Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using these (7614 or 7610) shocks on their GT? How do you like them? Also, are you using Ikon spirngs up front?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Springs on a GT

Hi John,

My friend has just traded her 2009GT in on a 1100S Monster.

She had a pair of Wilbers made especially for her....she is about 5' 6" and weighs about 70kgs.....so the springs lower the bike a little and were spec'd at manufacture for sporty performance....she sold the GT because it was not quick enough....she is over 50 and leaves most riders ( including self)....feeling a bit slow.

She want's me to sell them for her....and I will have them within a week ( the dealer had to swap them for the stock units. She paid about $1500 Kangaroo dollars new a few months ago.....so if you're interested PM me.

Note her height and weight.....so they will only suit someone wanting excellent performance with similar weight.....don't think it matters if your male or female...:D

Cheers Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
roggt1000 - Please tell me about that stand. Those lifts like that are common and cheap here but I have never seen those black hoops bolted to the engine.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Hi Brooksie, I don't think 7610 Ikons will fit because the springs are too near the bottom of the shocks, giving clearance problems. I emailed Ikon in Australia twice asking for information on this, but they could not be bothered to reply, so I bought YSS instead.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Brooksie, I don't think 7610 Ikons will fit because the springs are too near the bottom of the shocks, giving clearance problems. I emailed Ikon in Australia twice asking for information on this, but they could not be bothered to reply, so I bought YSS instead.
Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also, the Icons are the old Koni design. They were a premium shock 3-4 decades ago, but pretty primitive by today's standards.
Anybody using these (7614 or 7610) shocks on their GT? How do you like them? Also, are you using Ikon spirngs up front?
Aghhh!! I have them on my GT they are great, pleasant people to deal with as well they custom colored mine no hassle, as Major says they are fairly basic but, very well made and I am not Agostini,,, Although my "chicken strips are about 1/4 inch" from road use, QUALITY, BUILD ,PRICE, LOOK, 10/10
Now If I can get a single shock swingarm off a SC for my GT I will sell my Icons as I need the Monoposto type swingarm as I have some Zards Yhan I will have to go through the shock thing again

Attachments

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The 7614s are a new design arent they?
Mmmm, no, but kinda yes.

They are Koni's old design internally, but the body has been changed to aluminum, and the spring pre-load is threaded. So they are an improvement, and a more modern design on the outside, but they are 7610's on the inside.

A better lighter shock, but not current. I love the Ikons on period bikes, but they are not Ohlins, Works, Wilburs, or YSS, at least nothing like their top of the line.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Major's observations are, as usual, accurate. Yet I was reminded on Saturday of how awful the stock shocks on my GT in comparison to my vintage '74 Suzuki GT550 that wears some N.O.S. Boge/Mulholland shocks with progressive springs. We have an annual two-stroke run here in Portland, which I was participating in on Sat. (What a stinky blast!):eek:

I am always shocked at how far we've come since the "old days", I rarely run the old girl any more. But I really was pleasantly suprised at how compliant, comfortable, and controlled the rear end was with my vintage aftermarket shocks. Ikon may not be the latest and greatest, but they don't charge the premium prices and I suspect they'd be a big improvement from stock.

·
Registered
238 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts