Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a TomTom 130s for $70 from newegg.com and a Ram mount from gpscity.com for $40 for my ST3. I went for a ride on it today to try it out. It's not bad mounted on the clip on. I don't have to tilt my head very much to see it. I can only hear the text to speech if I'm going slow on light throttle. I think the Desmo Times steering stem nut/Ram mount would put the GPS in a little better line of sight. My riding season is about over here. So I won't get to try it out very much this year. I have a TomTom 730 I use in my truck that has line out audio. I used it a couple times in my pocket on the bike, but I think you need to see where you are going. Just text to speech is not enough.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Question

I bought a similar unit (125SE). How did you wire it in to the electrical system? The Tom Tom 125 has only the standard cig lighter plug. I know there is a 12v wiring/outlet up under the fairing...do you know if I can wire it into that somehow?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the desmo times steering head ram mount and use a garmin 550 with a touratech holder. I also put another powerlet plug next to the steering head and powerlet had a powercord for the 550 that used the BMW powerlet socket. Works great and I also use a similar set up on my Superlight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just curious, what kept you from mounting your other Tom Tom on the bike?

Also, does stopping and asking someone "Where the hell am I?" count as a System? Then you could have Global Positioning for free :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Every where I go I'm there!!!....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice set-up. I put my old Nuvi 350 in the top of my tank bagmap pouch with an ear bud. Seems to work OK ,and is also cheap. How are those Convertibars working for you? Changed lines? I'm thinking of changing as well to help out this old back of mine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious, what kept you from mounting your other Tom Tom on the bike?

Also, does stopping and asking someone "Where the hell am I?" count as a System? Then you could have Global Positioning for free :D
I thought the TomTom 730 was too heavy and I wouldn't feel bad if the smaller cheap TomTom got damaged. I could always change my mind latter. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I did the same thing with a garmin nuvi 265 wt. The ram mount work great. Have to wire to cigarette plug to drop the voltage down with the adaptor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts