Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a '95 900 SS/CR rider, and have been contemplating a newer Duc for the garage, possibly to even replace the old girl. Since I desperately wanted a 916 when they were new and never pulled it off, I'm very interested in and loving the size (and price) of the new 848, which by all reports seems to surpass the original 916 in most performance aspects, but with new-bike dependability, and damned near as sexy looks (at least to my eye).
What is the opinion of you SB folks of the bike?
As for background info, I'm a 4-decade rider, in my 50s, and I won't be doing any track time, just enjoying the local canyons and mountain roads (so the Corse isn't a necessity, thank you very much), and other assorted shorter "fun" rides. Any shortcomings I should know about? Advice, one way or the other?
Any input is greatly appreciated...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I currently have an 1198 so no FHE with the 848 but:
-all reports I have seen say it is a very good bike
-I would buy it before I would buy a 916 for the same reasons you listed
1. newer technology
2. better power
3. better handling

From what I have gathered it is pretty much the same as an 1198 but makes its power with more revs and is down a few HP in comparison. It will still be a BIG increase from the 900ss you have and it is not like anyone actually uses all of an 1198 on the street anyway.

·
Registered
274 Posts
For what it's worth story. I owned a 2001 748 for about 8 years(no longer here,but that's not important). During that time I had the 853 kit installed, Ohlins rear and re valved with Ohlins internals up front.lighter wheels and some other things. That makes it at least a 916 in power. Loved that bike, but as I got older, 66 now, it got smaller! Ran into the side of a Honda and totaled it. Bought an 848 and am completely happy with it. 848 has more power and a goodly amount of torque which the 748 originally lacked. That bike will take you where you need to go. Buy the 848 and you'll be very happy you did. We were out today, I on the 848 and my wife on her 749s. That 848 works great.
Dolph Eley

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great - just what I wanted to hear. Thanks, guys -

·
Premium Member
5,985 Posts
Personally, I think if you always wanted a 916, then you should get a 916. As good as the 848/1098/1198 are, and regardless of how much they recapture the "spirit" of the Tamburini classic, they are not 916's. You could get a well cared for Testastretta based 996 or 998 that will be just as reliable and trouble free as an 848.

Just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Personally, I think if you always wanted a 916, then you should get a 916. As good as the 848/1098/1198 are, and regardless of how much they recapture the "spirit" of the Tamburini classic, they are not 916's. You could get a well cared for Testastretta based 996 or 998 that will be just as reliable and trouble free as an 848.

Just my .02 cents...
That was what I was going to say, take it from a guy who desperately wanted a 748 for the last 10 years, now that I could buy anything I wanted I got the bike I fell in love with all those years ago, nothing newer/better whatever would have sufficed. Get a 916 if that is what you want, otherwise when the newness wears off you won't have to wonder, just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts

Just my .02 cents...
yeah I tend to agree. also now is the time to buy a 916/996 bike. they are at rock bottom prices and there are still plenty of nice ones around. as the years drag on the nice ones will get fewer and fewer and the prices for those ones is sure to go up a bit. so I say enjoy the 916/996/998 now. for a weekend machine with just fun street rides in store it's a fine bike. :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
This is not intended as a criticism of the 916, but 916/996 prices will remain low for many, many years. Despite being an iconic design, there are literally thousands around. Ducati sold over 60,000 of these bikes between all models IIRC.

There will be a supply of bikes in various levels of condition for the forseeable future. At least new, most were loved and bought by people who could afford them. The squid that crashed it before the third payment was due was pretty rare for a $15k bike back in the mid-90's. There are lots of bikes in very good condition, and there are plenty of resources today to make a tired bike look like new.

IMO a person should buy one of these bikes any Ducati made after the bevel bikes because they want one. Period. Not too sound harsh, but the guys selecting a Ducati production bike for investment potential will be very disappointed.

To the original question, I think the 848 would offer more performance, reliability, and riding enjoyment than a 999 much less a 996 or 916. But if someone really wants a 916, that is what they should buy because they do offer a great deal on an exotic bike. For me, I'm constantly weighing the price versus enjoyment. Buy a new 848 or a used 996 and 749?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is not intended as a criticism of the 916, but 916/996 prices will remain low for many, many years. Despite being an iconic design, there are literally thousands around. Ducati sold over 60,000 of these bikes between all models IIRC.

There will be a supply of bikes in various levels of condition for the forseeable future. At least new, most were loved and bought by people who could afford them. The squid that crashed it before the third payment was due was pretty rare for a $15k bike back in the mid-90's. There are lots of bikes in very good condition, and there are plenty of resources today to make a tired bike look like new.

IMO a person should buy one of these bikes any Ducati made after the bevel bikes because they want one. Period. Not too sound harsh, but the guys selecting a Ducati production bike for investment potential will be very disappointed.

To the original question, I think the 848 would offer more performance, reliability, and riding enjoyment than a 999 much less a 996 or 916. But if someone really wants a 916, that is what they should buy because they do offer a great deal on an exotic bike. For me, I'm constantly weighing the price versus enjoyment. Buy a new 848 or a used 996 and 749?
Yup. I've had conversations with myself on all these points...

·
Registered
80 Posts
And yet barely 10 of those on eBay right now, those are pretty hard to come by despite your claim and they go for a premium.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Totally agree with the "if that's what you wanted, get it". Took me over 10 years to get my Avus blue/dove grey E36 M3 in a country 5,000 miles away, but I got it, and was ecstatic every time I drove it.

There are lots of well cared for 916 examples to be found. I personally prefer the xx9 styling over the 848 and chose a 749 for my stepping stone until I get a nice 999S but I truly miss the gentle jarring and cuddling position of my 916. I've seen a few 996SPS close to 10K if memory serves me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went through a similar process of deciding whether to buy my dream bike Ducati 999 or get a new 848 Evo. I ended up getting an 848 Evo Corse, my first Ducati, and couldn't be happier. With the 848, I have a new trellis frame Ducati which could be one of the last trellis frame super bikes they will make. It has a warranty, DQS, DTC and certainly enough power for me. Its also sexy(although not as sexy as the 999 but that's just me). I still plan to one day get a 999 and I'm sure I will find one when the time is right. As far as finding a used 916, it seems that 10 bikes on ebay gives you a decent amount of choice. A little while ago, I had to wait a year until I found the "right" Porsche 993. It seems there will always be owners willing to part with their baby if only to let someone else enjoy and care for it. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts