Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

To buy or not to buy (again)

• Yes I would buy it again (the bike is just too much fun to pass up regardless of some issues)

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • No I would not buy it again(all things consider there is a better bang for my buck out there)

Votes: 3 9.4%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
With the BMW S100RR at $13,800 I could buy that and a Monster or SportClassic to play with.
I think it would be safe to say the BMW probably fuels OK out of the box don't you think!.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Tough question for me, so I didn't vote.

I love my Streetfighter despite it's issues and don't think there's another bike out there that can come close to it's looks and performance.

That said, the deal breaker for me is the snail's pace at which the dealer and DNA work to resolve warranty issues.

As some of you may have read I've have a problem with my dash resetting itself while underway, accompanied by a momentary loss of power...not a good thing. I took the bike to the dealer on Monday the 10th and thus far they've managed to spend a grand total of 8 hours on it going through the wiring harness. That didn't fix the problem so they've ordered a new dash module...I requested that they swap one out from a showroom model, but DNA wouldn't authorize it.

If I had known at the time how agonizingly slow the process is to get approval to do warranty work, I probably wouldn't have bought a Ducati...and may think twice about keeping mine if I ever get back.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Count me in for a Yes too!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'm questioning the build quality and components of this new beemer, it's just too cheap, cutting corners somewhere, bike's are built in China is the rumor, which may or may not be ok.

Chris

With the BMW S100RR at $13,800 I could buy that and a Monster or SportClassic to play with.
I think it would be safe to say the BMW probably fuels OK out of the box don't you think!.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
It's also August and things in Italy slow down considerably as that's a vacation month there. The downside to just in time shipping and not having a US parts warehouse for ducati.

Chris

I love my Streetfighter despite it's issues and don't think there's another bike out there that can come close to it's looks and performance.

That said, the deal breaker for me is the snail's pace at which the dealer and DNA work to resolve warranty issues.

As some of you may have read I've have a problem with my dash resetting itself while underway, accompanied by a momentary loss of power...not a good thing. I took the bike to the dealer on Monday the 10th and thus far they've managed to spend a grand total of 8 hours on it going through the wiring harness. That didn't fix the problem so they've ordered a new dash module...I requested that they swap one out from a showroom model, but DNA wouldn't authorize it.

If I had known at the time how agonizingly slow the process is to get approval to do warranty work, I probably wouldn't have bought a Ducati...and may think twice about keeping mine if I ever get back.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A definite YES for me 2, I simply love this bike, the overall performance and handling of it compensates for the small fueling issue.

My bike also had an issue with the check engine light coming on due to the ECU not communicating with the servo that controls the exhaust valve and fortunately for me the tech was able to troubleshoot the issue with DNA within 1.5 hours and get the part ordered for me the same day. Oahu, so maybe the issue you are having comes down to your dealer and not DNA.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm questioning the build quality and components of this new beemer, it's just too cheap, cutting corners somewhere, bike's are built in China is the rumor, which may or may not be ok.

Chris
They are built in Korea by Kymco. :rolleyes:
I spoke to the bmw rep showing the sample S1000RR recently at my local shop...he said the bike is going to be built in Germany. Very nice bike and I placed an order for the green w/race abs-dtc and quickshifter. Don't know if I'll end up buying but one is ordered for me!

Slipper clutch is standard issue :cool:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
A definite YES for me 2, I simply love this bike, the overall performance and handling of it compensates for the small fueling issue.

My bike also had an issue with the check engine light coming on due to the ECU not communicating with the servo that controls the exhaust valve and fortunately for me the tech was able to troubleshoot the issue with DNA within 1.5 hours and get the part ordered for me the same day. Oahu, so maybe the issue you are having comes down to your dealer and not DNA.
Maybe so, but the feeling I'm getting is that DNA has been slow in responding to the request to authorize work on the bike, they also denied a request to use a dash module from a bike on the showroom floor...the part was ordered a week after I took the bike in...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
It's also August and things in Italy slow down considerably as that's a vacation month there. The downside to just in time shipping and not having a US parts warehouse for ducati.

Chris
The part was ordered this past Monday, so it's only been a 3 day wait for parts thus far...the issue is the slow response for DNA to authorize work on the bike...it's like they're the ones on vacation...can you tell that I'm frustrated?

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
I voted yes, but I would like to clarify my choice in that as it stands now, it is too early to tell what will make the bottom end fixed. Once that is said and done, I will have a dollar amount that it cost. With that I would have an idea at that point whether I should have bought a base model and did the same fix, then spend the money saved on additional bits; or the S model was worth the extra coin. So yes on the bike, but undecided on whether it would be an S or base model.

Keep in mind this is my first bike in this class, so I'm in uncharted waters unlike others crossing over or adding to 1098's, 999's etc. You guys have a good feel already for what is good or bad and can probably achieve goal based on what you have already in experience.

Unquestionably the motor and the brakes are quite the experience. The ergos are very good for long rides. (My S2R tends to make you feel like you are sitting on the family jewels...actually you are, which plays well in winter riding). Once again patience seems to be the key in waiting for things to pan out from the aftermarket (arrow), so that I can move forward and add the ProTune and end the need to fool with settings and just ride it with total confidence.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Chris

I used to live in South Carolina very close to the BMW plant where they make the Z4 roadster and the X3/X5 SUVs, and I knew a couple people who worked there. The entire management of the plant was imported from Germany, and I got the impression that every facet of how the plant operated, down to the tools and techniques that the line workers used, was legislated and trained according to BMW's standards. It was a popular place to look for a job because it paid well, but I remember hearing some workers being disgruntled with the German management from time to time.

Basically, it seemed like the plant is more of an extension of their German operations, rather than a foreign franchise. It's always a possibility, but I would be surprised if there was any difference in quality from the Korean plant.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I love my Streetfighter despite it's issues and don't think there's another bike out there that can come close to it's looks and performance...........
2009 MV Agusta Brutale 1078RR - Italy's Nastiest Naked Bike:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_0811_2009_mv_agusta_brutale_1078rr/index.html

Back to the StreetFighter:
Fot me it became a question imperfection and how much of it I'm willing to tolerate; knowing that a $20K bike is not put together the way it was suppose to bugs me regardless of how little my ride is affected.
Also I like what Bill had to say in another thread and I think it belongs here:

I guess it keeps coming down to the sum of the components is what is going to determine how well the bike will sort out. For the money, one more time... $20,000, you would think that top shelf components would be deployed on top of the line bikes. If Competition Systems has full time wide band sensing with an ecu that allows for expansion to full track duty, why do we fight with "b stock" ecu systems that are junk from go or maybe way off, to be nicely put.

Regardless of Euro3 tuning, is the business model set up for selling "race only" parts in order to get a street bike "street-able"? I give high marks to the 3rd Parties that put a lot of time into offering us solutions to get it right. I guess the question Ducati should be asking themselves is, "Does this grow the brand?". I don't think so. I believe when you talk shop with inquiring minds about the Duc and what you sometimes have to do to smooth out the problems inherent in the stock bike; you discourage prospective owners. The brand doesn't grow. The myth is not dispelled. Many will not want to go through the process. They expect things to be right for the money they lay out. Don't get me wrong, I'm a willing participant in the process. I know the end result will be worth it. But maintaining a closed mind to owners wanting solutions, not canned responses of "we care what you think, but cannot point you in the right direction". Yes, the remap was helpful. A sort of admittance of guilt or responsibility. I for one ride every day. I don't put the bike on a pedestal and I will not put the manufacturer on one either.

If there is an inherent flaw with the big twin and Euro3. Then Ducati should make it possible for "after the sale" fixes that do not jeopardize the legality of maintaining good standing with the Earth First crowd. If they cannot allow jailbreaking the ecu, then maybe each bike should come with 2 ecu's. The stock one that is shipped with the bike and the DP ECU that is put in the bike before it rolls out for its' first ride. The original ECU can serve as a paper weight and only because it cannot be flushed down the sh*tter.

PS I still love the bike. It's a funny relationship that's not about to end over a little drinking (fueling) problem. :)

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
I would be surprised if there was any difference in quality from the Korean plant.
The difference is that was a BMW plant, The new 1000R is being built by Kymco - not BMW. It is not a BMW plant run by BMW management.

Back to the SF - I agree with what Biglebowski and bill are getting at, I love the bike but it seems like all the new ducs are having issues of one type or another.
I'm just wondering if Ducati isn't a little over their head right now?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The difference is that was a BMW plant, The new 1000R is being built by Kymco - not BMW. It is not a BMW plant run by BMW management
Well that is not so confidence inspiring....

Back to the SF - I agree with what Biglebowski and bill are getting at, I love the bike but it seems like all the new ducs are having issues of one type or another.
I'm just wondering if Ducati isn't a little over their head right now?
Very well put, but I would add that I think the marketing people have it over the engineering people as well. And don't forget those damned accountants; the curse of many a good business.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts