Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - tech help needed (long post - sorry in advance). I have taken my 2008 GT1000 out of storage after approx 3 months. First of all battery seemed dead - I optimated (trickle charged) it overnight and it seemed to have good charge. Everything worked when ignition key turned to on - relays clicked / fuel pump operated / dials swept but when pushing elec start button - nothing..just a click and the headlight turns 'off' (goes to sidelight) - nothing else operates until I cycle the key off and on. So, I replaced battery. New battery turned the engine over fine but bike didn't start. It flattened the battery and it just started clicking again....(for some reason couldn't even jump start it)...so charged battery with my optimate. Bike then started fine!!! Yippeee!! Until the next day....exactly the same thing is now happening. No turnover - just a click and out goes the headlight (or very dim). I'm guessing immobiliser problem. So battery is fully charged. I have tried all my keys - no different. I checked all fuses, checked / remade earth connection on engine / power connector to starter motor - all wiring connectors etc. I have noticed when key is turned on all dials sweep etc. the OEBD amber light stays on as does the amber led warning light - this is why I think its an immobiliser issue...Any input or assistance would be appreciated.

Update 1 - just went to the bike put in key and nothing...all same. Took key out put it back in turned on and OEBD light went out and bike turned over and started....so then took key out and did it again and the OEBD light stayed on and no turnover of engine and headlight of / dim when push start button...I obviously have some kind of intermittent immobiliser issue

Update 2 - I have found if when I turn ignition key on and wiggle the surround that is around the ignition barrel (which has the transponder receiver in it) the OEBD light goes out and the bike will start. So its def immobiliser / transponder receiver issue. Is this part available?

Any other ideas people??

·
Excel Addict
5,134 Posts
From update 2 I would presume a connection problem in the wiring rather than an immobiliser problem.
I have read in the past that this is not uncommon.
Check antennae connections and that it is located correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Punch. I'm convinced (at the moment) its an antenna issue - if I move the housing where the antenna is fitted (after undoing the 2 nuts) I can get the OEBD light to extinguish and therefore can start the bike. Connections wise down stream all seem good (I have identified connectors and have pulled apart and remade them to make sure). The antenna issue to me sounds a bit flaky but as I mentioned by moving it up and around the key I can get the immobiliser to disarm...so I think I've got to try changing that first and if that doesn't solve it then look deeper....

·
Excel Addict
5,134 Posts
Agree.
The workshop manual shows how to remove and refit.
If you don't have a manual, you may find it here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Punch, well I replaced the transponder antenna.....issue is not much better. I can reliably disarm the immobiliser (and start the bike) by moving the housing with the antenna in up towards the key by about 5-8 mm. As soon as I put the housing back in its proper position the immobiliser does not disarm and the OEBD light stays on....I am now at a loss and do not know how to move forward with this problem...Any ideas?

·
Excel Addict
5,134 Posts
Sorry for the delay - I did not see your response.
Maybe it is a wiring or connection issue that goes away when you move the antenna up.
I.e. like a wire jiggling test.
Not having an immobiliser on my bike, I am not familiar with how it is located or wired.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey sorry for late reply. The connection to the RFID Reader under the ignition cover is wanky. It sounds like random garbage advice, but the connector becomes stressed over time, with the wires pulling quite strongly at each end. There are a lot of stupid bends and its' just a dumb place for that thing. I had the "check engine light" not going off 2 times in 3 years. BOTH times, it was that connector just wigglying it's way down it's mounting tab and when that happens it's not getting power and the immobilizer is F'd!!!!!

Edit - as i understand it there are obviously no moving parts in the system and they are pretty full proof. So if yours isn't working absolutely it can be that connector being pulled to much. It's on the right hand frame member that connects the side frame rails to the steering head, top bar just there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey sorry for late reply. The connection to the RFID Reader under the ignition cover is wanky. It sounds like random garbage advice, but the connector becomes stressed over time, with the wires pulling quite strongly at each end. There are a lot of stupid bends and its' just a dumb place for that thing. I had the "check engine light" not going off 2 times in 3 years. BOTH times, it was that connector just wigglying it's way down it's mounting tab and when that happens it's not getting power and the immobilizer is F'd!!!!!

Edit - as i understand it there are obviously no moving parts in the system and they are pretty full proof. So if yours isn't working absolutely it can be that connector being pulled to much. It's on the right hand frame member that connects the side frame rails to the steering head, top bar just there.
Hi Erics75218
Thanks for your reply and ideas.
I replaced the transponder antenna.....issue is no better. I can reliably disarm the immobiliser (and start the bike) by moving the housing with the antenna in it up towards the key by about 5-8 mm. As soon as I put the housing back in its proper position (where it is secured with 2 dome nuts) the immobiliser does not disarm and the OEBD light stays on....It seems to me that I am getting a weak transponder electromagnetic field from the antenna - what supplies that signal to the antenna? (is it the reg / rec or the ECU ??) I have no idea.....any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Find a way to mount the thing higher where it will work properly. When my Monster did similar it was connectors that had pulled apart due to zip ties too close to the connectors from the factory. I replaced zip ties, moving them away from connectors.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would check voltage to the antenae at that stupid connector, if it's putting out a weak signal and it's brand new, and it has no moving parts it should be ok and it is, kinda. So maybe it's not getting the right voltage. The key has NO voltage or anything on it, so....its your antenae and we just have to figure out why it's not putting out a full bad ass signal.

You don't have any carbon shrouds or anything strange around your ignition key do ya?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would check voltage to the antenae at that stupid connector, if it's putting out a weak signal and it's brand new, and it has no moving parts it should be ok and it is, kinda. So maybe it's not getting the right voltage. The key has NO voltage or anything on it, so....its your antenae and we just have to figure out why it's not putting out a full bad ass signal.

You don't have any carbon shrouds or anything strange around your ignition key do ya?
Hi Erics75218
you are right about the weak signal - I've just got to figure out why...I have nothing other than stock parts on the bike (other than Termi's!). Here's a picture showing the shroud that houses the antenna - I have removed the domed nuts that secure it in place.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Couldn't find a better photo, but if you look at this image, you can see the ignition cylinder is much closer to the top of the shroud than on your bike? I don't know how the inductor band antenae thing sits under the shroud, but if it rests on the ignition, and your ignition is to low, maybe the key RFID can't reach the antennae because it's to far away?

Can anyone else chime in here, that ignition barrel looks a good 1cm to low in the shroud

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Couldn't find a better photo, but if you look at this image, you can see the ignition cylinder is much closer to the top of the shroud than on your bike? I don't know how the inductor band antenae thing sits under the shroud, but if it rests on the ignition, and your ignition is to low, maybe the key RFID can't reach the antennae because it's to far away?

Can anyone else chime in here, that ignition barrel looks a good 1cm to low in the shroud
The antenna is inside the very top of the shroud - so the higher the shroud is means the antenna is closer to the key and the better it works - the shroud is sitting high in my picture as I have not put it correctly back in place and done up the 6mm domed nuts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts