Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am a new member just joing about 2 minutes ago, lol.

A little bit about me, I used to have a 2000 Kawasaki Ninja zx-6r, but I sold it because I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I am looking to get something a little less powerful yet still has good looks.

I am looking to get a 2009 Ducati Monster 696 in June, any advice/info on the motorcycle?

Good mods to it?

What I should know, and not know about it?

Anything would help me out.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've got a 696 that I bought in November, but between the weather and some health issues I've only ridden it about 700 miles.
I really like it. I had a ninja 650r before this and I can go faster easier on the 696 because of the better suspension.
I think the bike is geared to high, so the first mod I'll do is drop a tooth on the front sprocket.
The bike has good power but not overwhelming like a liter bike.
Overall I'm very satisfied with mine.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
A 696 sounds like a good option of you. A 1 tooth lower front sprocket is a common mod and i would also put some slip-on exhausts on for style and sound rather than performance per se. Termi is my preference but they can be pricey.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you can afford it, I would get the base Monster 1100. It's only a bit more expensive than the 696 but the motor is a lot better. I used to ride an R6 and I now have a Hypermotard S (which has the same 1100cc motor) and I think you would be disappointed with the 696 motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can afford it, I would get the base Monster 1100. It's only a bit more expensive than the 696 but the motor is a lot better. I used to ride an R6 and I now have a Hypermotard S (which has the same 1100cc motor) and I think you would be disappointed with the 696 motor.
For what reasons is the 1100 better than the 696?

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you can afford it, I would get the base Monster 1100. It's only a bit more expensive than the 696
Must be some good deals in Canada. The base 1100 is over £2000 sterling more than the 696+ here in the UK. £8,400 GBP vs £6,195 GBP. How do the prices compare in Canada?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with the "if you can afford it..." but here in Oz the 1100 is over $5000 more than the 696. I used to have an '05 749s before I bought the 696 and while the motor is a bit lame in comparison there is something immensely satisfying about caning the arse off a mid size bike. The 696 loves to be revved, with a narrow powerband between 6000 and 9000rpm. Keep it there and it's pretty hard not to finish a ride without a smile a mile wide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
M696 with front sprocket, CF termis, CRG bar end mirrors, remove the pussy front bikini fering, and competition werkes rear fender chop, plus some mandatory CF goodies and you;ve got a mighty nice machinas...
Thats mine anyway.
I love it...
Molar

oops must be red, their so much faster ............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts