Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am re commissioning a 1992 900SS that overall is in amazing shape. I had the carbs apart this weekend and put 75 miles on it hoping I've cured a previous plug fouling issue. The bike has the stock seat which sucks. I see Sargent has discontinued their seat for this bike. Any others out there or am I looking at needing to get the stock seat re done?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
The Corbin I have lowers the seat height slightly, just enough to tip my thighs up in relation to my hips and become uncomfortable after a longer ride. i also have a tall Corbin that I had recovered, supposedly retaining the Corbin foam, but it came back taller than it went out. After both those I actually went back to the stock seat, height between the other two. Fits best for my 30" inseam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might be interested in the seat. Will it fit a 1992? From their website, it says the current gunfighter & lady is 94 and up only

Two styles of comfort are available for the classic 900 Ducatis! "Gunfighter & Lady" offers comfort for two while "Gunfighter" provides a great solo ride with racebike looks (Gunfighter & Lady is available for '94 and up models only). Both fit 900ss, 750ss, 700ss, 600ss and 400ss (but not with seat cowl).

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I have a 91 900SS and have two Gunfighter seats, wonder why they don't make the GL combo for pre-94? It doesn't look that hard to dish out the seat? It is a bit thinner back there than my friends 1995 Gunfighter, maybe thats why?

Anyway, for the short trips at least, my passengers did not complain.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sargent has reconditioned seats for my bmw's improving the comfort with their replacement foam (sometimes cover) and retaining the stock look.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I might be interested in the seat. Will it fit a 1992? From their website, it says the current gunfighter & lady is 94 and up only
Mine was purchased for a 1992ss some years back and never used. The bike came with 2 Corbin's and a stock seat, but the PO broke up with his girlfriend before this seat was ever installed. As far as I know all you would need to do is swap the metal hoop for the lock/latch over from your stock seat and you're done.

Send me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The seat for the earlier bikes is about a 1/4 inch shorter than the later bikes (95-) that use the pin style latch rather than the loop on the early bikes.

I found 2 Sargent seats on ebay and they come up from time to time. My bike had a Corbin but I like the Sargent's better as it raises you a bit and I have long legs.

If you can find a beat up Sargent for the right price Sargent could re-finish the seat for you (and do the mod to it if it's a later seat)

You can modify the 95 on seats to fit the early bikes by trimming off the back. Sargent sent me a copy of the template they use to do the job. I made an unmodified late seat fit on the early bike as I wanted to swap over to the later latch style rather than trim the seat. I moved the tank as far forward as it would go and I needed to use a few washers to pack out the loop latch a touch so the seat would overlap slightly. It works and looks fine but it's a bitch to take on and off as I raise the tank to turn off the petcock after each ride so I don't have a repeat of the sump full of fuel. I should get a remote valve I know!

Changing the latch will require a bit of custom work as the late parts don't fit straight on the early bike as the rear of the frame is a little different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts