Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Semi retired duc fan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may or may not know. I've been on the hunt for a 749 for the last 6 months or so. Which had to be put on hold as my wife got a job in Wyoming, and we relocated up here. Which made my 749 hunt well let's just say a lot harder than I thought I'd be. The yellow ones I could find here and there. It was finding a red 749 with everything I wanted, all keys, in really good shape, etc. That started to be the problem among other things as well. Living in Wyoming and wanting a Italian super bike. Does not come without its problems trust me....
After all this hunting and hunting. I think I've finally found one that meets all my wants. And fellow member on here is selling his 06 at a good price. After talking with him seeing pics and and few videos of it running. It's one of the best I've seen.
The problem is that's he's in Canada. And I've never imported anything from there, let alone a motorcycle. I've read the cbp website as much as I can. And it reads like a set of stereo instructions. So at this point I'd figure I'd turn to you guys. I'm hoping someone here has done this. And may be able to give me some help. Tell me if this is easy or hard as hell. What's all involved etc. And maybe some good shipping company's too. As one quote I've gotten was around $1600 dollars. Which is a little high to me.

Any help you guys could give would be great. As I would like to give her a new home by Christmas time. Can't think of a better Christmas present to give to myself than that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I`m kind of going about this answer backwards as I`ve only imported bikes from the US to Ontario. The first one was a bit confusing when reading the government instructions online but after talking to a customs agent on the phone and rereading the instructions it wasn`t too bad. Second one wasn`t even a concern.
Importing FROM Canada can`t be all that difficult as all bikes from I believe the mid 90`s are North America bikes, not US or Canadian. Do you have a link from the US government site?

Ray

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
US Customs will need the Bill of Sale — and the Certificate of Origin for new bikes.

Also, any bike imported must have a Letter of Conformity generated by the manufacturer of the bike stating the bike (VIN) meets US EPA and DOT standards. Contact Ducati North America to obtain this.

The LOC is essentially equivalent to the DOT federal safety certification label and EPA emissions label that are required to be affixed to all imported bikes.

Imported bikes must have a speedometer that reads either mph, or both mph and kph.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
...any bike imported must have a Letter of Conformity generated by the manufacturer of the bike stating the bike (VIN) meets US EPA and DOT standards. Contact Ducati North America to obtain this.

The LOC is essentially equivalent to the DOT federal safety certification label and EPA emissions label that are required to be affixed to all imported bikes...
in paragraph one, above, are you saying the LoC must have the particular imported bike's VIN on it, or that the LoC is for the whole lot of the bike's run for that year?

then in paragraph two, are you saying the LoC can substitute for all the epa, dot, etc stickers on a US version of the same bike?

·
Registered
133 Posts
to OP,
AirCanada does ship motorcycles for pretty cheap, last time i checked, from Nova Scotia to California was like $800 Canadian Dollars, that's around $5 American i believe :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts