Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally stopped procrastinating and am prepping to hardwire the Garmin Zumo onto my 2017 MS Enduro. Tucked under the left side "radiator cover" (the bit that slides forward and off that so many have trouble getting back on again) rear corner are two plugs tied together with a rubber band. The big one is for the handsfree gas cap and the little one is the GPS "presetting cable". I disconnected the mega shrunk-wrapped end of the GPS plug a few hours ago and removed the shrink wrap, no easy chore. It took me almost 20 minutes; each end was wrapped individually then the whole double wrap was wrapped. Anyhow, one picture below show what it looks like; dumb; two black wires which is why every one that has done this states "check polarity first". I then compared the little plug with pics on the Internet and found the same for some Ducati signal wire harnesses, more sensibly wired red and black. You can guess which is live and which is ground on the MS Enduro plug by comparing pics but I'm still going to pull out the multi-meter and confirm.

Now I just need to find a home for the masses of wiring supplied by Garmin. The loom assumes connection to the battery at the back, has a really long USB port cable and a pigtail with in/out sound and a microphone.

The connector link if you are interested in a switched 12V power supply up front: Ducati Turn Signal Wire Harness 848/1098/1198 - 2 Wire - PAIR

·
Registered
37 Posts
I cut most of the wires off my loom and left just the power and shortened it to about 24".

The power for the GPS hookup on the Ducati bordered on insane..Why would they encase it in plastic like that ? Why not just a little shrink tubing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't have my gps mounted all the time but when I do it's just plugged into the power outlet on the right side of the dash. Not sure why anyone would dig down to get those wires.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cut most of the wires off my loom and left just the power and shortened it to about 24".

The power for the GPS hookup on the Ducati bordered on insane..Why would they encase it in plastic like that ? Why not just a little shrink tubing.
I'm glad it wasn't just me! It really did take me 20 mins to remove bits of shrinkwrap as I was trying to be careful and not cut whatever was under the huge black blob.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have my gps mounted all the time but when I do it's just plugged into the power outlet on the right side of the dash. Not sure why anyone would dig down to get those wires.
There is no need to dig down for these connectors; they are immediately below the top plastic and can be easily pulled out in a second without removing any bodywork. The aux lights plug is a different case as it's down further and does require panel removal to get to it; has to be done anyway to mount the aux lights and route cabling. I believe one of the benefits of using the factory wiring is that it's a power-up 12V so the GPS only turns on when the bike is fired up and switches off when the bike is shut down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you to the OP. Good read. To answer why anyone would do this is because it’s there. It’s great it hardwire into an existing unused OEM power lead when you can. If for no other reason than just because.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts