Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I searched through the topics for this, but couldn't find anything....

I am having an issue getting one of my front indicators working. When putting a multimeter across the cables I get a solid 12V (with the indicator switch on), whereas across the indicators that are working it does the normal thing of constantly flipping between 0 and 12V.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Bad ground ? Bad blinker relay ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is my understanding there isn't a flasher relay and it is instead controlled from the instrument cluster electrics?

The bike does have an major earth fault somewhere as batteries run flat over night if left connected, so the indicator could just be a consequence of that earth fault.

So, does anyone have any pics or diagrams showing where all the earth points on the bike are?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
It is my understanding there isn't a flasher relay and it is instead controlled from the instrument cluster electrics?

The bike does have an major earth fault somewhere as batteries run flat over night if left connected, so the indicator could just be a consequence of that earth fault.

So, does anyone have any pics or diagrams showing where all the earth points on the bike are?

Thanks
If your battery is going flat over night then you have a different issue. While there is barely enough battery, it will last overnight, in fact it should last a weekend. The immobilizer (a.k.a. anti-theft) system is a constant drain on the bike so it will eventually drop the battery level low enough to cause starting issues if left over the weekend. A week long or more and it won't start. This is why a battery maintainer is mandatory. Get in the habit of plugging in when the day is through.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If your battery is going flat over night then you have a different issue. While there is barely enough battery, it will last overnight, in fact it should last a weekend. The immobilizer (a.k.a. anti-theft) system is a constant drain on the bike so it will eventually drop the battery level low enough to cause starting issues if left over the weekend. A week long or more and it won't start. This is why a battery maintainer is mandatory. Get in the habit of plugging in when the day is through.
This seems a bit funny. I don't start my bike sometimes for several weeks with no problems. I even went on holidays for 6 weeks and it still started ok. I have never used a battery maintainer and have never had any problems unless I have left the key on.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
RD, wow, really? I've never heard of that for the SC line. Are you sure someone else isn't riding her whilst you're gone? :grin2:
What kind of battery do you have?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The system expects a load on the wiring.
If you add for example some LED-blinkers to replace the stock bulbs, the LED's will illuminate almost constantly with a tiny flash (from my own experience).
Solution is to add a resistor to the circuit to bring the load up to the expected wattage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
RD, wow, really? I've never heard of that for the SC line. Are you sure someone else isn't riding her whilst you're gone? :grin2:
What kind of battery do you have?
I am running a Motocell Lithium Ion battery which is now nearly 4 years old. When it was new we went away for about 6 weeks holiday. When we got home it started up no worries.
Even now, we went for a ride today and it hadn't been started since last Sunday. I don't have a security system or anything, only the Imobiliser which only flashes for a day and then stops.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I am running a Motocell Lithium Ion battery which is now nearly 4 years old...
Ah, that explains it. You didn't specify the battery type you were using so the stock lead-acid was assumed since that's what the bikes came with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ah, that explains it. You didn't specify the battery type you were using so the stock lead-acid was assumed since that's what the bikes came with.
Yeah, but the battery in it before that was a lead battery. The crank speed was a fair bit slower with the old battery, and is starting to slow up a bit with the lithium one, so maybe time for a new one. But still didn't use a battery tender.

cya

1 - 12 of 12 Posts