Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this Sport Classic for a long time, I think since 2008. I bought it from the original owner who was too uncomfortable on it to put on many miles. I had just bought a 2008 GT and figured 2 Sport Classics are better than one, Right? The GT was my commuter and this one was for the canyons while my never ending project bike was still a long way from completion. (Still not done btw)
It was originally the yellow and black version completely stock.

The first mods were of course to get rid of those tires and add an exhaust.

This is where it started with my first mods

This is how it ended up and has been like this for many years now

Body -
Custom frame paint (Candy Turquoise)
999 cast wheels custom semi matte black powder all new bearings and cush drives
999 4p calipers
Spiegel lines
999 radial master cylinders
Wasp TMSD
Brembo HP full floating rotors re-anodized black
Wasp tail chop (Updated) Corse Dynamics FLEDA with the plate bracket chopped and the plate moved to the battery mounts under the tail (cut off the ugly left over battery mount tubes)
Mosfet Regulator relocated under the tail on a custom bracket
Li-Po battery under seat
Hi Capacity battery wires (made myself)
Caswell sealed tank (perfect condition)
Gauge lowering brackets
Rizoma mirrors
Semi Black painted headlight mount
Arrow full system (Sold the Termi 2-1)

Engine-
1080cc Ducshop bored cylinders
98mm Pistol Pistons 11.5:1
Carrillo Rods
Lightened Stage 3 crank from Ben Fox
Alloy Flywheel
2mm bigger intake and 1mm bigger exhaust valves
Porting and headwork done by CR Axtell
Ported Intake runners
48mm bored Throttle bodies
DP cams
My own designed and machined intake horns
Alloy Belt pulleys
EVR Slipper clutch
Microtec ECU and dual Lambda controller.
104hp 72ft-lbs torque

This is my new plan since I'm Bored and feel like working on it again
1) New Exhaust
2.) New Paint (yes still going to be Black)
3.) New Tail
4.) New Seat
5.) Whatever else I can come up with to make it fresh and up to date and meaner looking

I figured why not do a new thread and get some help on what changes to make
I'm looking for suggestions, any comments or criticism are welcome. I'll try to update with pics and descriptions as I go

Thanks for the help
Jeff aka EightfortyEight

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd recommend a new front wheel fender. I always thought the stock one was a bit quaint. It could give the bike a more aggressive look.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
506 Posts
What a beast of an engine you’ve built!

I have always preferred the monster with regards to naked looks, so my only input would be to add lightness wherever you can, especially in the seemingly most trivial of places. If you save a gram in 100 places, you’ve got yourself almost 1/4 lbs.

I’m very partial to light bikes though, they’re just so much more of a “one with the bike” experience.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great to see ya back at it! As soon as I saw that you posted, I Knew something cool was coming. Your patience, knowledge and meticulous work is always super impressive to follow. I can't wait to see what comes next. Maybe you can revive GTRossi for some ideas on the exhaust?

For those of you that don't know EightfortyEight, here is a thread on the build:

Cheers,
Mike

Reactions: egomexico

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had this tail unit for a long time and always wanted to use it.

DUCATI SPORT CLASSIC PAUL SMART, GT, 1000S, BIPOSTO RACE FAIRING, FAIRINGS, BODYWORK, FRONT, FENDER, REAR, HUGGER, TAIL, SEAT, TANK, WINDSCREEN, COWL, LOWER, UPPER, SUPERMONO, TWIN, BEVELHEAD, DESMO, THUNDERDUC

However, it is a race tail and I just don't want to add a sticky pad for a seat as this is a street bike. So Ill need to fit it, and I have an idea to use a 848 Superbike seat on it. Ill need to make a seat pan, but that wont be too difficult to do, then Ill either use the seat foam from a spare 848 seat and get it re-covered, or I have a Ducati Performance 848 neoprene seat that I think will look good. It use to be nice and comfortable on my 848 when I had it.

Anyone have good luck with someone who can cover a custom seat and make it look professional and factory like? I don't want any crazy ostrich leather.

·
Registered
Ducati Sport Classic 1000 Biposto
10 Posts
Corinna at via-meccanica Does great work, have several friends who have used her in the past.
Just stumbled across your other sc1000 thread, mind blowing stuff. Best of luck!

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
506 Posts
I would suggest a panigale seat as they’re significantly more tapered, so cutting one to for the lines would, in my mind, be an easier endeavor.

im still drooling over that engine

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links to the custom seat sources. That's a big help. I'm working on the mold for the seat pan today. I plan on making a nice carbon pan that fits hopefully well. I'm hoping to have a little more personal time to have some fun with my bikes again. So far so good.

Cover your eyes if you are bashful, she is naked now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Heres a link for some inspiration.. Theres even a few sport customized sport classics.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got some work on tail and seat pan. I did some trimming and re-shaping of the lower edge. I think it fits better with the lines of the bike

I also finished the quick mold for the carbon seat pan. I basically took and old DP 848 Neoprene seat and pulled it off the plastic 848 seat pan.

I forgot to take pictures of the plug, but what I did cut all the 3D contours from the plastic pan, heated it up and formed it the shape of the new seat pan. I then hot glued it down to the tail unit, and waxed and bondoed the area smooth like a flat pan. I then carved out the underside of the Neoprene padding until it was flat. Now once the new seat pan is molded, I will just glue this pad back down to it, and it will bold down cleanly with 4 screws.

This is the saddle pad carved out with a Dynafile.

This is the plastic seat pan. I cut out those pockets so it will lay flat to the new tail.

Once the plug was made, I released it and made a quick 8 layer polyester mold of it.

This is the inside of the tool right after pulling out and apart the plug

This is the back of the tool, sloppy fiberglass matt works quite well for being cheap and able to make a few parts from

This is the mold after pulling the first part. It looks just fine, nothing stuck and the part popped right out

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anybody else do carbon work? Resin Infusion is a good way to get nice parts quick with minimum investment in tooling. Unlike wet lay-up that is very hard to get no bubbles on the laminate without an autoclave.

The carbon is laid down dry, and a vacuum bag pulls all the air out. Then you open the valve and let resin get sucked in under vacuum. They will come out perfect if you do it all correct

After trimming and sanding I have a cool looking carbon pan that nobody will ever see

I'm Making a second one out of 3k for the seat I'm going to send out to get covered

1 - 13 of 13 Posts