Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I just bought one of those Blank cloneable keys from the guy on ebay.
My bike only had one key, and of course its a black key.
Fortunately Im an electronic engineer for a very very high end Security Fire, lock and safe company in Portland OR.
And guess what? We have the readers to read the existing black key and make a copy so long as you have the blank/ uncut and programable clone key.
No need for the red key.
Ill post up and let you know how it works for me. I guess we do this alot for BMW and Porche owners with pissed off wives that hide the key and try to take the cars.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Ok I got my key last week with zero issues from the guy on ebay that sells the blank clonable keys.
Easy transaction and good communication.
My guys at our shop have the RW4 key code reader and it read my black key code just fine.
We inserted the new cloneable key and within seconds done.
We cut the key to match mine and it was a perfect match.
My bike fired up and road fine. I just went for a 200 mi ride with that new key in the ignition.
If you get a cloneable key we CAN copy them for 18.00 us.

http://www.alliedfireandsecurity.com/

I work at the portland Oregon branch.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just joined the club - bought an '06 SS1000DS with one black key. There is a possibility of the previous owner finding the red key so will wait a bit. And reread this thread.

The only time I've used the red key previously was when the dealer installed a new gauge cluster under warranty. I assume that would still be an issue even with a cloned black key. Any other time a red key would be necessary? My understanding is that it's paired with the ECU so if the ECU was replaced a new key would be necessary too. So that a cloned key is mostly (very) useful as a spare as long as nothing else goes bad.

Great post - and timely, thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
To get around the no key/smashed gauge cluster issue, I sent my S2r800 ECU to Desmoporsche. They Eliminated the immobilizer and the need for stock gauges (although it will still work) and put a DP fuel map in the ECU. $250 for an ECU flash is a bit steep, but it kept me from having to buy all the matching pieces for my bike build.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi
I have another problem...
I have a S4R with a broken gauges/clocks, and i dont have the red key too...
If i buy a used gauges for my bike, does it solve my problem? Or the gauges have any kind of code/transponder too???

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a 05 800ss without a "red" key. Didn't even know about the "red" key issue untill I had brought the bike home. Now this bike was to be my wifes and seeing how we can't go more than a week without her losing her car/house/gate/etc... keys I've been STRESSED OUT about the impending $1200-$2000 bill that is no doubt right around the corner!

However thanks to Michael Moore at www.ducatimonster.org I may have found a cheaper alternative...

(From Bryan, aka 'the Beav')

Bike only has black key-

I’ve read rants about the conspiracy theory that Ducati and/or their dealers contrived some sort “brilliant” scheme to strike it rich selling gauge clusters, ECU’s and ignition locks to people who loose their red key or buy bikes without even knowing the red key exists and it just doesn’t make sense. Installing immobilizers in order to turn their loyal followers into an angry mob for sport doesn’t make sense either. It’s just not good for business. I offer a new theory that I think we all can relate to the inconveniences of. Vehicle transponder/immobilizers were introduced as a result of insurance bodies refusing to underwrite vehicles that did not have some form of passive electronic immobilization. “Passive” meaning that no action had to be undertaken by the user to 'arm' the system. Initially, not every corner locksmith in all of Ducati’s distribution markets had the equipment to duplicate the transponder keys so Ducati, in attempt to make it easy for consumers, spec’ed an Italian made system that allows the owner of a vehicle to code new keys by using the bike’s own ignition switch! Pretty cool deal, but you can’t loose that red key. The use of transponder keys is now so wide spread that almost any lock smith that specializes in automotive keys will have the equipment to “clone” the code from an existing black key on to a new “zero value code” transponder key blank. Currently, the difficult part is acquiring one of these blanks in the US (Silca KW17T5). No, the Ducati key that you buy at the parts counter won’t work because it already has a proprietary code on it, therefore it can only be programmed by the ignition/red key method. A very helpful locksmith went to great lengths to find me a blank, however he was told by one of his suppliers, who claimed to be the major importer of Silca transponder key blanks to the US, that they have to import 1,000 blanks at a time so it may take three months to three years before that particular blank shows enough demand to warrant stocking it. Thus far, I have only found one source for this key blank in the US. There is a guy on eBay who is selling these blanks for $45 shipped. If you send him your key, he will cut and clone it for an additional $25 (I bought one it works great!) Initially, all the lock smiths I talked to said, “A Ducati? You’ll have to go to the dealer. The dealers seem to only be aware of the locks/gauge/ECU/new red key method to make a key. The good news on that front is, due to the whining by both consumers and dealers about the nearly $3000 cost of this method, Ducati has negotiated new pricing from their OEM suppliers and just recently been able to bring the price of the whole deal down to around $750. In comparison, the usual cost of a transponder key is around $30 - $40, with an additional $30 - $50 to clone and cut it. It seems that owners of immobilizer equipped Ducatis, Ducati dealers, as well as locksmiths have been baffled by the seemingly huge mystery of the red key because we simply haven’t been armed with the knowledge of the correct transponder key blank we need to make a key. In my idealistic “World Domination Plan”, every DML member needs to flip open the yellow pages and call five automotive locksmiths and ask if they can get a Silca KW17T5 transponder key blank. I think it’s likely we would either find a good source for the blank or the ‘critical mass’ would create enough demand to warrant stocking the blanks and the whole “You cannot make a copy without the red key” issue would finally come to an end!

If you are considering buying a bike without a red key, use it as a bargaining chip to get the price down, but don’t let it scare you away or immediately assume that the bike is stolen - crazed girl friends and repo’s happen! If you already own a bike that has no red key, don’t despair, you have some options for additional keys and no, you don’t need a red key to remap the fuel injection.

If, you have a black key, but no red key, you can make a copy of the black key. You will need a Silca KW17T5 transponder key blank and a lock smith with one of the following cloners (Ilco/Silca - RW2 or RW3, Strattec - Quick code, Jet – Smart clone, Bianchi - Repli-code).

If you want to buy the bits from your Ducati dealer that you’ll need to get a new red key, you’ll need a new gauge cluster - $220; ECU - $249; ignition/keys - $249.

If you want to McGyver it, take the dynamic D sticker off of your black key, push the cross pin out so you can pull the key blade out of the plastic head, then fish out the transponder and JB Weld it on the inside of your ignition housing. Then go get all the $5.00 keys made you want!
Has anyone ever done this cuz I tried and it wouldn't start either electrical tape the chip to a key

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think so. I have a feeling the whole thing is more of a passive RFID system. I've never had to change a battery in a key for any car I've owned, I don't think the Ducs are any different.

The idea of pulling the transponder out of my key and permanently attaching it to the key area is interesting but it depends on how difficult it will be pull.
Maybe cloning the black key properly is the better option?
I have a 2005 Ducati supersport and I'm in the midst of trying different ways to attach the chip right now I haven't had any luck so far it's right inside the ignition tried pulling the Lockheed apart and putting it where the wire goes in to the ignition neither worked I can't even get it to work attached to a another key in an aftermarket ignition set I don't know why it only works on this key

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very helpful and interesting thanks guys?
Question tho..are all the ducs with the red key immobs the same? I mean I know the a few of the Ss i.e and monsters use the same in that era but are they the same?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am in the same bucket. Bought a use Monster 1200 from the Ducati dealer. After signing everything he told me that there is only one key and I took it.

Did not know anything about the red key. Isn't the Ducati dealer expected to tell me this sort of thing? This is why one would buy from a dealer I would assume.

Anyways this thread gives me a lot of confidence.

Edit: Seems like 2014+ models don't have the red key anymore. :)

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Yeah, no red keys on the new bikes. 2012 and up, or there abouts depending on the model.

Take it to the dealer, have them hook up the DDA (Ducati DIagnostics Analyzer). New key blanks are something like $70 if I remember correctly. Ther'es a key programming mode, all keys present get put into the ECU, any keys not present get removed. Expect to pay 0.5 hours of labor, they may do it for free or reduced price with another service that also hooks up to the DDA, buying the blank from them might also help them to reduce the labor price.

I agree with the above statement, shit act by the dealer though. Is there another one near by?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts