Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t any interest in bike-to-bike communications as the only people I ride with are those who know each other so well we can communicate quite adequately with body language. However, now that I’ve coughed up the $ for an extra swell, muy scientific Garmin 660 I’m thinking being able to make +/or receive phone calls underway might be a handy thing from time to time.

I’ve got a little Motorola earpiece/mic thingy that works fine in the cage but I don’t know how well it might fare inside a helmet. I doubt if the speaker/earpiece is going to keep out much road noise. (I wear foam earplugs as a religious matter.) And the mic is so short I’m guessing it would get buried between my cheek and the helmet liner.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a SENA SMH-10 that I use with a Garmin 660. It is a really nice unit and works great. I also have it linked to a Motorola MotoACTV for music streaming so I can listen to FM radio or mp3s while riding. I actually have two of them so they can be used as intercom between riders as well. Another very nice feature. Highly recommended. Sena Bluetooth

·
Registered
157 Posts
i used to run the Chatterbox XBI2 units, and they were kind of piss poor.
last january i was at the dealer expo in Indy (i am a business owner in the motorcycle industry) and came across A company called interphone. They make some amazing stuff. My wife and I are currently using there most recent setup, the Interphone F5. The range on these things are amazing! up to 1.5 miles when you are connecting 5 different bikes. all bluetooth!

they are clear as a bell, are fully updateable, they run the most current bluetooth version. a 2 pack comes with 2 units, 2 full face mic/earphone kits, and 2 open face mic/earphone kits. so essentially you can have setups in 4 different helmets, just take the main unit over to desired helmet and off you go.

and a sweet little add on is they now offer a handlebar mounted control for the system. so instead of reaching up to the side of your helmet to activate the communicator, or to turn volume up, switch to FM or streaming music or whatever, you can do it while keeping your hand on the bars.

there is alot of other features and benefits of the F5, if you want more info i can go into ore detail

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a SENA SMH-10 that I use with a Garmin 660. It is a really nice unit and works great. I also have it linked to a Motorola MotoACTV for music streaming so I can listen to FM radio or mp3s while riding. I actually have two of them so they can be used as intercom between riders as well. Another very nice feature. Highly recommended. Sena Bluetooth
+1 on the sena, I have one of these units as well. I never thought much about bike-to-bike coms till I tried one and it makes the riding quite a bit more enjoyable being able to have that instant voice communication. Just remember when researching which to buy that every headset is proprietary and if anyone in your group wants to get one to try out the com system you guys will have to buy the same brand headsets.

Uclear has a nice looking headset out that doesnt have an external mic setup as all other systems have, it has some sort of dual mics built into the speakers that work together to cancle out most all road noise and leave a crisp clean sound of your voice going through to the other end. No clue how good that system works but its an option.

The interphone system is waterproof if you need that. They left the demo unit sitting inside a fish tank all day and pull it out to show that it is still working flawlessly, so if being waterproof is a must the interphone system is the most watertight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had a few but the Sena is the best IMHO.
I also have the Zumo 660 and listen to music and take calls through the device plus it has an aux port if you want to plug iPad in.
The best bit is the battery life as we often leave the Channel open all day to talk as we ride and never runs out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would say the Sena has the loudest volume of all the intercoms I have tried. But feature wise the interpose tops them all.

Although the newest scala is supposed to be pretty on par with the interphone.

The thing I don like about the sena. It's are they only come with the boom mic, and I like the full face kits that don't have a boom mic. You can buy the full face kit separate, but it's just annoying you have to get it separate.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can now buy the Sena with the wired mic and it comes with both a boom and a wired mic. This setup just came out at the very end of July, I got mine just days before our trip to motogp laguna seca. It worked flawlessly with 3 person intercom the whole way there and back with no need to recharge it and that was with listening to music in between intercom time. Once you experience the extra joy of an intercom it almost becomes a must for future rides. When the lead guy can tell you mid corner watch for the small patch of sand on the road mid corner it helps out far more than just coming open it without knowing what's there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also am happy with the Sena.....works great with GPS, phone and music. The battery life is also very good.

There are also some very good videos on YouTube that demo how to set it up.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. Apparently I didn’t do a proper job of explaining myself.

I have NO interest in bike-to-bike communications. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Just need a blue tooth TELEPHONE setup that will work inside a full face helmet.

Thanks in advance.

AK

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think you were pretty clear. And I think the Sena does that perfectly. It will sync with the GPS, phone and mp3 players all separately and together. The way to set it up if you always use your 660 is to have the phone sync to the 660 then have the 660 synch with the headset and you can sync the phone to the headset for music streaming only or have a separate mp3 player. This way the phone is routed through the 660 so you get the keypad and display right in front of you while you can still listen to music which will cut off automatically when you have a GPS direction or incoming phone call.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm really happy with my Scala rider G9, works for me.
I have a Scala G9 and am happy with everything but the quality of sound from the speakers. At slow speeds (low ambient noise) it sounds great but as speeds increase and it increases the volume the speakers start to distort. They sound blown. Anyone notice this or did I get a bad sample?

On a side not, the noise canceling n the mic must work very well. I've had 2 different people tell me I was loud and clear talking while on freeway. :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you were pretty clear. And I think the Sena does that perfectly. It will sync with the GPS, phone and mp3 players all separately and together. The way to set it up if you always use your 660 is to have the phone sync to the 660 then have the 660 synch with the headset and you can sync the phone to the headset for music streaming only or have a separate mp3 player. This way the phone is routed through the 660 so you get the keypad and display right in front of you while you can still listen to music which will cut off automatically when you have a GPS direction or incoming phone call.
Now that's what I'm talkin about! Thanks a bunch. I'm all over it.

AK

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I do use the Sena for bike-to-bike (and that's why I bought it) but it's incredibly useful for just general 'device management' -- and that's how I end up MOSTLY using it.

I actually have, with the newer software, phone synced to it (iPhone, with MP3 capability) and GPS (Zumo 550) also synced on the second profile. I believe the iPhone is A2DP and the Zumo is HFP. This means I can voice dial and answer the phone, control the audio on the phone and have the GPS interrupt if it's giving directions.

It's not perfect; voice recognition for voice dialling is poor for me, and I lose a little bit of a direction as the device switches. Plus apparently pushing a button on the GPS generates a beep and cuts the music, which is a little irritating. I try to do as little as possible of calling and reprogramming the GPS when riding, but sometimes I break my own little safety rules.

The real reason I went with the Sena was the ability to have a headphone base, rather than having to have helmet speakers. I'm an ER6i convert for noise-cancelling and audio on the bike, and I didn't want to give that up. Other solutions required buying an expensive unit and soldering; the Sena gave me it without the risk of totally buggering the thing up.

It's been a good buy. I replaced the unit earlier this year after I dropped it and broke a pin. Later software has definitely improved some of the issues I had with earlier systems, too, and the newer 'B' series are upgradeable over USB for new releases.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The best solution I found was with Nolan & X-Lite helmets + NCOM

It has one of the best integration Comms+Helmet . I Have a Nolan N43 + Ncom and I use it with my TomTom RiderV2 and my Lumia800 ... perfect

With My lumia I even can dictate SMS Replys!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The real reason I went with the Sena was the ability to have a headphone base, rather than having to have helmet speakers. I'm an ER6i convert for noise-cancelling and audio on the bike, and I didn't want to give that up. Other solutions required buying an expensive unit and soldering; the Sena gave me it without the risk of totally buggering the thing up.
This was the reason I went with the Sena. I wanted to be able to ride with my custom molded in-ear monitors. The speakers on the Scala SUCK if you enjoy your music.

The friend I ride with is a pro sound man (you name them, he's probably mixed their monitors on stage) and he loved the Sena, too. After using my wife's headset on our last trip, he bought a pair for his rides with his wife.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I do use the Sena for bike-to-bike (and that's why I bought it) but it's incredibly useful for just general 'device management' -- and that's how I end up MOSTLY using it.

I actually have, with the newer software, phone synced to it (iPhone, with MP3 capability) and GPS (Zumo 550) also synced on the second profile. I believe the iPhone is A2DP and the Zumo is HFP. This means I can voice dial and answer the phone, control the audio on the phone and have the GPS interrupt if it's giving directions.

It's not perfect; voice recognition for voice dialling is poor for me, and I lose a little bit of a direction as the device switches. Plus apparently pushing a button on the GPS generates a beep and cuts the music, which is a little irritating. I try to do as little as possible of calling and reprogramming the GPS when riding, but sometimes I break my own little safety rules.

It's been a good buy. I replaced the unit earlier this year after I dropped it and broke a pin. Later software has definitely improved some of the issues I had with earlier systems, too, and the newer 'B' series are upgradeable over USB for new releases.
I have the Sena as well on all my helmets. I can listen to my iPhone music, and take make calls. The only disadvantage, is if I am am set up to communicate with my passenger, they cannot listen to my music, they would have to have their own device bluetoothed to their set.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the Sena as well on all my helmets. I can listen to my iPhone music, and take make calls. The only disadvantage, is if I am am set up to communicate with my passenger, they cannot listen to my music, they would have to have their own device bluetoothed to their set.
If you both want to listen to the same music you have to get the SM10 Dual Stream

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I have a Scala G9 and am happy with everything but the quality of sound from the speakers. At slow speeds (low ambient noise) it sounds great but as speeds increase and it increases the volume the speakers start to distort. They sound blown. Anyone notice this or did I get a bad sample?

On a side not, the noise canceling n the mic must work very well. I've had 2 different people tell me I was loud and clear talking while on freeway. :)
+1 For SCALA G9. I stepped up from the Scala Q2, and the G9 was vastly superior in sound quality. Still have the q2 for the wife and the G9 has larger speakers. I actually cant have them turned all the way up because its to loud, though i will admit on the highway their not super clear, but i really don't except much from those little speakers. I think you can only have superior sound quality with ear buds which people do get them modded for. Until BOSE starts making helmet speakers i think they all will lack something.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts