Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around 7 months ago I got this bike from my uncle, which is also a Ducati owner, for free...

Its a Monster 795, but its modified to look like a 796 (Single-sided swingarm, lower bars, 180 rear wheels)

theres alot of parts in this bike that is taken from another Ducati bike, so if you spot something then let me know :wink2:

other than a broken speedo (which i desperately need a replacement with a budget) and a broken rear lamp front brake sensor, the bike is working fine (other than an oil leak)

I hope to learn alot here and one day I could maintain my bike without needing a mechanic :nerd:

Attachments

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,376 Posts
That's a nice Uncle you have. The bike looks to be in good shape after going down on the right side.

Are those the original forks? They might be an upgrade also. I don't recall if those Monsters came with radial brakes. Someone with better knowledge will have to chime in.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The speedometer is electronic and is part of the dash unit, so you can't replace it... at least not cheaply. The dash and ECU are "mated", so your only options are to purchase a "virginized" or brand-new dash unit, or buy a new dash/ECU pair from Ducati (or from another identical bike). The keys are also mated to the ECU/dash combo, all designed to make it less unappealing to steal these bikes and part them out. The speedo gets a signal from a sensor mounted on the rear swingarm on the rear brake caliper mounting bracket that detects the passage of a small magnet mounted on a part of the rear wheel/brake disk assembly that rotates. It's rare that the electronic portion of the speedo in the dash stops working... what are the symptoms? Does it display 0 km/hr all the time, is it blank? If it displays "0" then I'd have a good look at the sensor and wiring, if the swingarm was replaced maybe the mounting holes didn't line up and your uncle (or whoever modded the bike) decided to just not bother installing the sensor at all. If you really need a speedo you can always get a phone mount and find a GPS app that will display your speed.

11.4V is too low, charge your battery!

Radial brakes were stock on the 795.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You owe ur uncle BIG TIME.

When he gets older, alzheirmers kicks in, etc... take him to a nudy bar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The speedometer is electronic and is part of the dash unit, so you can't replace it... at least not cheaply. The dash and ECU are "mated", so your only options are to purchase a "virginized" or brand-new dash unit, or buy a new dash/ECU pair from Ducati (or from another identical bike). The keys are also mated to the ECU/dash combo, all designed to make it less unappealing to steal these bikes and part them out. The speedo gets a signal from a sensor mounted on the rear swingarm on the rear brake caliper mounting bracket that detects the passage of a small magnet mounted on a part of the rear wheel/brake disk assembly that rotates. It's rare that the electronic portion of the speedo in the dash stops working... what are the symptoms? Does it display 0 km/hr all the time, is it blank? If it displays "0" then I'd have a good look at the sensor and wiring, if the swingarm was replaced maybe the mounting holes didn't line up and your uncle (or whoever modded the bike) decided to just not bother installing the sensor at all. If you really need a speedo you can always get a phone mount and find a GPS app that will display your speed.

11.4V is too low, charge your battery!

Radial brakes were stock on the 795.
That's a nice Uncle you have. The bike looks to be in good shape after going down on the right side.

Are those the original forks? They might be an upgrade also. I don't recall if those Monsters came with radial brakes. Someone with better knowledge will have to chime in.
Front brake is from a 999R for sure, which is pretty much nonexistent here :laugh:

Speedo is blanked out, the past owner crashed lowside during trackday so yeah its pretty much totaled

I checked the sensor on the front brake lever, I forgot what its called that connects it to the brake lamp on the rear, its broken so I need a replacement also. The rear brake light works

A phone mount is a BAD IDEA here, thieves and burglars are rampant. They could just take it away from you at stoplights, and they came with scooters ! Third-world country problems :frown2:

11.4V is not enough? Its about 12.9-13.1V when it starts though, still needs charge?

You owe ur uncle BIG TIME.

When he gets older, alzheirmers kicks in, etc... take him to a nudy bar.
I DO owe him big time, I would do that, for sure

·
10,376 Posts
A phone mount is a BAD IDEA here, thieves and burglars are rampant. They could just take it away from you at stoplights, and they came with scooters ! Third-world country problems :frown2:
You can use an inexpensive bicycle computer to show speed. I doubt anyone would even see it on there. I used to use one on an old Honda. You install it normally, but purchase a small rare-earth magnet to use in place of the one the computer comes with. I epoxied the magnet to the rotor carrier so the pickup would line up with it. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
11.4V is not enough? Its about 12.9-13.1V when it starts though, still needs charge?
A fully charged battery should read 12.6VDC. Your battery is definitely not fully charged, this may be due to it sitting for a long period, or lots of very short trips at low RPM's (lots of starting, not much charging) or maybe it's old and getting ready to die. You should never see it below 12V except when the starter is actually cranking. The charge voltage will vary with RPMs, 13V is okay at idle but it should go up to above 14V (maximum of 14.4V) above 4000 rpms-ish. I would throw a charger on it overnight and see if the voltage comes up. Wait an hour or so after you disconnect the charger to read the voltage for an accurate reading.

As you live in a tropical climate, you don't need a terribly strong battery to start the bike. Where I live, 11.4V probably wouldn't start my multistrada in the autumn when the temps start to drop. YMMV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can use an inexpensive bicycle computer to show speed. I doubt anyone would even see it on there. I used to use one on an old Honda. You install it normally, but purchase a small rare-earth magnet to use in place of the one the computer comes with. I epoxied the magnet to the rotor carrier so the pickup would line up with it. Problem solved.
I dont mind people, I just want it to work :laugh:

Anything on ebay for that?

A fully charged battery should read 12.6VDC. Your battery is definitely not fully charged, this may be due to it sitting for a long period, or lots of very short trips at low RPM's (lots of starting, not much charging) or maybe it's old and getting ready to die. You should never see it below 12V except when the starter is actually cranking. The charge voltage will vary with RPMs, 13V is okay at idle but it should go up to above 14V (maximum of 14.4V) above 4000 rpms-ish. I would throw a charger on it overnight and see if the voltage comes up. Wait an hour or so after you disconnect the charger to read the voltage for an accurate reading.

As you live in a tropical climate, you don't need a terribly strong battery to start the bike. Where I live, 11.4V probably wouldn't start my multistrada in the autumn when the temps start to drop. YMMV.
Im using a voltmeter. The dashboard of the bike is totaled. If its in the Dashboard it would probably add another +2V. I guess that would make the bike 12 V ish. The voltmeter is hooked up on the front lamp. The front lamp itself takes -2V so I guess its okay.

·
10,376 Posts
I dont mind people, I just want it to work :laugh:

Anything on ebay for that?
Plenty.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...c=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=bicycle+computer+wireless

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...e+computer+wireless+waterproof&LH_TitleDesc=0

The size magnet you need will depend on how close to each other you can mount the magnet and pickup. Oh, and make sure you can manually enter the tire circumference into the computer (I think they all do, but just in case).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts