Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to replace my chain adjusters since the PO's wreck bent one of the bolts and it was a pain to adjust. I got one out though it was tight. The other one almost came out but then the bolt snapped in two!!! :(

The good news is I have at least a 1/2" of thread still sticking out to grab. The bad news is even with a solid Vice Grip grab, it won't budge. I have a propane torch but haven't gone that route yet. I thought I'd throw it up here and see what the masses thought.

Also, how hard is it to get the swingarm off at this point. The bike is on a rear stand now but I guess I can jack it up from the rafters by the frame. Do I have to unload the shock or anything? Anybody got a simple step-by step for me?

·
Registered
329 Posts
You may want to try a screw extractor first but you have to be carefull not to snap that in there too and use plenty of penetrant

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ShadowROne said:
You may want to try a screw extractor first but you have to be carefull not to snap that in there too and use plenty of penetrant
I'm afraid an extractor won't get me enough "umph" or as you mentioned, it maight snap. That's why I was thinking heat might be a more effective approach.

·
Registered
329 Posts
fraz said:
I'm afraid an extractor won't get me enough "umph" or as you mentioned, it maight snap. That's why I was thinking heat might be a more effective approach.
True...if not then you may be able to get something welded to the end of the screw and then working it out of there...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ShadowROne said:
True...if not then you may be able to get something welded to the end of the screw and then working it out of there...
Another good thought. A friend suggested that and I have a MIG welder but it's kind of crappy. I was thinking of welding an extra 3/8" socket extension on. Cheaper than a new swingarm:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would try a left handed drill bit. Start small and work up in size. Once you drill it out it'll take a lot of the tension off of it and it'll be a lot easier to get out with an extractor. A lot of times it'll spin right out with the drill bit.

·
comrade moderator
26,988 Posts
I had a CR250 Honda with a stuck and broken steel chain adjuster bolt in an aluminum swingarm. Heat did the trick.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Aluminum and steel.

Aluminum and steel react to each other, it's called galvanic corrosion. Far worse in salt environment, ( I work in the marine trade)but will happen in any corrosive spot, Rear swingarm being ripe. Far worse with Stainless and aluminum , but does happen with any alloyed steel. This is a constant problem with us. Aluminum expands with heat much more than steel, heat with torch ( careful not enough to affect temper, won't take much) and it should back right out. This is what we do, and it works 90% of the time. We use a product called tef-gel to keep this from happening. Careful with drilling as the drill bit wants to wander to the soft aluminum.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sounds like the old aluminum siezed to steel routine.
Firstly soak the screw with penetrating oil. Try to turn it back in a bit. Tap the end of the bolt with a hammer to help "move" some of the damaged threaded area that may be galled. More P oil. If it turns a bit, just keep working it back and forth, more P oil to help flush out rust etc.

If you can get it moving, more P oil to flush out crud and slowly you'll het it to the point that it frees up.

Is the bolt accessible from the other end? Can you clean the bolt threads that will be rotating into the threaded area of the swing arm?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OldFart said:
Sounds like the old aluminum siezed to steel routine.
Firstly soak the screw with penetrating oil. Try to turn it back in a bit. Tap the end of the bolt with a hammer to help "move" some of the damaged threaded area that may be galled. More P oil. If it turns a bit, just keep working it back and forth, more P oil to help flush out rust etc.

If you can get it moving, more P oil to flush out crud and slowly you'll het it to the point that it frees up.

Is the bolt accessible from the other end? Can you clean the bolt threads that will be rotating into the threaded area of the swing arm?
No go so far. The threads are fully siezed in the swingarm and I cannot get a good enough grab with Vice Grips. If I get enough grab on the stud, the Vice Grips are too bulky and don't allow any rotation in the recess of the where the adjuster slides. It's hard to explain but this is a blind hole and I guess the screw rusted on the back side. My gut feeling is it needs to be screwed IN a tick so I can get lube/penetrant in the threads. Right now it feels solid as can be.

I don't know what is up with the vBulletin software but I can't add an attachment no matter what browser I use. I have tried a bunch of times and a bunch of ways and it doesn't work. I uploaded a pic to our website though here:

http://www.santacruz-rc.com/ebay/2175.jpg

Now to the important part. What is the easiest fastest way to pull the swingarm off the bike? Is the shock loaded? Steps? If I can take the swingarm down to my friend's machine shop he can do it easy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nobody?

I got a good solution from my machinist friend but I need to take the swingarm off the bike. We're going to braze a nut on the stud and that should do the trick.

I was thinking of suspending my bike with jackstands under the foot pegs. All I need to know is the shock loaded at that point or should it come apart smoothly?

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you raise the bike far enough that the rear wheel is off the ground, the shock should be unloaded. You may want to put a bit of pressure under the tire with a shim or something when it's time to remove the bolts so there's not as much lateral resistance on the bolts.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Got the swingarm off and the stud is being a beotch. There is a crack elsewhere in the swingarm too, may need a new one:(

J

·
0 Posts
Could be a silver lining in the cloud. Better to find out now than on the road.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jim_Upchurch said:
Could be a silver lining in the cloud. Better to find out now than on the road.
Yeah, I agree. The bummer is I need a swingarm and don't know where to find one. And here's the key... right now! That is why you'll see that I posted everywhere asking for one. Any leads would be great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts