Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Smut peddler
874 Posts
I go to Doffo winery pretty regularly. It's a really neat spot, with all kinds of bikes on display. The family are legit motorcycle enthusiasts, and good people to boot.

Kinda sad to see this gem just go to auction though. Where it will no doubt go to some Rich knob that just wants it as a static display. Ride em, don't hide em.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Kinda sad to see this gem just go to auction though. Where it will no doubt go to some Rich knob that just wants it as a static display. Ride em, don't hide em.
Isn't it already owned 'by some rich knob that has it in a static display'?

·
Bon Vivant
10,490 Posts
In a way yes and in a way no. I met the owner, who is a wealthy transplant from Argentina (I think) at an AHRMA race in Utah several years ago. He was racing a vintage Duc. So although he does have a lot of bikes on display at his winery (as apposed to hidden away in a private collection that nobody sees) he also rides and races some of his bikes.

He was interested in my 250 racer at the time that I had there for a Motorcycle Classics Magazine show but when he heard my asking price he scoffed. ( I sold it at my price 2 weeks later and my 750 won best in show that weekend).

Buying a Paul Smart as an investment and keeping it in the crate is not a bad idea and I would keep it there if I bought it today. Frankly its not that great to ride and it's growing cache as a collector is in my view a better purpose for that bike. I say one should play to a bike's strengths, there are a lot of great bikes to ride, this one is better to collect.

These guys are real Ducati enthusiasts not just some rich snob collectors:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Frankly its not that great to ride and it's growing cache as a collector is in my view a better purpose for that bike. I say one should play to a bike's strengths, there are a lot of great bikes to ride, In my view this one is better to collect.
It's hard to argue with that logic.
So, I won't try. I would like to see the collection. :)

·
Smut peddler
874 Posts
I guess you got me there. I respect that everything I've seen of these guys has tread worn off the tires. I have a sore spot for "collectors". I know its to each their own, but I have never gotten along with the collector types, oil and water, so to speak. Mechanical things aren't art to me if they aren't used. They're just props. I've always liked the fact that Enzo Ferrari showed disdain for his customers that didn't race his cars. It's also something I admired aboot my pops. He drove a frame off/ matching #s 56 belair convertible across the country, won best in show. A purist came up to him, and told him he was ruining the car, and that they had flat black firewalls/ inner fenders if they were to be period correct. My dad responded that he liked engine bays shiny, and was happy to sell it to the guy so the car could be saved. Still makes me chuckle.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have a sore spot for "collectors". ...
Different strokes for different folks I guess.
You either have the collector gene or you don't. I don't, but I know many who do (my dad was one). Blessing and a curse. They are passionate some even obsessed, but the joy is in the pursuit, and acquisition, but once you obtain the precious it the itch still isn't scratched and the quest continues. Personally I consider it a curse. Imagine owning something really cool but never getting joy out of using it, or consuming it or even taking it out of the friggin box. Sounds awful, but as you say different things flip peoples switch in life.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Buying a Paul Smart as an investment and keeping it in the crate is not a bad idea and I would keep it there if I bought it today. Frankly its not that great to ride and it's growing cache as a collector is in my view a better purpose for that bike. I say one should play to a bike's strengths, there are a lot of great bikes to ride, this one is better to collect.
Owning both a Paul Smart and a 1000s, which as most people know are the same bike minus the pegs (seating position). I completely disagree with you on that quote flynbulldog. :)

I agree with you that if I bought this particular bike, I would also leave it in the crate.

·
Bon Vivant
10,490 Posts
Owning both a Paul Smart and a 1000s, which as most people know are the same bike minus the pegs (seating position). I completely disagree with you on that quote flynbulldog. :)

I agree with you that if I bought this particular bike, I would also leave it in the crate.
;) I wondered how long it would be before a sport classic owner chimed in about that. :) I've always loved the looks of the SC bikes and I've wanted to own one so bad, but every time I've taken a test ride thinking I'm gonna buy one I come back and realize its not for me. I had a MH900e for about 7 years and I found it to be torture to ride . I'm just not a guy who is going to ride a bike that is uncomfortable when other options can give me comfort, performance, and fantastic looks.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm glad there are folks who really like riding SC's, I wish I was one of them.

I bought my Thruxton R instead of a Paul Smart , for me its everything the PS is and it's super easy and comfy to ride

However, I'd still like to own a PS - but not that one - cuase id want to ride it, I suppose I could endure some discomfort for a little while !

·
Registered
811 Posts
;) I wondered how long it would be before a sport classic owner chimed in about that. :) I've always loved the looks of the SC bikes and I've wanted to own one so bad, but every time I've taken a test ride thinking I'm gonna buy one I come back and realize its not for me. I had a MH900e for about 7 years and I found it to be torture to ride . I'm just not a guy who is going to ride a bike that is uncomfortable when other options can give me comfort, performance, and fantastic looks.
Yea, I am not going to lie, it isn't the most comfortable bike to ride if you leave the clip-ons in the original position, which both of mine are but, as long as you stay out of stop n go traffic, I have had no problems putting the miles on them.

I bought my Thruxton R instead of a Paul Smart , for me its everything the PS is and it's super easy and comfy to ride
I still have my eye on a Thruxton R. I have an 05 Thruxton that I still enjoy riding but as you probably know, it is lacking in all of the performance areas. One of these days I will grab a nice used one. I have yet to ride one and often wonder how they compare to the sport classics being so similar in performance.

Maybe one of these days we can meet up in NC and switch between the PS and your Thruxton R. I am in Highlands, NC all of the time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wonder what the guy on the left thinks about it. Pretty sure he'd get a laugh out of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts