Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble finding information, and understanding what it takes to defeat the immobilizer on my S4.
Bought the bike with a single black key and the code card.

Just dont want to have issues down the line.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have the code card, you should never have an issue. That will allow you to program new keys. Also if there is an immobilizer error it will allow you to simply enter the code to temporarily override the system and start the bike.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
just get the black key cloned. easy.

i don't believe the code card is any help in coding new keys. you need the red key to instigate the key coding procedure on the bike. but now that locksmiths can clone the black keys that's not an issue

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting.

Is the key plank something most locksmiths (with the ability to clone) would have? Or something I should order my own blanks for?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
if you want a ducati blank you'll need to order from a dealer. my locksmith who clones has a generic blank. well, i've not tried having a ducati black key blank cloned, but i assume it would work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having trouble finding information, and understanding what it takes to defeat the immobilizer on my S4.
Bought the bike with a single black key and the code card.

Just dont want to have issues down the line.

Thanks for the help.
I bought an S4R that only had a single black key. No Red or code card. There is a company in Oregon that will reverse engineer everything but you have to send them the ignition and ECU. they turn it around in about a week. $500 roughly

The dealer I purchased my bike from disabled the immobilizer at no charge. I can use any key now regardless of RFID. It only took them about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
See that ? Why do some dealers do this , no problem, other dealers it’s mysterious magical bull shit and costs you $1000 ? Don’t all respond at once.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i'd say not many dealers have software to flash ecu outside of the ducati tools, which are in the realm of "ecu updates" and certainly don't allow the technicians (who the factories generally view as fuckwits not to be trusted) to do anything outside of factory supplied files.

also, a lot of dealers, ime, would not be interested in doing so because of the work being outside the parameters of franchise, blah blah blah.

plus it's a service many would charge for, so they wouldn't do it for free on principle. i do.

it might also depend on who "generated" the issue, so to speak. the fact the dealer did it for free in this instance headed off any issues that, had there been an issue, would have started with the line "you only gave me one key". dealership does it for free and looks good. any other solution would have cost them a lot more, so you'd chalk it up to good business.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
actually, the more i think about it, what sort of dickhead dealership sells an immo'd bike with only one key? or any bike with one key.
"we only got one with the trade" just makes it all ok huh? well, go get another one cut moron. how hard is that? that's just total laziness.

fuckwits.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i was just flashing back to being the person from the service department designated to talk to the person from the sales department when they had found themselves in a pickle and were trying to find someone else in the building to pin it on.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You can find the blanks on e-bay. The trick is finding a place that’s willing to clone the key. I think I went to every freakin locksmith in Phoenix and every one of them told me it couldn’t be done. Finally, I walked in to Lowe’s and asked the pimply faced teenager in the key section if she could clone the key. She said “I have no idea, let me try”. She put the key in the little box, punched a few buttons and voila. Works like a charm. She didn’t even charge me...

Cost $30 for the blank and $10 to cut it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My bike was bought/serviced at Gold Coast (Long Island) and Traded in at MaxBMW in Troy.

While I can not claim to be a big fan of any dealerships, these two stand out in my mind.
Wonder if they already defeated the immobilizer? How can one tell?

Either way, I want a spare key.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So when I got my S2R1000 I only got one key. The following week I reached out a company called SOS, I think they are out of Seattle, don't quote me on that. I had a second black key made along with a red key and a code card. Back then I think I paid a bit under $400.
The week after that I purchased a flashed tuned ECU. But, I now have all keys with card in case I wanted to sell my bike without the mods (exhaust & air filter).

·
Registered
12 Posts
My bike was bought/serviced at Gold Coast (Long Island) and Traded in at MaxBMW in Troy.

While I can not claim to be a big fan of any dealerships, these two stand out in my mind.

I got mine done at Hudson Valley Motorcycles in Ossining NY, sort of splits the difference between the 2 you like. If you want to know if its already defeated buy a blank non RFID key (pretty cheap) and have it cut. If it starts you're golden.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

unplug the dash and see if it runs. a disabled immo bike will.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I hate to hijack the thread, but all this talk about casually defeating immobilizers interests me!!

Ive been wanting to replace the oversized dash on my 07 S4RS for a while with one of the smaller motogadget dashes from motowheels, and use the bluetooth digital ignition lock to replace the ignition tumbler as well. This removes two of the three components of the immobilizer system (dash, key ring, ecu). Is there an easy way to do this? ECU flash i think would take care of it, but who does it?

Thanks for the assistance!

·
Registered
698 Posts
yes, you just flash the ecu with an immo disabled file and can then do what you want with keys and dash.
Yup, I thought it was that easy.. Do you know who can perform this specifically? My local dealer won't. Is there a mail in service I can use?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts