Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,198 Posts
I just did this on my 1200 multi with the decal from vulturebike. First off - these decals are the "air bleed" type, they allow trapped air to diffuse through the decal so theres not much worry about trapped air. You don't want to use soapy water or any other liquid because the decals need to be heated and stretched. Doing a trial fit of all the parts on the bike is very important because that is the only way to make sure everything lines up and is straight. I didn;t remove any parts off my bike.

I took the decal kit and my bike to a local shop that does wraps. They wanted $500 to install it and told me if they ruined any part I was out of luck - no guarantees. Heck I might as well do it myself, at least then I'm only out the cost of the stickers.

I made a few mistakes and had some pucker moments but all in all I think it came out great:
(there is a caveat. My bike is almost 10 years old with over 45,000 miles on it, If things aren't perfect I dont really sweat it, so I wasn't picky about this and I'm probably willing to accept more imperfections than most other Ducati owners, this install isn't perfect.)

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just did this on my 1200 multi with the decal from vulturebike. First off - these decals are the "air bleed" type, they allow trapped air to diffuse through the decal so theres not much worry about trapped air. You don't want to use soapy water or any other liquid because the decals need to be heated and stretched. Doing a trial fit of all the parts on the bike is very important because that is the only way to make sure everything lines up and is straight. I didn;t remove any parts off my bike.

I took the decal kit and my bike to a local shop that does wraps. They wanted $500 to install it and told me if they ruined any part I was out of luck - no guarantees. Heck I might as well do it myself, at least then I'm only out the cost of the stickers.

I made a few mistakes and had some pucker moments but all in all I think it came out great:
(there is a caveat. My bike is almost 10 years old with over 45,000 miles on it, If things aren't perfect I dont really sweat it, so I wasn't picky about this and I'm probably willing to accept more imperfections than most other Ducati owners, this install isn't perfect.)

Looks good.

I messed up on the throttle side fairing and will have to order a new one. There is a "dog ear" section at the top of it that I should have been smart enough to cut off. That's what I'll do with the next one.

I don't see any way your average person is going to be able to line it up and get it perfect without trimming that piece off. The dog ear basically wraps over the top of the side fairing (making it white).

It's absolutely unnecessary and takes the install difficulty from a 5 to an 11.

I got the nose piece and the tank decals on with ease (didn't take them off the bike.).

I'm waiting to do the tail section (looks easy) until I can get the side fairings on and confirm that they look good/I want to keep this decal kit on.

·
Smut peddler
815 Posts
... If things aren't perfect I dont really sweat it, so I wasn't picky about this and I'm probably willing to accept more imperfections than most other Ducati owners.
Um... yeah, right.:rolleyes: I call bs on that one.

:grin2:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts