Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second SuperSport is about ready to go and I'm looking at this heavy blob of metal that the key goes into hanging down on the side of the bike and I'd like to get rid of it. Don't necessarily need the key and I've been considering taking it apart and sawing off the parts that provide a steering lock as its not needed. So, I am wondering if anyone has found an inexpensive alternative, using any key or not, but something easily clamped to the frame under the gas tank?

Love the keyless/proximity radio ones I've seen, and maybe someday, but over $100 is too much right now.

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
268 Posts
If you don't need the security feature, the easiest is to buy a nice metal switch at the auto parts store. Check the wiring diagram but I believe you need 4 poles (two separate connections), at least that's what I did on my 998

·
Registered
735 Posts
maybe woodcraft-cfm.com can make you a custom switch.....

Fred

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
i haven't paid any attention for a while, but with ignition on is it just red into orange? and the grey and yellow are for the park circuit with the ignition locked? any flip switch should be fine. you could run it into a relay as the trigger if you wanted to give it some protection, i don't recall now if the ss uses a master relay. don't think it does.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the yellow is for the park function, but I'm terrible at reading diagrams.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that was exactly what I am looking for, thanks!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
that'd be the later connector i think - 916, ssie, st, etc. yours will have a 6 way molex i think.

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
525 Posts
I did the same on my old carbed monster by junking the key/switch part and fitting one half of an AMP 3 Pin connector. The other half of the connector had a cable looping/joining the pins and was in effect my Key. I tucked the connector down near the airbox where no one would think to look to hotwire it. Worked a treat and cost 4 Euros.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
If you do not care about the park position it is just 2 wires to connect so a simple switch does the job. My track bike has a simple toggle with a arming switch cover so it is easy for me to tell if the bike is live or not (no lights/gauges). I hate not riding when I want to so no cheap switches for me, a quality weather-tight switch with arming cover will not set you back much at all and not saving a couple dollars to know it was built for rain,dust and vibration means it should last. A quality switch will still be under $20 a cheap switch will save you probably $10-15 but the nuisance of being stranded when it fails makes it not worth the effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts