Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to relocate the ignition on my Sport to a location on the side of the bike. Specifically, the left side. See photo below:

My main concerns are the anti-theft system, and heat issues from the engine.

Thoughts/concerns/suggestions/ideas/critisizms/blatent hate posts welcome. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't think it'd be too difficult, but you might have to fabricate a mount/enclosure for the switch gear, since the frame isn't the same diameter as the bars.

But I'm curious why you'd want to?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
there is a small ring antenna inside the plastic cover for the ignition switch - you'll need to make sure that sits in the same relationship to the key or it won't work. probably the easiest way to do that is re-use the ignition switch and cover on a fabricated mount. not sure if you'll have enough length in the wire loom to reach your desired location without some surgery, but i say go for it!

i never liked the key location on all the sport classics except the 1000s and ps because it puts a cutout in the tank and you can't run any kind of a key fob (or have extra keys on your ring) without it damaging the tank paint. so i can't just keep my bike key on my ring, it has to be all by itself and "special"... which pretty much means i lose it all the time. :eek:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
i never liked the key location on all the sport classics except the 1000s and ps because it puts a cutout in the tank and you can't run any kind of a key fob (or have extra keys on your ring) without it damaging the tank paint. so i can't just keep my bike key on my ring, it has to be all by itself and "special"... which pretty much means i lose it all the time. :eek:
Here's my key fob…;)

It does not scratch the paint and i can attach it to my carabiner

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
what's next? fishtail mufflers, sissybar, and ape hangers?:eek:
70's era honda cb's didn't have sissy... Oh! I see what you're getting at. Should I move the key on my cafe cb750? Or just get a beer gut with the addition of the above mods?

I like it. Move that key sir!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some investigation, and I'm not sure how to get the ignition disconnected from the bike. I took the cover off, but it seems like the whole assembly is pressed down onto the frame. I saw no other screws or bolts holding it on either.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have you considered the neck lock? You will be sacrificing that to move your ignition, plus it will be hanging out the back of the ignition cylinder.

You can kinda see here what your trying to pull out.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have considered that. I'm still not sure I want to do this, but I'd like to maybe mock it up, and see how much of a problem it is.

I'm still not sure how to get that ignition off the bike though. I may have to buy the service manual so that I can get more info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts