Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am trying to figure out what happend to my bike since I haven't been riding it much. the bike ran great until the following happend. So here's the scoop, I went to go for a ride on Sunday. Bike started up fine with no issues. I let it warm up to about 150-60 or so and then off I went. Once I got out of the neighborhood I proceeded to open the throttle up and it reved fine to about 6-7k rpm and it just bogged and would not accelerate past that range. So I turned around and came home. I noticed that it would rev to higher rpm's when it was not in gear and the symptoms occurred under a load in all gears. There are no symptoms below that RPM. I did not have time to start pulling it apart until later today and tonight. As I try and retrace my steps the only I did was put some fresh gas into the tank before I left the driveway b/c it was about empty.

I am going to start by checking connectors, relays, maybe drain the gas etc... As usual any info is helpful.

Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I would bet it's the fuel filter: take a trip to NAPA with a 5 dollar bill and get back riding... :D:D

One if these fellas: NAPA AUTO PARTS
I was going to say the same thing fuel filter. I had the issue with 748 996 I keep a couple of spares all the time. Once you pull it out you'll need new o-ring

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would bet it's the fuel filter: take a trip to NAPA with a 5 dollar bill and get back riding... :D:D

One if these fellas: NAPA AUTO PARTS
I just replaced the fuel filter with one from NAPA and it doesn't even have 75 miles on it. Do they clog that easily? Could it be the fuel pump? I will drain the tank and check all the lines on the inside.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I was going to say the same thing fuel filter. I had the issue with 748 996 I keep a couple of spares all the time. Once you pull it out you'll need new o-ring
Since you brought up the o-ring, here's a reminder. They are all available at McMaster-Carr for a fraction of the price. Make sure you buy Viton

For the 748, 916,996,998, ST2, ST3, ST3S, ST4, ST4S are dash no 237: 3 5/8" x 3 3/8" x 1/8"
Viton p/n 9464K237
Mil Spec Viton p/n 1201T869

For the 999 749 they are dash no 248: 5" x 4-3/4" x 1/8"
Viton p/n 9464K126
Mil Spec Viton p/n 1201T88

PS: Mil Spec gives extra bragging rights...

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
I just replaced the fuel filter with one from NAPA and it doesn't even have 75 miles on it. Do they clog that easily? Could it be the fuel pump? I will drain the tank and check all the lines on the inside.
If that's the case check the connections in/out of the fuel pump to be certain they are good and tight... check the other hoses for visible signs of cracking etc. and make sure the fittings are good and tight...

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
My money is on a split line.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to give my fuel system a once over tonight.
I am going to go by NAPA and pick up some fuel hose and replace the stiff ones that are in the tank already.

·
Registered
344 Posts
while your in there, you can also put the filter on the outside of the tank fairly easy... follow the fuel line it is on within the tank and put it on the same line on the outside. on mine i believe it was the black fuel disconnect line. can be put down where the EPA canister/scrubber? bs was

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone thanks for the help on this one. I pulled the fuel pump out of the tank and there it was. The 2" fuel line that connects the housing to the fuel filter literally fell apart in my hands. So while I was at it replacing fuel lines I did the breather lines as well. I slapped it all back together and just went for a ride. Everything is back to normal!
Now I can move on to getting this thing tuned.

I do have to wonder why this causes the bike not to want to rev??
Thanks again!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Damn i love this community! =)

Glad you got it fixed. I have no idea whats going on, but there have been a ton of 996 posts about issues happening. Guess they are just getting that old now. (mine included, i've had a bunch of different posts on one thing after another happening to her!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts