the far edge however. I’m pretty sure I turned a shade of green that Kermit would envy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you plan on doing the repairs yourself take it to the dealer. If they charge an estimate fee submit it for reimbursement from the insurance company. You may want to call and see if they would charge one and let the insurance adjuster know ahead of time.

The insurance company in every state I have ever done business in cannot prevent you from repairing it yourself. If you have a loan on the bike that may differ.

Full disclosure I have worked at a national insurance company for over a decade and had my fair share of claims:(.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts