Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't get to take the 999 out very often as it is my wife's bike and she is very protective of it. Today I was off and the wife was not, enough said. I took the bike for a quick spin and ended the ride at a coffee shop. As I was inside enjoying my coffee and keeping an eye on the bike; I noticed several people coming into the coffee checking out the bike, walking around and so on. I guess enough people did it that two ladies sitting in the table next to me, asked me if all the attention the bike was getting makes me nervous? This type of thing happens ofter with the 999 but not when I am riding my bike, the 1098. I guess I now know why the wife is so protective of this bike.

Any other 999 owner noticed this? 999 was our 1st Ducati, we always loved the way it looked but couldn't afford one when new.
If you have similar stories, please share.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The 999 is distinctive and does attract attention. No one mistakes it for anything but a Ducati.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I had mine out last week and we stopped downtown Milwaukee on a ride near a restaurant with outdoor seating. I didn't really pay any attention to anyone, I'm used to the looks I get now. My bike is definitely not stock, people are often not sure what it is when it's just sitting there parked. But it also has a 63.5 exhaust on the back and although I can't hear a thing I'm told it makes a very deep angry rumble...:D

We got back from tooling around and I went out to warm the bike up. I was facing the patio with maybe 20 or so people eating outside. I started it up and every head swiveled around and people were craning their necks to see what the fuss was all about. :) If I didn't have to work so much lately I'd definitely be out on it more. I've yet to go to a bike night or anything like that so I'm curious what others will think. I took it for a quick ride up to Corse Superbikes and the people in the parking lot had a bunch of questions but other than that I haven't really been out on it much this year.

The hell with it, I'm going for a ride. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I have to get some better pics of it when it's actually clean...lol My brother keeps coming into my shop and doing bodywork on fiberglass parts and making a hell of a mess. That's why the floors are so dusty. I'm waiting on a corse tail so that it doesn't look so strange to have the exhaust sticking so far out the back end of its ass...:cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to get some better pics of it when it's actually clean...lol My brother keeps coming into my shop and doing bodywork on fiberglass parts and making a hell of a mess. That's why the floors are so dusty. I'm waiting on a corse tail so that it doesn't look so strange to have the exhaust sticking so far out the back end of its ass...:cool:
great paint job, retro colors and writing on a newer bike. Better pictures would be great. Be sure to post them

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,073 Posts
This is nice. Real nice. The retro "DUCATI" along the bottom works really well!

·
Registered
620 Posts
The triple 9 in race livery looks really nice and I love the rabid, metallic sound it produces at full throttle but I just wish it wasn't so very different from its cousins (998 and 1098) when it comes to seating position/geometry.

Both the 998 and 1098 have a much more aggressive, forward sloping geometry than the 999 and sadly I just can't get used to the thing...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have yet to own a 999 but I will.
Try riding the bayliss, It feels like you just finished a race and giving an interview everytime you get off the thing

·
Registered
463 Posts
The day I took my advanced MSF class I had a guy run across a busy 4 lane street to see my 999R. When I was coming out of the class room to get started on the actual riding portion of the class the instructors were outside taking pics of it with their cell phones. Even the Harley guys were drooling over her, I was like WTF!

As long as you can slide your ass around and know where to sit the 999 is actually a really capable bike at very low speeds. I still prefer the way she feels at 70+ though.

·
Registered
227 Posts

That looks great. I love the paint job. That was a really good idea. The black frame and motor is a nice touch too.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have always gotten good reactions and I am often surprised by the people interested. Kids, Mothers, other brand riders have come up to compliment the bike and ask questions. If it's parked anywhere for even a short time I know I am going to have a few people around asking question. Doesn't take long before they all ask "how much did that cost" ,most all think Ducati's cost far more then they do.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I love the 916. Classic, unique, distinct Italian styling. The 999 is much the same. I have never regretted buying mine.

Wait. Yes I have. I regret it when I see a 999S or a 999R.

The only thing I lust for in the new superbikes is the weight reduction.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've said this from the day I first saw a 999; the only knock against it is that it had to replace the 916, and as the years roll by the design will gain respect and popularity. Kind of the opposite of the 1098 imo....

Artistimo, that is one sweet example of the breed.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have recently been working finishing my 999s project, which sits right next to my 996sps.

Everywhere I went with the 999 people could not keep their eyes off of it, and that was prior to its freshining...

My 996 is dripping with tons of aftermarket goodies, from PVM calipers, wheels, 54mm Ti exhuast to a fresh $6k motor rebuild etc. etc.

While the 996 looks cool, rides well, makes lots of noise, the 999 is such a different beast, much more comfortable, and has such a different feel to it. Yes the big twins have a similar motors, yet the 999 revs faster and funny as it seems has a better exhaust note than the SPS.

Bottom line, the 999 handles way better, much more intuitive of the rider, the 996 you force to do its deeds, the 999 reads your mind.

The SPS will continue to sit, and the 999 will go for a blast this weekend, yeah baby!

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have recently been working finishing my 999s project, which sits right next to my 996sps.

Everywhere I went with the 999 people could not keep their eyes off of it, and that was prior to its freshining...

My 996 is dripping with tons of aftermarket goodies, from PVM calipers, wheels, 54mm Ti exhuast to a fresh $6k motor rebuild etc. etc.

While the 996 looks cool, rides well, makes lots of noise, the 999 is such a different beast, much more comfortable, and has such a different feel to it. Yes the big twins have a similar motors, yet the 999 revs faster and funny as it seems has a better exhaust note than the SPS.

Bottom line, the 999 handles way better, much more intuitive of the rider, the 996 you force to do its deeds, the 999 reads your mind.

The SPS will continue to sit, and the 999 will go for a blast this weekend, yeah baby!

Cheers,
Mark

Well, if she's just sittin idle, mind if I borrow her for the wknd...

1 - 20 of 118 Posts