Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best ignition components for our old carbies ? Coils, Ignitors, etc ? Too many stories out there about the non stock components being junk. What should I buy ?

·
Registered
904 Posts
The consensus seems to be to use Ignitech ignition units and Nology coils, but I think specific Nology units are required due to need to match impedance, and I don't know if they are appropriate for use with the stock ingiters. Liam at Fast Bike Gear in New Zealand is recognized as the best source for those parts and related information. I replaced my coils with ExactFit from CA Cycleworks, just because mine were old. I haven't had any issues with them other than the physical fit isn't really "Exact"

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve upgraded my plug wires and caps, and replaced the coils with red ones, can’t remember the brand, but supposedly superior to stock. Upgraded battery cables, single point grounding. It’s inevitable that the stock stuff will fail, and as the bike is apart I may replace the stuff as I put it back together. But, I want it to be an upgrade, and some of the other stuff is not any better, maybe worse. So, ignite has components replace what ? And what more should I replace. Who makes good igniters ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Depending on your budget... I’d strongly recommend Ignitech controller, Nology coils of the proper impedance (0.3 ohm I think?), and a throttle position sensor.
I don’t recall, have you got FCR’s on your bike? If you do there are retrofit TPS kits available.
All this stuff and a useful amount of well laid out instructions can be got from Liam at Fast Bike Gear.
It’s been a while since I compared pricing, but the Ignitech module used to be a very economical alternative to replacing stock igniters, and the low speed ridability even without a TPS is a night and day difference. I’d have to say the Ignitech itself was my single best modification ever.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No fcr’s , stockers. IgniTech sounds like a winner, I’ll look into it. I think my coils are 3 ohm so they might be ok.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think my coils are 3 ohm so they might be ok.
I had 3 ohm coils when I first installed my Ignitech, and things worked just fine.
When I switched them for the lower impedance (0.3 ohm I think) I noticed that without making any other adjustments my bike was idling about 300rpm faster, so I was able to back off the idle adjuster screw slightly.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I suspect the coils will work. Liam at Fast Bike Gear has a detailed manual on the Ignitech that you can buy for around $10. It's very well done. If you get the Ignitech unit from him he can answer all your questions. There is quite a bit of info on this forum about it too, if you search on that term.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nology coils will leave you stranded at the furthest most point from home possible. Went thru 3 sets.
Get the Dyna coils. I have 80,000 miles on mine on one bike and 263,000 on the other.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that’s what I have. Aren’t they red ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you end up running CA Cycleworks coils, call Chris. You'll end up changing plugs too as his coils run hotter than OEM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts