Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone has the specs for the ignition relay that is located near the fuse box on the st4s? I am chasing a nausance earth fault and this may be the culprit!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
They were made by German firm Siemens who were purchased by electronics giant Tyco who have since become TE

The original relays were Siemens part number V23073. This is discontinued for the V23074 which is 3m taller and wider but includes a resistor across the coil terminals to suppress negative drop out voltage spikes.

Also the original was a make and break circuit know as “form A”. (two terminals for the switching, two for the coil) Most relay companies stop making these now and offer the same relay as change over type known as “form C” (three terminals for switching - a common, a normally open and a normally closed). The duke can live with this new type as the fifth unused terminal socket is in place but just not needed.

So all relays on the ST can be changed for these new types

Old Siemens number V23073
New Tyco/TE Number 5-1393294-8
Form A

Old Siemens number V23074 A1001-A302 OR 402
New Tyco/TE Number 1393292-5
Form A

Old Siemens number V23074 A1001-A303 OR 403
New Tyco/TE Number 8-1393292-4
Form C
RS Components Number 535-2542
V23074A1001A403-SZ-CBOX: 8-1393292-4 : Micro Relay A/VFMA | TE Connectivity

Old Siemens number V23074 A1001-H1005
New Tyco/TE Number 2-1419714-4
Form A (High Current)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were made by German firm Siemens who were purchased by electronics giant Tyco who have since become TE

The original relays were Siemens part number V23073. This is discontinued for the V23074 which is 3m taller and wider but includes a resistor across the coil terminals to suppress negative drop out voltage spikes.

Also the original was a make and break circuit know as “form A”. (two terminals for the switching, two for the coil) Most relay companies stop making these now and offer the same relay as change over type known as “form C” (three terminals for switching - a common, a normally open and a normally closed). The duke can live with this new type as the fifth unused terminal socket is in place but just not needed.

So all relays on the ST can be changed for these new types

Old Siemens number V23073
New Tyco/TE Number 5-1393294-8
Form A

Old Siemens number V23074 A1001-A302 OR 402
New Tyco/TE Number 1393292-5
Form A

Old Siemens number V23074 A1001-A303 OR 403
New Tyco/TE Number 8-1393292-4
Form C
RS Components Number 535-2542
V23074A1001A403-SZ-CBOX: 8-1393292-4 : Micro Relay A/VFMA | TE Connectivity

Old Siemens number V23074 A1001-H1005
New Tyco/TE Number 2-1419714-4
Form A (High Current)
Superb I am now on the hunt for one of these relays!! is there any evidence that they could cause earth like issues with the dash, lights and temp gauge?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Please fill out a signature line with specifics about UR bike - YEAR ST4s.
Big differences from 2003 on down; and 2004 on up. Latter uses CAN bus...

That said, I've had an interesting disturbance with the small read-out panel on my ST4s (2003), and the IMMO light (that blinks when the engine is turned off). So far, I've found the 3A fuse for the Display was loose on one of the fuse's contacts. After tightening the socket, I cannot reproduce the intermittent display issues that I've seen.

But, it seems that it may have upset my ECU for the injection, as I cannot make the bike run any more. I'm "in the middle" of that problem right now...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I replaced all of mine with these updated models. Epoxy sealed to avoid moisture corrosion. So far no probs. I kept the OEs as they were working and good for spares on a trip.

Replacement Relays

FAQs: Guzzi and Ducati Relay FAQ

steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have ordered the ra component listing hopefull they will be here tomorrow!
As I was changing the coolant (only water!)today I thought I would have a look around whilst the fairing was off! The issue I seem to have is when the engine is running the lights are off temp climbs nice and I some times have a intermittent Rev Counter when I put the side lights on the temp gauge will go up 1-2 deg c put the head lights on and another 1-2 deg c then main beam a further 1-2 deg c however when the main beam goes on the Rev Counter drops about 500revs??? Now I get the feeling it’s an earth fault and the ignition relay is in line with the display and lights this is why I have focused on the relay, has anyone else had similar symptoms that may relate to something else?

Back to the coolant after draining and finding it was nothing but water I am glad I changed it now however I had a stubborn air pocket which covered the Center of the rad! Was a bloody pain to shift!

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Like Steve_d, I have purchased Pyro Dan's replacement relays. They are so cheap, that I carry around one or two in my Moto-pouch so that I can replace as needed.

I've needed them twice. Once, my headlight suddenly wouldn't go off, and it turned out to be a relay, easily replaced. The second time, a relay stopped the bike cold. Also, easily done.

Now I'm having intermittent problems with my 999s after a hot day riding last summer, and will replace the relays in that bike as well. When I can, I carry electrical spares, as it is much better than a tow truck, if the $4 part turns out to be the problem.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts