Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm crushed. :( In a shoot out between the Sport 1000 and the Harley XR1200, Cycle World picked the Harley. :confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cycle World is awful and has been for a long while. The only American mag to read about motorcycles is motor cyclist and that in comparison pales to the euro trash mags. hah. Americans in general just dont appreciate form and function.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The XR1200 is a pretty nice bike, considering it's the only HD that can corner. I've road one and it is very enjoyable. VERY torquey (74 lbs), but also very heavy (580 lbs). Vibes were not that bad either. Price is 10k for black, which is cheaper than any SC new. I think if they gave it more of the flat track stripped down function and lost about 50 lbs (like most of us) it'd be pretty interesting. http://www.mecatwin.com/en/accessoires/hd/index.htm
I just do not care for the look of it so much, it seems a little confused between a REAL XR and a V-Rod. But the handling is not as bad as you might think.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Relax Grasshopper,

You don’t need a magazine to tell you what to like, go ride your bike and be happy. Think how the poor superbike guys feel, every year the magazines claim there is something better & faster.

I am glad my Sportclassic will be cool no matter what comes out.

Remember: wax-on / wax-off
Lee C.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
You don’t need a magazine to tell you what to like, go ride your bike and be happy. Think how the poor superbike guys feel, every year the magazines claim there is something better & faster.

I am glad my Sportclassic will be cool no matter what comes out.

Remember: wax-on / wax-off
Lee C.

Good choice of helmet! :D

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I just rode a XR1200 today.

It's an agricultural engine, nowhere near as quick as the Duc, and way heavier.
It wasn't bad but I wouldn't call it a sport bike.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I just rode a XR1200 today.

It's an agricultural engine, nowhere near as quick as the Duc, and way heavier.
It wasn't bad but I wouldn't call it a sport bike.
They took the money from the dentists and brokers and bought Buell and MV Augusta… enough said!

Harleys are for posing, not performing!

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
please stop the bull shitting

i can stand this harley bashing, as i got to read it
all the time on the jap bike performance forum i
also attend.
these people have just got no clue, and have pos-
sibly never seen any performance harley davidson.

anyway, i you compare a stock GT1000 with lets
say a Supersport 1000 DS, the GT handles, feels,
brakes and therewith performs like crap.

that said, put a comparable amount of work into
that harley davidson sportster, and you will end up
with a nice performance bike of course.
tweak the engine seriously and it will eat the damn
sport classic alive. :cool:

nice picture from a current italian sportster trophy,
check the chassis, rear shock mounts have been
considerably lowered with adapters, longer Öhlins
shocks to boot, and that thing will corner quite well.

they already made performance harleys when
the italians weren't even dreaming of radios.

:cool:

link to the italian page with pics and infos:

http://www.thelegendontour.com/wcm/hd/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=32

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I read the report and thought it was quite fair. They spoke both of the Sport's genuine strengths - particularly its handling - and also of its weaknesses - the same ones we carp about - stiff suspension and hard on the wrists riding position.

My own take is that both the new H-D and the Sport are very desirable vehicles that give up some of the advantages of fully modern designs but give back far more in terms of pleasure of ownership.

The GT1000 was mentioned in the sidebar as a variant of the Sport without the tough on the body riding position, but, alas, not mentioned in the body of the article.

Personally I admit my GT's limitations: Less than great suspension, heavy, tubed, wheel/tires. Relatively low performance for a 1 liter sporty bike. Over priced. Some cheesy componentry. etc. (Shall I go on?) But none of this takes away its pure pleasure potential when I'm out riding a favorite road.

I commute in a 2009 Nissan Versa SL - the one with the CRT - and it has NO serious flaws for its intended purpose. When someone at the dealership asked me what I thought of it (She drives one and loves it) I answered "It is absolutely perfect. And absolutely boring."

I'd never say either of those things about my GT1000. :D

-don

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cycle World is awful and has been for a long while. The only American mag to read about motorcycles is motor cyclist and that in comparison pales to the euro trash mags. hah. Americans in general just dont appreciate form and function.

Agree completely. I stopped subscribing to Cycle World years ago, when it started playing heavily to the squids, stunters, choppers, customs, etc. I think it was about the time I got my fifth or sixth straight issue in a row that had a Gixxer on the front . . . Motorcyclist is OK, Rider is OK but pretty superficial and geared toward the "touring cruiser" crowd.

My favorite bike mags are mostly from the other side of the pond now -- Classic Bike and Classic Motorcycle Mechanics, from the UK, are great and appreciate "form and function". We have one American contender, Motorcycle Classics, which is really good also but is only published every other month, so far.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey Muschi

Hey Muschi,
"they already made performance harleys when
the italians weren't even dreaming of radios."

The trouble is they haven't changed since then, apart from maybe the XR1200 and the V Rod but like most americans it is a tad overweight, don't you think?

Europeans seem to think that 'Hardly Doanythings' as they are nicknamed are for people with no knowledge of motorcycles. HD is having a hard time breaking through that barrier. This probably influenced the purchase of MV.

I personally think that it is a lifestyle choice and each to their own.

The tassles would get on my nerves though.

Regards Nick

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
The XR1200 is a great bike. A friend of mine has one, and she can probably outride 99% of you naysayers (if not 100%). Yes, the bike may be heavy, but seeing how she probably weighs at least 100lbs less than most of you, the weight advantage of the Ducati is nil.

Tom

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
rock and roll will never die

I personally think that it is a lifestyle choice and each to their own.
i grew up with harley davidsons, flathead, panhead,
rigid blockhead, now with the ducati,
the lifestyle hasn't changed at all, bike looks
and feels pretty much the same, had the first
test ride this afternoon, i am very satisfied now.

The tassles would get on my nerves though.
no tassles for me of course. :cool:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
1)A friend of mine has one, and she can probably outride 99% of you naysayers (if not 100%). 2) Yes, the bike may be heavy, but seeing how she probably weighs at least 100lbs less than most of you,3) the weight advantage of the Ducati is nil.

Tom
1) Pretty cheeky, considering you don't know "us" at all. There's a LOT of combined skill that peeks in on this forum.

2) Again, pretty cheeky, given you know NOTHING about what I or most of the other members here weigh.

3) Weight advantages are never nil, your friend would likely go faster on a Ducati that weighs less than her Harley. And that's the point.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts

Here's my problem with Harley: if they marketed the bike in the photo, as an "S" or "Factory" limited edition, me and a lot of other people would line up to try one out, with an open mind. Heck, I bet a lot of us would order them just to try something different and new and have an American performance bike (what the Sportster was when it was first introduced in the late '50s). Throw some lights and turn signals on the bike in the photo, and I'm there.

Instead, they pawn off half-finished crap, expecting us to buy into the whole chrome and tassles image. The dealers I have visited do not know how to market the Buells or the V-Rods, and frankly they have no desire to learn. This is what killed the Street Rod in the US after only one year.

The bike in the picture is a performance motorcycle; the bike they sell is a marketing gimick designed to move older Sportster engines out of the factory.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The XR1200 is a great bike. A friend of mine has one, and she can probably outride 99% of you naysayers (if not 100%). Yes, the bike may be heavy, but seeing how she probably weighs at least 100lbs less than most of you, the weight advantage of the Ducati is nil.

Tom
Wow Tom, you really know how to make friends. You don't know us or what we ride or how we ride but you made that assumption based on smoke dude. Ease back a little man... I know I am kicking myself on the ass by wasting my time replying to your statement, but hey... I don't mind.

Tell your friend I said hi! Is she cute?:D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Credit Crunch Xenophobia

It seems that the conspiracy theory gremlins have invaded my brain, let's see an American Motorcycle Magazine testing an American Motorcycle against a foreign import - isn't everyone in their own countries being told to 'buy American' 'buy British' etc etc.

Our own magazines in the UK seem to blow Triumphs trumpet very loudly and I'm not sure whether we all suffer from xenophobia or what? Both my son's own Triumphs and of course I had to test them throughly and give fatherly approval for the genuinely good Street Triple and the genuinely quirky but still very lovable Thruxton (it has shit front suspension but still rides the bumps better than my SC1000!).

They didn't want Ducati's because of a perceived conception that our bikes cost a lot to maintain and service even though I have not had to spend anything outside service items.

Our magazines did say they liked the XR and it's ride but then again Superbike magazine reckons the SC1000 S has very smooth suspension that soaks up most of the bumps - they must have riding it on a very large billiard table

I have concluded that it is all a matter of perception and in order to break that, we must have an open mind and test ride these bikes to formulate our own opinions - if you like it great, if you don't, well so will others.

Regards Nick

1 - 20 of 40 Posts