Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will share my case briefly, I believe I am experiencing a an issue that would drive anybody mad at this point. And I haven't ridden all year. I've swapped batteries, harness, reg/rec, switches, solenoids, relays, and sensors for various reasons but still the same result. No start. I do have a couple error codes though. Firstly it started off with a pick up sensor error 34.0 which is still currently showing and has progressed into a few more. I think they are: press. 2.1, T.oil 3.1, air 4.1, and pkup 34.0 The pkup error has been since the start of my issue and the other 3 codes started when I swapped the wiring harness. Mostly I get voltage drop of 7 volts on the solenoid to starter post, but still get 7 volts at the starter post. 3.5v come from the B/BK wire which I believe goes straight to the ECU pin number one and I don't think I'm supposed to have 3 1/2 V. The R/BK always has with my battery is charged at say 12 1/2 to 13 V. And then the two other red wires are the same reading as battery voltage.

Sometimes it will turn the engine a revolution but at a snails pace. Most of the time the bikes electric start tries 5-10 sec. clicks again and restarts everything (lights and dash goo off then on and fuel pump primes again, and stepper motor activiates, albeit a few times it will not restart the whole bike but solenoid still remains engaged for 5-10 seconds. Good luck! Thank you for sharing your experiences so far. Sometimes if I wiggle the connector from the pick up sensor to the harness it will kick on the fuel pump and maybe Pkup error goes away.

I tried swapping a different ECU I have an old nemesis ECU but its giving me a CAN error 38, this could be a result that I can't quite get windows XP to connect with the nemesis ECU. Or I'm just not supposed to use parallels as a virtual OS from my Mac OS? Still trying to download the correct drivers and what not. I'm gonna try hook the OEM ECU to JPDiag and see what I can do from there, if anything.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel though it's got my ass beat good. Last ditch effort I'm thinking is possibly the ECU or the dash considering I've had multiple codes and I've replaced all of the such with no different result if anything gets worse. I don't know whether I should try for a regular ECU or point fingers at the dash? Who knows if those are the reason causing this anyway? I'm open to all suggestions and ideas at this point, I would appreciate your experience and skills to help salvage what's left of the summer season. 😂

Had to throw in a photo just to get your attention, sorry for the Clickbait ;)

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
First knowing what bike your working on helps….I’m guessing you have a bad ground somewhere in there. Could be bad connections but sounds like bad ground which the ECU sees as low voltage. That will many times lead to reporting sensor errors that really do not exist…it’s just seeing readings out normal parameters and calls error…but the sensors are not bad, just the ground. IMO you need a thorough systematic approach. Start at the battery and work your way through every connector and every ground checking all the pins. that they’re not loose and sliding back when connected. I would bet it’s a simple as this, although infuriatingly difficult to find.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Year & model is needed---you could be working on a Puch for all we know

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
08 tard 1100

I think I may found my issue as I get 1.5m ohms from pin 10 and OL from pin 38

seems like it adds up... answers one question I think, bad ecu. But why get the 3.5 volts from B/BK from ecu that wire doesn't seem to connected to the coils? Not that it matters to much because its fried from the coils.

I've also noticed the B/BK will change. if I put my black dvom lead to it and probe with the red to W/R from the brake light switches I get -3.5 other circuits I mostly get 0 or -7.5-9 volts. Puzzling because the B/BK was supposed to a ground.

Dont mind the colors too much... But I'm referring to the B/BK that goes to the solenoid

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
First knowing what bike your working on helps….I’m guessing you have a bad ground somewhere in there. Could be bad connections but sounds like bad ground which the ECU sees as low voltage. That will many times lead to reporting sensor errors that really do not exist…it’s just seeing readings out normal parameters and calls error…but the sensors are not bad, just the ground. IMO you need a thorough systematic approach. Start at the battery and work your way through every connector and every ground checking all the pins. that they’re not loose and sliding back when connected. I would bet it’s a simple as this, although infuriatingly difficult to find.
I've changed looms and no change. In addition, all wires regarding battery, solenoid, starter, and main ground wires are all new, even the spark plugs and wires for them. Nice and shiny ground locations to boot.

I've through it a few times now. I've noticed I still get up 10 Mv when the bike is turned of from B/BK wire. That suppose to doing that?

How could I rig up ginny pig system to let the ecu recognize B/BK is grounding a solenoid and R/BK is providing power. and then just the remaining to reds to the battery with a fuse in between battery and load device. At the same time correctly powering the solenoid from a completely different source... Does that make sense? If possible?

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
In theory, yes you could add a separate switch and trigger the solenoid. But you still have to fool the ECU which “sees” a problem and therefore does not engage the starter.

Reactions: Treeluvr

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In theory, yes you could add a separate switch and trigger the solenoid. But you still have to fool the ECU which “sees” a problem and therefore does not engage the starter.
Sounds like it could be a fun science experiment 🤙

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ha, I was just wondering that my wiring diagram is kinda shitty. Much appreciated!

At this point, I would get an IAW5 and see what happens; most of them can be swapped around. I have one from a Hyper in my ST3/SS Engine and it works just fine after I replaced the map with TuneECU.

Yes, I see funny voltages all around.

Reactions: Treeluvr
1 - 14 of 14 Posts