i run it with my SS 1000 DS engine, together with two del'orto carbs,
it is nice, bike is running very well, i have got nothing negative to say
and would prefer it against that super expensive silent hektik stuff at
any time.

cheers.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am almost done with my wife's monster project. I put an FI 900 engine into a carb 750 monster. I converted the ign system with the TCP unit. Mushi gave me some good hints on what to do. He put a 1000ds engine into a carb bike as well.

The bike runs fine on the stand so far. The instructions included are sketchy at best. One thing to be aware of is that if you run the engine with the module still connected to your laptop. There are red/green status blocks that will let you know that the mocule is getting a clean signal. You can trouble shoot any issues that way. It helped me sort out a bad ground connection on the CKP sensor.

From a cost perspective, I paid $165 about 4 months ago for the unit. The ducati performance modules cost at least that much per ign module. Took about 2 weeks to arrive. They will answer e-mials, but english as a 3rd language issues lead to more head scratching than it was worth. I have the DP tach on the monster, and have not sorted out the 3 wire arrangement with the TCP module yet. Still have to put the front end back on the bike, so I'm a ways from that stuff yet. Plan is to get the bike on the road running first, then I'll sort the tach out.

My only complaint is that the connector that comes with the unit is crappy. Too much space for water intrusion, and the "ears" don't flip over and hold. Poor retention design. I routed the wires into the airbox, and velcro'd the TCP unit inside. I used one of the EVAP openings, and then sealed the rest with silicone.

If this works out ok on the monster, I may add one to my carb track bike, so I can fart around with the ign mapping.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You will have to rewire the ign control circuits for both cylinders. Add new wires for power and ground. Look backwards on the thread I started last winter. Muschi and I posted some crude schematics.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine did not come with a harness. I'll assume that if you are just using one for a stock Carb or FI bike, then you'll have a premade harness available. Since I was bastardizing a mix of both, then you have to run your own wires. I also had to convert from single phase to 2 phase rectifier etc ...

No big deal.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine did not come with a harness. I'll assume that if you are just using one for a stock Carb or FI bike, then you'll have a premade harness available. Since I was bastardizing a mix of both, then you have to run your own wires. I also had to convert from single phase to 2 phase rectifier etc ...

No big deal.
Oh right, mine's just a stock carbie. Read the swap stuff by you and Muschi, pretty unreal! Very cool...Thanks again for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts