Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my GT off at Boulder Motorsports this morning. No problems, just time for the 7500 mile service and new tires. I decided to let the experts do the work rather than struggle through the valve adjustment myself. The bike is also getting a couple of dyno runs, with my cut-down baffles and wide open. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in power.

Not cheap, but I know they'll do the job right and then the bike should be good to go for some time.

Debby

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Hyperducky. I just picked my Sport 1000 up from BMS the previous day (Friday). I had the bike in for the 600-mile service, fitting the Termis, ECU etc, and installing a Renthal 14-T drive sprocket. They also did a quick "tune" of the front & rear suspension (I had fitted the adjustable Showa forks last month).

As you say, not cheap, but they have an excellent reputation and are a knowledgeable, friendly bunch of guys. When I was young, I had a lot more time than money (not much of the latter). Now, it is time that is in the shortest supply, and I want to enjoy the bike at its best now! I must say that, with the Termi/ECU/air box kit, the 14-T sprocket and the adjustable Showas, the bike now runs just like I had hoped it could. I was a little disappointed before.

Bolder

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey BB,

Did they do a dyno run on your bike? They've run several other GTs on the dyno so it will be interesting to compare mine with the others. If there's a significant power difference with the baffles out (I'm not sure there will be, they said they sometimes make more power with the baffles IN) I might try running it uncorked. The neighbors aren't friendly anyway, I guess i don't really need to worry about pissing them off. :rolleyes:

Baffles out on yours I assume? With uncut baffles mine sounded like an aquarium pump. I actually like it pretty well the way it is now though.

They're using a correction factor of 1.22 on the dynojet dyno for the "corrected" graphs. Huge power loss at our elevation! No wonder my Hyper didn't want to wheelie. The guys on the Hyper forum (who all live at sea level) all go on about effortlessly riding endless wheelies like it was a dirt bike. I was wondering what was wrong with mine. Nothing as it turns out, just thin air!

Debby

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hyperducky, my Sport 1000 was dyno'd with baffles out. At first glance, the hp and torque numbers were disappointing, with max at 79.45 hp @7800 rpm and 62.24 ft-lbs @ 5050 rpm. However, the bike had only 672 miles on it, and a comparison dyno set of standard vs baffles-out termis for a GT that I had seen (linked by a member on this site) had shown the biggest gains were in the mid-range. Certainly, my bike now shows an almost linear hp curve from 3100 to 6400 rpm, corresponding to a fairly flat torque maximum from 4300 to 6400 rpm. Brian McMahon said the dyno was corrected for atmospheric pressure (24.86 in-Hg at test time) but not for temperature. It was fairly hot at 91.05F when my bike was tested. On the road testing reveals a much smoother motor now, without the occasional roughness that the closed-loop OE ECU/pipes apparently caused.

I am now stretching the Duck's legs up and down Left Hand Canyon, so hopefully the motor will continue to bed in well. The bike is certainly running a lot better with the Termis/DP ECU and 14-T sprocket, with predictable handling to match from the adjustable Showas: no more hobby-horsing when on the brakes or going down the gears upon entering corners, and no more jack-hammer jolts from rough pavement. I feel that the output sound level from the unbaffled Termis is certainly within socially-acceptable limits, though I must confess to a decreasing urge to conformism with my advancing age. The sound quality is now pure music, encouraging totally unnecessary blipping downshifts in the canyons. This bike is now delivering the riding pleasure that I had expected after riding the test bike with unbaffled Termis on the Denver Ducati demo Day last May. I am happy.

Bolder

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hyperducky, what did the 2 dyno runs on your GT show?

Bolder

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haven't heard yet. they should be running it in the next day or two. supposed to be ready by end of the week.

perhaps I'll join the club and run it without baffles for a while... :eek:

Debby

·
Registered
150 Posts
haven't heard yet. they should be running it in the next day or two. supposed to be ready by end of the week.

perhaps I'll join the club and run it without baffles for a while... :eek:

Debby
Sorry, Debby, you can't do that. Just as we must (soon) have carbon emissions offsets, your GT is my Ducati's decibel emissions offset. :D

Bolder

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
louder not faster

Sorry, Debby, you can't do that. Just as we must (soon) have carbon emissions offsets, your GT is my Ducati's decibel emissions offset. :D

Bolder
Ok, I will cover for your lack of compliance! :p

Interesting results on the dyno runs. I haven't seen the numbers yet, but Brian said that with the baffles out, it made slightly more peak HP but was significantly down on midrange as compared to running with my cut-down baffles. For the street (and probably for the track too), midrange is where it's at. So the baffles stay in.

Not what I expected, but I think it's just as well. I don't really like a super loud bike anyway, I find the noise fatiguing on long rides. Plus I don't have to get paranoid when I encounter the LEOs. Stealth GT, no problem! :cool:

So I guess the neighbors will have to find some other excuse to hate me! ;)

Debby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts