Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a 15/44 gearing my bike will pull redline in 6th. It did so this afternoon ... twice. :)

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Forgive the ignorance...

Is that stock gearing?

If so, so does mine :D

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
OK, so what was the "indicated" top speed? at redline? hmmmm? Aloha Alex

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I showed 131/132mph when the light started flashing...
That makes it about 10mph slower than with the stock gearing...........sh*t, maybe I'll just keep the stock gearing :cool: ......Aloha Alex

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'd rather not get to red line and show 134 as we did before:D but that's just me. and that was on a less modded Hyper than what I have now:eek: I'll be this one will do about 235!!

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm going down 2 or 3 in the rear, hitting the rev limiter at Roebling Rd. 3/4 the way down the straight away lol! A stock 848 is a 39 so will try that first.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going down 2 or 3 in the rear, hitting the rev limiter at Roebling Rd. 3/4 the way down the straight away lol! A stock 848 is a 39 so will try that first.
Personally, now that I've spent some serious seat time on the bike with the bigger rear sprocket, I'd say that the stock gearing is just fine.

The larger rear definitely helps loft monos more easily, and it's great on short hops around town and when ripping in the tight stuff near where I live. But, if I had to do it all over again, I may have left it alone - with the cams and intake pulling redline in 6th with stock gearing wouldn't be a problem. :)

Am I sorry I made the switch? Hell no!!! Wheelies rule!!

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Redline is when the light flashes. Hitting the limiter is a whole other animal ... I could have hit the limiter in 6th but, really, what's the point?

The rev limit does not change, regardless of ECU. However, a Nemesis (and I think the Rapidbike, but not sure) will allow you to change the limiter.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
So what do you think about trying a 15/43 combo? Would it be worth it. I need a new chain as mine is throwing o-rings and I was gonna do the sprocket change too. I need to make a decision, pretty soon the temps will be under 110* and I can ride again. :rolleyes:

Out!

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd go with the stock setup, AXE. 15/43 wouldn't be enough of a difference to really notice anything, and I think 14/42 is a bad idea due to the accelerated wear and tear. (see Hunting Tooth principle)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yeah, I am torn. I like wheelies in 2nd and 3rd with stock gearing. I would like to run 2nd and 3rd more in the tighter stuff without winding out the motor in 1st or 2nd comparitively. Putting around would be good with lower gearing, but I don't do alot of that either.

Also, I can barely get 85 miles to a stock tank now with my mods, so mileage would suffer even more. I don't do a lot of high mileage trips, but I run a section of road that has a lot of twisties and is 95 miles between fuel opps and I can make it with a couple quarts of of extra gas in the tail bag..........maybe not with lower gearing.

In the past everytime I have geared down, I eventually go back to stock. Maybe I should go down a couple teeth and run 1st and 2nd for tight stuff and wheelies. :think:

Out!

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Down would be a good option.

That said, if you want a CHEAP quick solution, you can have all my original stuff (both sprockets and chain) for $50. They've only got a few thousand miles on them and they'll hold you over for a couple thousand more. Not a sales pitch ... just a cheap way to buy yourself some time.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
My chain isn't really stetching much, I just figure without the o-rings it can't be good. I really just want a new rear Supersprox sprocket to look cool. :cool:
My bike barely has 4000 miles and is throwing o-rings, so that is a bit surprising.

Out!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Down would be a good option.

That said, if you want a CHEAP quick solution, you can have all my original stuff (both sprockets and chain) for $50. They've only got a few thousand miles on them and they'll hold you over for a couple thousand more. Not a sales pitch ... just a cheap way to buy yourself some time.
still have these? PM me if so thx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts