Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my ST4S for nearly a year now, having previously had a Monster S4R (same 996 desmoquattro engine). I find the ST much more satisfying to ride in terms of comfort, riding position and stability . It is more pillion-friendly and has the added advantage of panniers when needed. All in all a much more versatile bike which suits my needs better. It's also very quick when needed.

I do feel however that for some reason, it doesn't seem to get the recognition that some of the (undoubtedly beautiful) Ducati sports bikes get.

So, if the ST was a car, which make & model would it most closely match in terms of looks & performance & practicality?

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
It's clearly a very sporty do-it-all. Maybe mazdaspeed miata? Or maybe a 3-series wagon?

Or if we are on the Italian theme, what about the alfa romeo brera? Sporty, but somewhat odd, yet sexy, looking. Some hauling capability. Definitely sporty.

As we have one, maybe also a saab 9-3, if only it was RWD? Great, yet not-too-large, motor. It can carry a lot in a good package. And, loves a bit of modification, esp to the breathing.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking that it's kind of like an Audi A4 Avant - the ST2 would be the base A4, the ST4 would be like the S4 and the ST4s would be like the RS4. Sporty, versatile and a bit of a sleeper.

·
Registered
965 Posts
avanti .

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
How did TopGear put that? Well, there's this:

If you catch the rest of Season 17 Episode 5 on Netflix or some torrent, the thought of even a resto-rod Interceptor would make me hide the ST in shame. =)

Definitely cool looking cars, just not up to the ST standard as a package.

Have a good one.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
The 400i came to mind for me as well.
That would be right for me , classy italian , fast , functional (ignoring reliability) but totally unknown to the majority of tin box owners despite the badge.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am an old car guy. I gave up 20 years as a derivatives trader and seat holder on 3 different exchanges to eventually get into the car business. I am a big fan of the cars from the 80's yea I am 47 so that’s about right for me.

The Ferrari 400i was not officially sold in this country and I technically have not owned one but I have spent a lot of time in one. Like these bikes it’s an "exotic" but one that offers more versatility and practicality if you can use those terms about a Ferrari. It’s a car like our bikes that sets you apart from the masses yet are understated enough you can take it anywhere. Of course it offered a very high level of performance and high even by today’s standards exactly like our bikes.

I am a Porsche guy at heart having owned 25 911’s, all of them pre 1999 air cooled versions. The reference to the Cayenne exists too, but our bikes are a closer match to the 2008-10 Cayenne GTS. That model gave you all the goodies of the turbo and turbo S but with only a 405 bhp normally aspirated motor.

Of course I still miss my 1990 e30 M3 which also is a very good proximity for our bikes. It’s a race car in thinly veiled street clothing.

·
7,733 Posts
There weren't a lot of V-twin cars to choose from. :D
LOL, no, there weren't. :) I meant that the level of sophistication between a Ferrari V-12 and a Desmo L-twin makes the 400i an interesting but not realistic comparo. If Ducati had done the right thing, and brought to market a true, paved-road going gentleman's express ST bike, based on the L-4, d-16 engine, then the sophisticated, high reving multiple cylinder comparo might be a better one. :) But even in terms of the "coach", the ST is more comparable with a 2+2 coupe, not a sedan IMO. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would compare it with Ferrari 456 GT Evoluzione. 2+2 coupe, Italian, of the same era.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 31 Posts