Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess I should have known better. Here goes, I'll try to explain this as best I can in the hope someone can offer proper instructions. First, I own a 2006 Sport Classic SE. I've always hated the low-end front suspension and finally decided to try and upgrade. So, after reading everything on Ducati.ms, I ordered a Andreani Cartridge kit. And of course, I am stuck getting it back together. I guess the first thing to determine is do I have the right kit? For my bike I ordered the Misano Evo Ducati GT1000. So is that the one that should fit my Sport Classic? I was under the impression the GT and SC had the same front forks?

My problem is I cannot get the caps threaded back on the damper rods. The springs extend well above (about two inches) the collapsed fork tube and I can't compress them and hold the damper rod up at the same time to thread the cap on. Something must be wrong. Either I've got the wrong kit for my bike or I'm missing something? The instructions and all the examples shown here on Ducati.ms don't discuss this issue. I'll try to attach a photo or two showing the problem. Hope someone can point me in the right direction. IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1640.JPG

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you have the forks off the bike, I can only recommend that you take them to a suspension shop, or ship them to one. There is no way a novice bolt up guy or general bike shop will come close to getting the suspension dialed in as well as a true suspension guy. No offense to you, but you should just send them out. It's really not that expensive. Since you have the forks off the bike it shouldn't cost a whole lot to do them. Plus, you need a compression tool.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I got one cap back on after all. Do have a manual spring compression tool. Easier with two people, one to push the spring down and one to thread on the cap. Still, Andreani instruction don't show one in use during assembly. Maybe I just need to hit the gym.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You need a RaceTech or Motion Pro fork compression tool. Or send them out. What state are you in?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, but I finally did get the caps on. Had to compress the springs just a little for the threads to capture. Now off to my suspension guy to help set the sag and clickers.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have fun

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Did you have the preload wound out? The hard part isn't usually getting the cap on, its compressing the spring to get the cap seated to the fork cap adjuster. For future jobs this $30 puppy helps: Traxxion Dynamics Fork Spring Compressor Kit - Traxxion Dynamics

I got the whole kit which includes a syringe for setting the air gap and a fork bleed tool: Fork Service Tool Kit, Inverted Forks - Traxxion Dynamics

I did this myself two winters ago, its pretty easy. FWIW, setting sag is pretty easy too on the forks. I had to rig something up to measure sag in the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts