Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

I'm Sold on the Slipper!

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  dukepilot 
#1 ·
Just got my bike back on the road today after an extended period of being in pieces in my garage. One of the mods is the installation of an EVR CTS01 slipper clutch. I've never ridden a bike with a slipper clutch before so before I purchased it I was unsure of the actual benefit.

I can say now that it was well worth it. Being able to backshift with impunity into a corner entry sure is fun. The clutch smoothly slips just enough to keep the rear wheel from locking up and provides just enough compression braking to smoothly setup for turns.

Other recent mods include an aluminum subframe, Speedcell Battery, and a very lightweight Mivv full ti 2-1 exhaust with Arrow collectors. The exhaust sounds great and the lighter overall weight of the bike is very apparent.

#2 ·
it IS good!

Just wait till your at the track and go from 120MPH to 10MPH & 6th to 2nd in a blink of an eye for a hard left hander, the slipper clutch works "AMAZING!" :D I glad you like it! Aloha Alex

PS: do you have a picture of your exhaust? and will you be doing a dyno run?

#3 ·
Just wait till your at the track and go from 120MPH to 10MPH & 6th to 2nd in a blink of an eye for a hard left hander, the slipper clutch works "AMAZING!" :D I glad you like it! Aloha Alex

PS: do you have a picture of your exhaust? and will you be doing a dyno run?
I'll post up some pics tomorrow. I've got to get the bike back on the dyno to see the effect of the Rapid Bike firmware update, fuel mapping changes I've made, and the new exhaust. The bike runs plenty strong, easily as good or better than before. Did a bunch of throttle roll on runs today and the bike seems dialed. I'll know for sure when I hook it up to the dyno sniffer.

#4 ·
Like Alex said.... The slipper is even better on the track. But I do enjoy the extra bit of safety when cruising the canyons too. I've had the back end sliding around with the slipper but never a chatter at the wheel no matter how many gears I go down at one time!

#6 ·
Link from Mivv's site: http://www.mivv.it/en/prodotti_apri.asp?cl=1&cs=767

It seems to come with a pretty nice tail tidy, in my opinion.

I didn't realize how much difference a slipper makes at the track until I banged 1st gear on my slipper-less CBR. Holy pogo-stick!!

The only problem with a slipper clutch is once you've had one on the track, you find that now ANY bike you take to the track needs one...

#15 ·
..... The clutch smoothly slips just enough to keep the rear wheel from locking up .....
I hope that's not the main reason you got 'em slipper clutch :D Coz if you've been riding without it and you lock up... errr... :think:

Btw, if one actually relies taps the rear brakes or even a light press at the wrong time, during hard braking and down shifts, lockups of the rear will still occur ;)

Personally, I dislike the slipper clutch. During my final year of racing, which was on a 999, I told them to remove the slipper clutch. This helped greatly during launches at the grid. Had to, when racing against inline 4's a good start is a must. I find that slipper clutches suck big time for starts.

#16 ·
Locking up the rear wheel hasn't been a problem prior to the slipper clutch. I got it just for the hell of it. I'm no racer but I do enjoy a good ride through the canyons and goaty twisty roads. With the slipper, I find that riding requires less effort when setting up for a turn on crappy pavement. I did notice that the clutch engages further out and that did require some adjustment.

#17 ·
I have to admit that I miss the slipper on my MTS 620 (the 620's had a slipper as stock). The engine braking on the Hyper can get tiresome during a fast, back road blast with a lot of tight, 2nd gear turns...

Is the slipper an easy self-install item? I'm definitely in the mechanically-inclined group, but I don't have any direct experience with this mod... are there any specific tools necessary that a normal guy wouldn't already have?

#18 ·
Its pretty simple to install. You'll need a clutch hub holding tool. Other than that, some sockets, a medium range torque wrench and a big torque wrench to tighten the main nut. An impact also comes in handy too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.