Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip to WV and am looking for a good central location to rent a house. Is the Snowshoe area a good start?
Also interested in ride routes if anyone is offering!!!(PM I you don't want to give them up publicly!)
  • Thanks in advance, Flynnmon

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Anyone not willing to share great routes has a small pp (sorry just watching Davie504). WV is one of the better East Coast riding locations, I'll dig out some of the routes we've found. Most of the really fun twisty ones are in the SE of the state around White Sulfur Springs, but if you like open road cruising with little to no traffic there are many options. Pretty much the entire state has great visuals.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
This area has a number of fun climbs (switchbacks), short and of varying pavement quality (and some are dirt) but on a Multi they're good for an afternoon of hooning around, even a day if you like making multiple passes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I second DaveK's recommendation. I've not done much riding in WV, but have been to snowshoe several times. The roads just getting there are a hoot. Point your bike any direction out of snowshoe and your bound to have fun in that area. I'm a lot more familiar with riding in Western VA. Here's a great run from Snowshoe into VA. There's a little general store / restaurant in Paint Bank that's always loaded up with fellow riders!

paint bank map.png

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Green Bank is very cool if you've looking for nerd cred...

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I'm almost positive this is looking West toward the valley south of Sulphur Springs (the other option is that it's looking East toward Virginia but I don't think so...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Marlinton is the best part of WV to ride. North to Snowshoe, Northeast to Cass and Monterey, South to Warm Springs, etc, Many, many good not heavily traveled roads. Do not expect to find a job. Real Estate is cheap. If you are intereseted in NC, the Little Switzerland area has the best roass by far. ( Asheville / Marion)

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies DaveK and VADuc, definitely prefer the twistier routes, have been checking out a few websites(bestbikingroads.com, motorcycleroads.com...) for info. Seems like good riding Southeast/central, just trying to dial it in so we get the max for the location we choose for lodging.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks khelton, we're just looking to ride not to move there. Looking at renting a house via VRBO for a week to keep costs down.
We've been to ECM at Fontana a few times and sections of BRP(Peaks of Otter to Galax) and back of the dragon (Marion to Tazeville, VA).
I've heard the riding is great there, so just trying to optimize lodging/good riding location.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If the distance isn't too much greater, WV riding is good but the Little Switzerland area has much more to offer. The riding is more technical and there is much, much more variety and many more miles and places to ride.

Years ago we would ride the Dragon area a few times a year. Since discovering Little Switzerland and the surrounding towns we have never gone back to the Dragon / Cherohala. Start by looking at 226 and 226A from Marion to Little Switzerland, Little Switzerland to many roads in and around Burnsville, turn after turn down off the mountain , then Bakersville ( 197 north, 197 south !!!! ) , Hot Springs, Roan Mountain, Banner Elk, Hwy 80 South, 80 North, 197 to 395 to Erwin TN out of Bakersville will entertain you for a few hours, Bakersville to Hot Springs, 209 out of Hot Springs , 63 down off 209 is as technical as you will be able to stand, then turn arond and run it back uphill for a totally different ride. There is much more than I am able to list. The whole area is motorcycle friendly and you will be welcomed.

I recommend staying at Big Lynn Lodge. A family owned one level motel over 100 years old, small, economical, with a great view off the top of the mountain. Breakfast and lunch is covered in the price of lodging. Great people.

If you want to go upscale, got to Switzerland Inn, a little pricier, also over a hundred years old. Also motorcycle friendly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again khelton, really appreciate the info, we'll be checking out the maps this weekend!

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Khelton, I see Little Switzerland is close to Asheville and Charlotte, how's the traffic in the area?

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is very little. Just stay off the interstate. It is hard to have a boring moment riding in that area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts