Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Javits Show keeps getting even smaller... and smaller...

Not surprised that KTM will be missing, again,
Triumph did their own tour, which probably cost nothing compared to NYC, so I understand them not wanting to get raped.
Also no Indian this year, not that I care that much, but they have some interesting bikes (like FTR)

Biggest shocker to me is that apparently Ducati bailed out as well, I was just at the dealer and they were thinking that Ducati will be there...

Also tickets are up to $22 now because obviously Less is More!

In comparison Long Beach show wrapping up today has Ducati and KTM on the list, vendor list is much longer overall (3 pages for NYC, 4 pages for Long Beach)
There are Demo Rides, FREE motorcycle parking and tickets are $17... I could probably fly to California for less than it's gonna cost to spend a day in NYC :(

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My problem here is not really with Ducati pulling out, but insane cost of NYC venue for the vendors when big manufacturers like Ducati and Triumph decided to skip this stop, biggest show in the most populated area of the country

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I wish Ducati would do demo rides at Long Beach. At least they were there, and so was Aprilia. A demo ride in 2002 or 2003 convinced me I had to have a Tuono, and eventually I got one. I didn't see KTM, but maybe they were hiding there somewhere. Seemed like a pretty good crowd today..

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am super disappointed as well. I was planning to attend to get my first look and seat on the sfv4. I put a deposit down in October and really wanted to see it before delivery.

·
Administrator
12,043 Posts
I wish Ducati would do demo rides at Long Beach. At least they were there, and so was Aprilia. A demo ride in 2002 or 2003 convinced me I had to have a Tuono, and eventually I got one. I didn't see KTM, but maybe they were hiding there somewhere. Seemed like a pretty good crowd today..
I was there too and did not see KTM. I should have been proactive to announce I was going so we could do a little meet and greet.

·
Señor Member
8,084 Posts
I should have been proactive to announce I was going so we could do a little meet and greet.
Had I known you were in Long Beach I would have come out to meet you, it's a short distance from home. I'll be in Sacramento Wednesday evening through Monday morning, maybe we can meet there one of those days.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had I known you were in Long Beach I would have come out to meet you, it's a short distance from home. I'll be in Sacramento Wednesday evening through Monday morning, maybe we can meet there one of those days.
I'm planning to go back in January, not 100% settled, but very likely.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
If you would have been at Barber in October for the Vintage Festival, they had several OEMs giving test rides on Fri, Sat and Sunday.

BMW
Yamaha
Indian (with 3 FTR1200s)
KTM
Royal Enfield

Triumph had bikes on display over on the Midway.

·
Registered
264 Posts
In Chicago last year there was no Ducati or KTM but we did get Triumph.

Looks like more of the same this year. I'm not going again until they bring Ducati and KTM.

·
Administrator
12,043 Posts
It was total spur of the moment, booked a ticket the day before and just stayed for 24 hours. Next time I will do much better planning.

·
Registered
170 Posts
can you blame any of those companies for not showing, Javits and unions ripping them off. I was hoping a bunch would be there so i could sit on the supersport, some others to see what i like.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know people who stopped doing Javits shows (not moto related) because of exuberant costs, it's insane what you have to pay to be there. Not gonna get in to details but from what I heard it's straight up out of Sopranos...

·
Registered
25 Posts
KTM was in Long Beach. Two best shows are usually Long Beach and Chicago. I have to travel to attend either show and drag the wife along so she can shop making a vacation out of the trip. Recently both Dallas and Phoenix shows were a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
IMS, in many cases, rely on local dealerships to be representative of their manufacturers. If the local dealership didn't want to fork out the dough to attend, then Ducati doesn't get represented.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMS, in many cases, rely on local dealerships to be representative of their manufacturers. If the local dealership didn't want to fork out the dough to attend, then Ducati doesn't get represented.
They do rely on Local dealers to man the both but Ducati pays the bill. They might ask local dealers to help out and if one declines they will get another, never shortage of volunteers, it's not up to the dealer to decide if Manufacturer gets represented at IMS, this is not your local fairground leather and Bengay show.
Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, HD are ALLbringing their "corporate" game, and so did Ducati in the past: runway fashion show, free espresso and chocolates...

They decided not to waste their time and money on this overpriced and poorly attended event, perhaps they will come back next year

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
It just occurred to me that the Carlin Dunne memorial fundraiser sponsored by Ducati NA was this weekend. I wonder if it was a funding selection between one and the other?

I would think IMS would come out of an advertising line item, but I don't keep the books there and I don't know what line the fundraiser would line out on.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It just occurred to me that the Carlin Dunne memorial fundraiser sponsored by Ducati NA was this weekend. I wonder if it was a funding selection between one and the other?

I would think IMS would come out of an advertising line item, but I don't keep the books there and I don't know what line the fundraiser would line out on.
Pretty sure there was a Ducati dealer meeting in Manhattan same time too, bet cost of spot in Javits is more than what they raised at the fundraiser

1 - 20 of 22 Posts