Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo...I ordered a tricolor decal kit for my 2015 from vulturebike. It was very exciting, but unfortunately it was delivered today, and now my excitement has turned to pure panic.

How hard are these things to put on?

Also, It appears as if I'll have to take off the badging on the rear panel that says multistrada 1200S. Is that a bolt on, or just a sticky badge?

Have I made a huge mistake?

Will I immediately regret this decision?

·
Excel Addict
5,069 Posts
Soooo...I ordered a tricolor decal kit for my 2015 from vulturebike. It was very exciting, but unfortunately it was delivered today, and now my excitement has turned to pure panic.

How hard are these things to put on?
Head to the supermarket and buy a cheap spray bottle - can be less than a pint or half a litre.
Add a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid and fill to the above capacity with water.

Lightly spray where the decals are to go, then apply them.
The liquid allows you to move the decals around.
Then use a credit card to carefully move any air bubbles to the edge.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Head to the supermarket and buy a cheap spray bottle - can be less than a pint or half a litre.
Add a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid and fill to the above capacity with water.

Lightly spray where the decals are to go, then apply them.
The liquid allows you to move the decals around.
Then use a credit card to carefully move any air bubbles to the edge.
These have a sticky backing. I haven't seen anything online that suggests to do that with these.

I know that's how some decals are applied, but I don't think these are designed to go on wet.

·
Excel Addict
5,069 Posts
These have a sticky backing. I haven't seen anything online that suggests to do that with these.

I know that's how some decals are applied, but I don't think these are designed to go on wet.
I have done that many times with sticky backed decals.
A friend who makes and applies sticky backed decals showed me when he applied decals to a car for a business we used to own.

You could always do a test run with some other cheapo sticky backed decal/sticker to check the merit of the method, then peel it off after it has fully dried.

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just did a Vulture Bike kit on my panigale and it was a bitch. The decals are more like a thin wrap material than a actual decal. I tried to do it with the soap/water but that doesn't allow you to pull and stretch around curves.

t_bare

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the rear Multistrada 1200S badge on the rear panel, apply a bit of heat from a heat gun and, using dental floss, run the floss behind the badge to remove it. You’ll be left with some residue which can be removed using Goo Gone. Take your time, be patient, and it’ll work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've applied the same Tricolore stickers to my bike. The beak and tail stickers are fairly easy to apply and smooth. The soapy water spray is necessary. The very complex concave and convex curves on the side panels make those stickers more difficult to apply and get smooth.

I'd recommend getting the side stickers positioned correctly on the bike and then remove the radiator cover panels and work the stickers down on the panels while they are off the bike. I didn't do that and the job suffered a bit. Overall, it still looks nice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just did a Vulture Bike kit on my panigale and it was a bitch. The decals are more like a thin wrap material than a actual decal. I tried to do it with the soap/water but that doesn't allow you to pull and stretch around curves.

t_bare
Excellent point, and that is exactly what worries me about using soapy water.

I feel like these are going to need a bit of heat and finesse.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vulture bike have videos on how to install these. Take a look on their website or SJW infested YT.
I can't find any application videos on their website.

I only found one video on youtube, for an older 1200 model, and it has me thinking that it will be easier to apply everything if I leave it on the bike (don't know how true that is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

t_bare
Looks great!

Do you think it would have been easier to apply them if the fairings were on the bike?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Good call!!! Soapy water works but this is da shit...............................

·
Registered
21 Posts
On my Multi I removed as many panels as I could. This gives you flexibility when applying the stickers. The only one
I left on was the large panel that fits over and around the gas tank - this was straight forward to apply. The side panels require you to wrap behind the panel and need some stretching and heat to form around the curves. See pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you decide against trying to do it yourself, find a local window tinting or clear bra shop and see if they'll do the work. Experienced window tint pros can work magic with films and stickers, this is an easy job compared to the back window on some cars.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you decide against trying to do it yourself, find a local window tinting or clear bra shop and see if they'll do the work. Experienced window tint pros can work magic with films and stickers, this is an easy job compared to the back window on some cars.
The only reason I'm not doing EXACTLY that, is that it appears that some parts of the decal are not meant to "wrap around the edge".

I don't want to go through a tutorial of "look at these pics...notice this...notice that.." only to have them screw it up in the end and then I have $150 worth of ruination, that I had to pay $150 to have done.

...then have the pleasure of peeling it all off myself.

Plus I am in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma right now.

IDK...I'll look around and see anyway.

I have an appointment for my 18,000 mile desmo service in OKC on Friday, so all of this will have to wait until after that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts