Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - I'm relatively new here and haven't posted a lot - yet - but I'm a diehard duc fan ('62 200 elite, '65 250 Mark III, '92 907ir, and '97 748). I am considering starting sort of a DIY garage for motorcyclists, and given that duc owners tend to be more hands on than some other brand owners, I thought I'd get some input from you.

How many of you would utilize a do it yourself type garage with lifts, tire changer, and a comprehensive set of tools (assuming the cost is reasonable and the location is convenient)?

What types of work would you do?

How many would store a motorcycle under the same roof (assuming that it's safe and you have access to your bike pretty much 24/7)?

Thanks for all of your help in advance!

Sean

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Take into consideration the lawsuits with bikes the implode from something you didn't even work on, etc....lots of headaches are in the world you're looking at.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Take into consideration the lawsuits with bikes the implode from something you didn't even work on, etc....lots of headaches are in the world you're looking at.
Have them sign a Waiver, not too difficult to get around most liability issues for this type of business.

I'd use it, because I don't want to buy a lift. You could run it the same as the military runs the DIY shops for members on some posts. With a loaner tool crib and work stalls.

Insurance liability will not be insignificant as a cost. Bear in mind many bikers have bikes and DIY, because they don't have money to begin with. Look at sport bike rider demographics and most are tweenty-somethings. Those with money and nice bikes have their own garage/shop and/or can afford to pay someone else to do it because...well, they are too busy making more money. Many riders who might utilize what your proposing would shy away because they simply can't or won't afford it.

Service businesses are tough to make money in. Do your research carefully and always imagine the worst case scenario, because that's what your gonna get.

I think this has been tried before, but you never know. Timing is everything.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
This business model is already working in San Diego California at a place called Privateer's Garage. I'd shoot them a call, they'd be the best ones to answer your questions. I've not been down to see them yet (since I don't live close and have my own shop) but the pix make it out to be a nice place.

I think the biggest problem with that kinda business is the liability factor. Its not about if the bike falls on top of a customer in the shop, its if the customer fixes his/her's bike in your garage and then kills themselves because the rear wheel fell off. I mean, since you're not doing the work, you're basically trusting your customers to a better job then you can do.

Usually people who don't have a lift or the right tools, don't have the mechanical know-how, to do service. Even changing oil defies most people, I've not yet met someone who knows how to do it properly and that's EASY! So what ends up happening is, you spend all the time doing the work yourself and/or helping the customers achieve their tasks. That's a great thing to do, but what I do is host monthly Ducati service events in my garage and that's enough headache sometimes... I make sure to do all the work myself because I won't make those silly mistakes and so far, everyone's been happy!

Anyhow, there are positive things about it, there are negative things about it. My suggestion is to get a consensus from your local population and if you don't have people with in 100 miles of your local, willing to work with you, forget it...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
560 Posts
Most of the Ducatisti I know here in the San Luis Obispo area are definitely not hands on. Lately, it seems as though more and more people I meet with ducs can't even take their wheels off to have the tires changed.

This isn't a bad thing for them at all, its good for the local shops and it certainly means that they obviously make more money than I do. I wish I could afford to have mechanics work on my bikes! (I do send the 4-valvers off for service if it entails the valve adjustments)

More power to you Hope your vision comes true and it works for you. We definitely need more shade tree mechanics in our Ducati world.

Mark

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
I AM totally hands on, and would probably not use it.

Even though I don't have a lift, I have too much invested in my own tools and equipment. It wouldn't make sense for me to use someone else's stuff.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I can see its working along the lines of some Laundromats with two businesses operating under one roof;
One provides space and equipment, and a separate one provides service (Customer service, doing laundry, folding, ext.)

There are some mechanics would be willing to help for a fee as an alternative to 100/hr dealership garages.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wouldn't want to leave my bike at a place where several people have the key. However I might utilize the facility if I needed a specific piece of equiptment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts